Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I don't get the hype over Minter

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well then, maybe they belong with the Patriots...
    Embarrassed to say I had to stare at this for some time before I got it.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Timmons is best when he's playing in the box instead of dropping into coverage. Did you notice at the end of the season when Troy was playing, Lebeau wasn't dropping Timmons into coverage as much and we were able to create turnovers.

Timmons doesn't always have to blitz, but the threat always has to be there. That will force guys to account for him so their QB doesn't get killed.

And that's why I'd like another LB with Timmons' skillset playing next to him. That way you don't know who's dropping and who's covering. Heck, Woodley was pushing 300 lbs and DL still has him dropping to cover RBs/TEs regularly. And he's often adequate.

The reality is the guy next to Timmons is gonna drop half the time and have to cover WRs/TEs/RBs. So a guy like Minter would have been a much better fit 5-10 years ago. Now he doesn't offer the same value.

And given Tomlin's track record, he like LBs with athleticism and he likes positional flexibility.
    I agree Flippy! Timmons in the box scares QB's. Kind of like Troy does. But with Timmons in the box no need for Troy to be faking it (out of position) or being in the box. I want another Timmons like ILB. Think this was the idea for Spence. He is just so much a unknown now. He had the skills to cover coming in but does he now? I think there will be a few athletic ILB or OLB that can play 3-4 ILB in rounds 3-7. Split time with Foote this year and learn. Maybe get lucky and he be a ok back up at OLB? That way if Spence can come back and shine it would not be a wasted pick. Or Timmons can still back up OLB with Spence and drafted ILB playing the middle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I hate the combine. People start seeing times, height/weight, etc. and make decisions on players. Look at the player's tape and talk to the player. That's how you rank them. Maybe, and I say maybe, use the stats from the combine as a tie-breaker. What the guy does on the field during games determines what kind of player he is. Not, as they say, what he does in gymn shorts.
    ehhh I think for the most part the combine does it's role... every once and a while a work out warrior moves up and a good player falls but it's not that common.

I think a bigger concern is all the mid major players who get left out because they didn't have a certain name on the front of their jersey.

Starter

User Info Menu

I regurgitate every time I read one of Lloydroid's 8,000 threads...

Administrator

User Info Menu

This is the problem I have with 40 times. A guy like Dion Jordan tested very well. At 6'6 240 lbs, that guy is going to get manhandled by a LT. I'm just as impressed with Minter running a 4.8 at 6'1 247lbs as I am with Dion Jordan.

Dion Jordan should probably gain another 25 pounds with his frame. Will he run a 4.6 with 25 extra pounds? Doubtful. So, what does that mean? That means that by the time Jordan is NFL-ready from a size standpoint, he'll likely be slower than Minter.

I said the same thing about Hightower last year. I said the same thing about Timmons when he was drafted. He was quick and fast but he was to small and it showed especially for an ILB. Timmons is now NFL size and it shows. Can Timmons run the same time he ran in the NFL Combine with his added weight? No way. Do you honestly think Timmons could run faster than a 4.8 at his current size. I HIGHLY doubt it. Put that into perspective when you put a preference on a faster undersized player compared to a slower but NFL-ready (from a size perspective) player..
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    This is the problem I have with 40 times. A guy like Dion Jordan tested very well. At 6'6 240 lbs, that guy is going to get manhandled by a LT. I'm just as impressed with Minter running a 4.8 at 6'1 247lbs as I am with Dion Jordan.

Dion Jordan should probably gain another 25 pounds with his frame. Will he run a 4.6 with 25 extra pounds? Doubtful. So, what does that mean? That means that by the time Jordan is NFL-ready from a size standpoint, he'll likely be slower than Minter.

I said the same thing about Hightower last year. I said the same thing about Timmons when he was drafted. He was quick and fast but he was to small and it showed especially for an ILB. Timmons is now NFL size and it shows. Can Timmons run the same time he ran in the NFL Combine with his added weight? No way. Do you honestly think Timmons could run faster than a 4.8 at his current size. I HIGHLY doubt it. Put that into perspective when you put a preference on a faster undersized player compared to a slower but NFL-ready (from a size perspective) player..
    Yeah and what you will get out of Dion Jordan will more than likely be what Seattle got out of Bruce Irvin....8 sacks...and nothing else (10 solo tackles all year).
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I regurgitate every time I read one of Lloydroid's 8,000 threads...
    Who is forcing you to read them?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Who is forcing you to read them?
    Suggestion..go youtube the LSU-Florida game (20 tackles-17 solo, 2 sacks), this past year or the Texas A & M game (who had a great O-line-12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT), or the Clemson game (19 tackles).

For the season (in the SEC), he had 130 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 6 PD's, 1 FF.

Sorry man...I am impressed. Big time.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Interesting. It sounds like you might have taken a look at the article in SS Laser's thread Winners and Losers where he posted a link to an evaluation system that was in a Bleacher Report.

There was little response. I think I know why. Usually those systems are real technical and gobbledegooky. But I took a look at it anyhow and actually it was quite simple. It was in 3 parts. Part 2 is 1st since it is very common.

2.. He added the Reps, vert jump, and the broad jump. Simple enough. This is also very popular and is usually called the KEI. [Kirwan Explosion Index] A Score of 70 is considered real good for the bigger guys. DL OL LB.

1. He then averaged the 40, short shuttle and 3cone for these players. Explained in the article.

"The first component is the Dynamic Speed Average, or DSA. This measurement determines the complete speed of a prospect by averaging the times between their 40-yard dash (straight-line speed), three-cone drill (change-of-direction ability) and short shuttle (lateral speed/stop-and-go). This number is a more complete representation of a player's actual football speed than any one drill in a vacuum."

Okay, still simple enough except for all the fancy labeling. Between the KEI and the attempt to determine actual football speed that should be more than enough to get a very valid measure of a players athletic ability.

But then, he had to go to a step 3. Now the gobbledegooky crap came in. He has some method of including the weights, height etc. It definitely changed some results. And IMO was not necessay since most players in each grouping are similar in size. Although, it did make sense in the WR grouping since these players range from 5-8 168 pds to 64-5etc but even then you could simple regroups them according to size for evaluating purposes.

Conclusion. I don't think anyone read the article. But actually of the 21 players he measures. Almost everyone that was a winner was a player well regarded on the board, and actually some of the losers were also players rapped here. So maybe must watching players is the best system after all.

But if someone could see the value of including the size factor maybe that would be the edge in truly ranking players.

SteelZ09 seemed to include the #3 size factor in his post. He also replied to the "Winners and losers" thread. Maybe that is where he got that idea?

Starter

User Info Menu

Maybe this will be clearer?

Conclusion. I don't think anyone read the article. But actually of the 21 players he measures. Almost everyone that was a winner was a player well regarded on the board, and actually some of the losers were also players rapped here. So maybe must watching players is the best system after all.

But if someone could see the value of including the size factor maybe that would be the edge in truly ranking players.

SteelZ09 seemed to include the #3 size factor in his post. He also replied to the "Winners and losers" thread. Maybe that is where he got that idea?[/FONT][/COLOR]