Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: wide receivers at combine

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    And it took a trick play from El to Ward to put it away...Just saying.
    Gotta put that one on Ben. Just saying.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Comparing Wallace to Moss is laughable. Moss had everything a WR needs to have: High pointing the ball, strength to fight through defenders, body control, etc. Wallace can't hold Moss's jock

Laughable? You absolutely can comapre Wallace to Moss's ability to be a deep ball "Bomb" threat. No one said he has Moss's all around talent... Not for a second. Moss was most certainly the better player in his early years. But Wallace is in that vertical threat category that can burn teams and instantly change the complection of a game... For the record I am no Wallace fan and I hope the door doesn't slap him in the butt for turing down 10M a year (if true). My point is that not just any receiver can replace Wallace's big play skillset and what that has done for the offense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Gotta put that one on Ben. Just saying.
    Well that is easy. BB's first SB and a terrible game. But I seem to remember the Hawks being all over our WR because they didn't feel threatened by them. I seem to remember the Hawks being able to walk a S down into the box and still not be able to stop our run game. All the way back to 2005 though you had to go. How about the last two? We had a couple of guys named Holmes & Wallace surrounded by Ward & Brown. Just look from that game you mentioned until present at all the SBs. There was some "names" at QB & WR in thsoe games. Coincidence? Nah. I mean did Flacco get that good through the years and that was the difference or was it because the put some guys like Smith, Boldin, & Jones on the field with him & Rice? We won't do the "can get by with average WRs debate"....Won't happen. If you think Hines Ward, Antwan Randle-El, & Cedrick Wilson in their prime with BB could get a SB win today...I will have two of whatever you are drinking.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    2005 Superbowl winning receivers: Hines Ward, Antwan Randle-El, Cedrick Wilson.

Just saying.
    Be fair, compare the running game in 2005 to 2012. The two parts work hand in hand.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

For the record, the best WR in this draft class, in Chadman's opinion, is DaRick Rogers.

But the dude is a character concern, and here's betting the Steelers steer well clear of character issues this season.

As for Brown playing the "x"... Brown is not 'fast' (4.5, but he is quick. Wallace was fast. The only reason Brown performed better running Wallace's routes was because he didn't know the routes run by Hines Ward. So to accomodate this, they moved Wallace into Ward's role, and put Brown in Wallace's role. Or something like that. Apparently the plan is to now put Brown into the "x" fulltime, so the Steelers need a WR to run Hines' old routes.

How successful this will be is yet to be determined.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think that Brown can easily be an X...

He is within 1 inch, 6 lbs and .02 sec 40 time of Santonio Holmes' numbers at the NFL combine...

Holmes was an excellent X WR for us...Brown can be as well...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Well that is easy. BB's first SB and a terrible game. But I seem to remember the Hawks being all over our WR because they didn't feel threatened by them. I seem to remember the Hawks being able to walk a S down into the box and still not be able to stop our run game. All the way back to 2005 though you had to go. How about the last two? We had a couple of guys named Holmes & Wallace surrounded by Ward & Brown. Just look from that game you mentioned until present at all the SBs. There was some "names" at QB & WR in thsoe games. Coincidence? Nah. I mean did Flacco get that good through the years and that was the difference or was it because the put some guys like Smith, Boldin, & Jones on the field with him & Rice? We won't do the "can get by with average WRs debate"....Won't happen. If you think Hines Ward, Antwan Randle-El, & Cedrick Wilson in their prime with BB could get a SB win today...I will have two of whatever you are drinking.
    Mostly joking, but Brady's has had both good receivers and bad ones. Still wins. There are more than one way to skin an animal.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think that Brown can easily be an X...

He is within 1 inch, 6 lbs and .02 sec 40 time of Santonio Holmes' numbers at the NFL combine...

Holmes was an excellent X WR for us...Brown can be as well...
    I think he'll be fine too. His explosive athleticism reminds me of Steve Smith. I think he can learn to consistently beat double teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    funny you should say that...

I just watched one of his highlight videos, and the thing I liked the most was that he caught everything with his hands, whether it was screens, crossing routes, or deep balls. He high pointed the ball and went up for on several plays too. It was a breath of fresh air to see a receiver doing those things after watching the Steelers last year.

I would absolutely like to see him taken in the 3rd if still around.
    yeah, and mayock talked ablout nhis hands.

but in that drill he let it into his body. maybe he wasnt used to it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I want a receiver that runs routes well and catches the ball consistently, speed is secondary especially in Haley's offense. Now if we get a receiver that has all three its a plus.
    I would only pick a WR in round one who can do the above, a speed guy is only good if he has the other parts of his game in place.

As a group the Steelers had one of the best receiver corps before the fall off this past season, we have other positions that are important too.
    IF one of the top receivers is there when we select I would consider taking him but not over the BPA.

Example, Jarvis Jones, kenny Vacarro, and both Pattterson and Hopkins are there, who would you pick. I love players on the offensive side of the ball but it would be hard for me to pass up Jones in favor of a WR.

it would be an easy choice for me when i take into account jones wont probably be starting until at least 2014 while the wr may be startuing by week 5