Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: wide receivers at combine

  1. #51
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    There is also a reason why guys like James Harrison and Willie Parker went undrafted...again, not concerned so much with the past, but with the future...



    Yes I did watch the game, which is why I specifically referenced it. No, it is not the "argument killer", it is merely an example...when I watched the game, I was actually amazed at how well Brown got off the line with NA right in his face...that's why I brought it up...now, whether or not he caught the ball on a given play is different...I was speaking merely in terms of how well he got off the LoS in that particular game...

    More later...I have to go back to work...
    You went from posting combine numbers of AB to mentioning UDFA players? Come on Slap. I rarely saw the Eagles press or have a chance to press. You can even watch the highlights and see. Better feel would be the Browns game when Wallace wasn't there. Brown caught 2 balls that game on Haden and his TD was a great play by him when BB scarmbled towards the LOS and Haden lost him.

    You say you are not concerned with the past but the future. Not sure what you mean there. You talked about Brown's combine and how those numbers make him an X. Brown logged three years here (past) not as the #1. Wouldn't you have to consider the past and where he played with Wallace if you want to project him in a new spot replacing Wallace? Brown is a hell of a football player...But he won't bring what Wallace did to the field. There isn't a guy on the roster who could do that. Brown will have to prove he can be the man before I crown him anything.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.



  2. #52
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,128
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You went from posting combine numbers of AB to mentioning UDFA players? Come on Pap. I rarely saw the Eagles press or have a chance to press. You can even watch the highlights and see. Better feel would be the Browns game when Wallace wasn't there. Brown caught 2 balls that game on Haden and his TD was a great play by him when BB scarmbled towards the LOS and Haden lost him.

    You say you are not concerned with the past but the future. Not sure what you mean there. You talked about Brown's combine and how those numbers make him an X. Brown logged three years here (past) not as the #1. Wouldn't you have to consider the past and where he played with Wallace if you want to project him in a new spot replacing Wallace? Brown is a hell of a football player...But he won't bring what Wallace did to the field. There isn't a guy on the roster who could do that. Brown will have to prove he can be the man before I crown him anything.
    JPN, I'm a bit scared that you're thinking about me when you're replying to Slapstick.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #53
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    JPN, I'm a bit scared that you're thinking about me when you're replying to Slapstick.

    Pappy
    Lol Sorry Pap. Got Luv for all of ya!



  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You went from posting combine numbers of AB to mentioning UDFA players? Come on Slap.
    Umm...you were the one who said there was a reason that Brown went in the fifth round and Holmes went in the first...

    After that, if it's that much of a stretch to then say that there are reasons other players (on the same team) went undrafted, perhaps your aren't being as resonable as I originally thought...

  5. #55
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Umm...you were the one who said there was a reason that Brown went in the fifth round and Holmes went in the first...

    After that, if it's that much of a stretch to then say that there are reasons other players (on the same team) went undrafted, perhaps your aren't being as resonable as I originally thought...
    I mentioned two WRs that were 5 rounds apart because of their skillset & abilities. Then you throw out an UDFA LB & RB? Where did that relate? You were all over the place...You lost me. My comments were in relation to the skills & limitations between Holmes & Brown when drafted. Your first comments was "Antonio Brown is more than fast enough to be the X in the Steelers offense". It wasn't the combine measureables that made the two 5 rounds apart. I'm being reasonable..Brown may or may not be a #1. He isn't there and he will have to prove he can be.



  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Brown may or may not be a #1. He isn't there and he will have to prove he can be.
    On that, I can agree...

  7. #57
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    He is paid like a #1 though.....



    But Chadman won't bring up the argument on how good the deal was, or wasn't...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  8. #58
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,264
    I really get irritated when people talk about Wallace and think he is a good receiver only because of his speed. While Wallace has great speed his best asset is he knows how to use it. When you run a post it doesn't mean you go flat out top speed from the first step. That won't get you open in the NFL. If it did then Darrius Heyward Bey would be a superstar. I think he ran around a 4.25 for the forty and he is 6' 2" and over 200 pounds. By definition he should be a monster receiver. I don't know about anybody else but I wouldn't trade the remains of Limus Sweed for DHB.

    How did a receiver like Jerry Rice get open deep with his 4.6 speed? The answer is he knew when and how to use the speed he has. Wallace also knows when and how to use his jets. No, I'm not saying he is in the class of Jerry Rice. I'm only using Rice as an example of how the slower guy can be successful just like I used DHB of an example of how a fast guy can fail. Wallace is more than just a fast receiver. He is a fast receiver that knows how to use his speed to get separation from the defenders.

    I am a Wallace fan but didn't like the way he played this past year. The debate shouldn't be whether Wallace is a damn good receiver. He is. The debate should be whether he is worth the money he is asking for.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •