Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walter football Mock.... steelers first four picks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Really??? Have you forgotten who our Def Coord is? We would likely waste Jones' rookie season on special teams like every other defensive playerLeBeau gets
    That is depressing. DL only likes guys who are 10-year vets or older. Pathetic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That is depressing. DL only likes guys who are 10-year vets or older. Pathetic.
    [sarcasm]Yes, that's why our defense has been so bad under him. If only he would have played Woodley, Allen, Timmons, Troy, etc. instead of waiting until their tenth anniversary. [/sarcasm]
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Walter's Football has another mock up from Charlie Campbell (whoever that is). He has the Steelers taking:

1. Mingo, OLB
    2. JJ Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern
    3. LeVeon Bell, RB
    4. TJ McDonald

With the players still available where the Steelers where picking, I'd probably go:

1. Cooper or Vaccoro
    2. Ertz, Terrance Williams, Barrett Jones or De'Andrew Hopkins
    3. Bell makes sense, and that mock also had Chase Thomas, OLB available
    4. McDonald makes sense, as could Terron Armstead (boom or bust), John Bostik, ILB, Brandon Jenkins, OLB
    I like playing this "who would you take based on who this guy has available when we pick" game.

From Walter's mock, I would be ecstatic with Jarvis Jones and DeAndre Hopkins with our first two picks and wouldn't change anything there. However, instead of taking Montee Ball in round 3, I'd hold off on RB and take a chance on the injured Marcus Lattimore in round 4 instead (hoping he'll fulfill his round 1 promise in 2014; he could be a Frank Gore or Willis McGahee type of recovery story). With that 3rd round pick, I'd inject some much needed depth behind the aging Polamalu and Clark with Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson.

From Charlie's mock, with Jarvis Jones off the board 2 picks before us (and Mingo too much of a boom or bust guy for my liking in round 1), I'd take UNC guard Jonathan Cooper first, then Stanford TE Zach Ertz in round 2 (although with Hopkins available here as well, that's mighty tempting...Heath's injury is the clincher for me here), Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer in round 3, and South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore once again in round 4.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is the 5 round mock Walter posted yesterday:

1. OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
    2. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
    3. WR Terrence Williams, Baylor
    4. G/C/OT David Quissenberry, San Jose State
    5. RB Jawan Jamison, Rutgers

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php[/URL]

If we came out of the first two days of the draft with Jarvis Jones, Kevin Minter, and Terrence Williams, I would be beyond thrilled. Then to get the type of versatile o-lineman the Steelers love (and one who was impressive at the Senior Bowl to boot), plus a RB with the same build as another former Rutgers RB (Ray Rice), would be icing on the cake.

A LB corps of Jones-Timmons-Minter-Woodley (with Worilds and Foote as depth) would be awesome, but adding a productive wideout like Williams to Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Burress would round out our WR corps quite well. A stating OL of Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams with Beachum and Quissenberry as a couple of versatile utility guys for gameday depth is solid. And Jamison would surely push Dwyer and Redman for playing time in the backfield. Nice.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Here is the 5 round mock Walter posted yesterday:

2. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
    3. WR Terrence Williams, Baylor
    4. G/C/OT David Quissenberry, San Jose State
    5. RB Jawan Jamison, Rutgers

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php[/URL]

If we came out of the first two days of the draft with Jarvis Jones, Kevin Minter, and Terrence Williams, I would be beyond thrilled. Then to get the type of versatile o-lineman the Steelers love (and one who was impressive at the Senior Bowl to boot), plus a RB with the same build as another former Rutgers RB (Ray Rice), would be icing on the cake.

A LB corps of Jones-Timmons-Minter-Woodley (with Worilds and Foote as depth) would be awesome, but adding a productive wideout like Williams to Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Burress would round out our WR corps quite well. A stating OL of Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams with Beachum and Quissenberry as a couple of versatile utility guys for gameday depth is solid. And Jamison would surely push Dwyer and Redman for playing time in the backfield. Nice.
    I would like that draft a whole lot.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sold at all on Monte Ball. Seems like alot of wear on a young body. Not to mention being in a long line of prolific Rbs at Wisconsin who thrive behind huge run blocking OLmen.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I love Jarvis Jones in round one so much I would remove Rhodes from my mock, but if he's there in the second I would take Eifert the best TE in the draft IMO. I take Le'veon Bell over Ball in a heatbeat.
    As for Jones there is still a slight chance we could land him, some teams are still concerned of his medical history and others like the Browns who wanted him might shy away with their recent FA signings.

If we somehow do draft Jones, the Steelers have to get him on the field in some capacity besides special teams, the kid is to good to ride the bench.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I love Jarvis Jones in round one so much I would remove Rhodes from my mock, but if he's there in the second I would take Eifert the best TE in the draft IMO. I take Le'veon Bell over Ball in a heatbeat.
    As for Jones there is still a slight chance we could land him, some teams are still concerned of his medical history and others like the Browns who wanted him might shy away with their recent FA signings.

If we somehow do draft Jones, the Steelers have to get him on the field in some capacity besides special teams, the kid is to good to ride the bench.
    I don't see any way Eifert makes it down to pick #48...he's separated himself from the pack at TE enough that he's almost assured himself of a first round slot (worst case scenario would be early 2nd). Would you be just as willing to take the 2nd TE, Zach Ertz, if he's available in the middle of round 2? I would certainly consider it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't see any way Eifert makes it down to pick #48...he's separated himself from the pack at TE enough that he's almost assured himself of a first round slot (worst case scenario would be early 2nd). Would you be just as willing to take the 2nd TE, Zach Ertz, if he's available in the middle of round 2? I would certainly consider it.
    If Jones isn't there @17 I'm taking Eifert as I consider him the best TE in the draft. I don't see any TE's after Eifert good enough to be picked in round two JMO.
    No matter who we pick in round 1-3 I want him to be the BPA on the board when we pick regardless of the position he plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Walter's latest for us:

2. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
    3. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
    4. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
    5. WR Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

I love the first two picks (Zach Ertz would be tempting in round 2, but I'd have to take Minter if he fell to us at #48), and hate the 3rd round pick, especially with Eric Reid still on the board for us in round 3. Davis is a physical freak who was productive in 2010, then injured in 2011, and a complete non-factor in 2012 even though he was healthy. In the 4th, why would you be willing to take a chance on an average TE like Kelce coming off sports hernia surgery and not a potentially elite RB like Lattimore coming off knee surgery...if you are going to take a chance on an injured player in the middle rounds, you might as well swing for the fences. Kenny Stills provides solid value in round 5, so I'd stick with that pick. Based on who Walter has available for us where we are picking, I would take:

2. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
    3. FS Eric Reid, LSU
    4. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
    5. WR Kenny Stills, Oklahoma