Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I don't get the hype over Minter

Starter

User Info Menu

Well that seemed to work, might as well try and finish it.

"[COLOR=#373737][FONT=Droid Sans]The first component is the Dynamic Speed Average, or DSA. This measurement determines the complete speed of a prospect by averaging the times between their 40-yard dash (straight-line speed), three-cone drill (change-of-direction ability) and short shuttle (lateral speed/stop-and-go). This number is a more complete representation of a player's actual football speed than any one drill in a vacuum."

Okay, still simple enough except for all the fancy labeling. Between the KEI and the attempt to determine actual football speed that should be more than enough to get a very valid measure of a players athletic ability.

But then, he had to go to a step 3. Now the gobbledegooky crap came in. He has some method of including the weights, height etc. It definitely changed some results. And IMO was not necessay since most players in each grouping are similar in size. Although, it did make sense in the WR grouping since these players range from 5-8 168 pds to 64-5etc but even then you could simple regroups them according to size for evaluating purposes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Suggestion..go youtube the LSU-Florida game (20 tackles-17 solo, 2 sacks), this past year or the Texas A & M game (who had a great O-line-12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT), or the Clemson game (19 tackles).

For the season (in the SEC), he had 130 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 6 PD's, 1 FF.

Sorry man...I am impressed. Big time.
    OK, I watched some of the vids. He did make a lot of plays, but I did also see a back or WR outrun him on the outside, leaving him in the dust in not in position to lay a finger on them. I am guessing you will tell me it's not his role to catch any ball carriers on the outside, and maybe you are right. I am just saying I have seen NFL ILBs make those plays, including Timmons, on a regular basis. Even Ray Lewis, with his 4.7 speed (not bad, but not great) make plays on the outside, running down a ball carrier trying to go outside and then upfield.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    OK, I watched some of the vids. He did make a lot of plays, but I did also see a back or WR outrun him on the outside, leaving him in the dust in not in position to lay a finger on them. I am guessing you will tell me it's not his role to catch any ball carriers on the outside, and maybe you are right. I am just saying I have seen NFL ILBs make those plays, including Timmons, on a regular basis. Even Ray Lewis, with his 4.7 speed (not bad, but not great) make plays on the outside, running down a ball carrier trying to go outside and then upfield.
    lloydroid, WR's are suppose to outrun LB's. And for the most part so are RB's. Look, Minter played in the best conference in all of college football and he raked up tackles and big plays. He is always going to be better coming forward/downhill than he is going away/sideline but if he played for the Steelers he would be next to one of the best pursuit LB's in the game. It would be a great fit. And of course I feel the same about T'eo. But we all know that.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    lloydroid, WR's are suppose to outrun LB's. And for the most part so are RB's. Look, Minter played in the best conference in all of college football and he raked up tackles and big plays. He is always going to be better coming forward/downhill than he is going away/sideline but if he played for the Steelers he would be next to one of the best pursuit LB's in the game. It would be a great fit. And of course I feel the same about T'eo. But we all know that.
    At this point, I am willing to concede you might be right; you have watched him a lot more than I have. The only reason I doubted him, is the seemingly visible slow speed I watched him run the 40. I just thought good NFL LBs ran faster than that. But if what you say is true, he will be a tackling machine in the middle of the field, and won't be relied on to cover too much, or make tackles on plays that go outside.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    At this point, I am willing to concede you might be right; you have watched him a lot more than I have. The only reason I doubted him, is the seemingly visible slow speed I watched him run the 40. I just thought good NFL LBs ran faster than that. But if what you say is true, he will be a tackling machine in the middle of the field, and won't be relied on to cover too much, or make tackles on plays that go outside.
    The reality of it is that there are a lot of good NFL ILB's who ran 4.75 or above at their combine. The 40 isnt nearly as important for that position as the 3 cone drill and the two shuttle drills.

D'Qwell Jackson 4.79
    Curtis Lofton 4.79
    Stephen Tulloch 4.84
    Lance Briggs 4.75
    Lofa Tatupu 4.83
    Barrett Rudd 4.75
    James Laurinaitis 4.76
    Vontaze Burfict 4.93
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash