Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Sio Moore = James Harrison?

  1. #11
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,813
    Physically, yes, Harrison is/was the superior specimen in body build and strength. Lambert was easily the better mentally prepared and stable player he played with a controlled rage each and every game and always knew what was happening in the game and manned his responsibilities. Lambert may have been "trucked" as you say, I didn't watch every game and it would be my bet that the trucking occurred simply because the back attained an advantage in angle, leverage or speed, not because they were mano-a-mano in the hole and he ran Lambert over like a rag doll.

    I don't recall Harrison ever getting "trucked" to be sure but he is an outsside backer and is rarely taking on a running back that is running north and south like a middle linebacker in 43 defense would be doing many times per game. Both players could get off blocks and make tackles, Lambert by not allowing the blocker into his body (at 6'4" tall he had long arms) tio engage him and Harrison typically by brute strength.

    Had Harrison had a longer career at a high level he would be a HOF candidate and Lambert was easily a HOF candidate and inductee.

    Both players are great Steelers and will always remind me of great Steeler teams and defense. Selling one short because he played 30-35 years ago in a different era of football is silly.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Physically, yes, Harrison is/was the superior specimen in body build and strength. Lambert was easily the better mentally prepared and stable player he played with a controlled rage each and every game and always knew what was happening in the game and manned his responsibilities. Lambert may have been "trucked" as you say, I didn't watch every game and it would be my bet that the trucking occurred simply because the back attained an advantage in angle, leverage or speed, not because they were mano-a-mano in the hole and he ran Lambert over like a rag doll.

    I don't recall Harrison ever getting "trucked" to be sure but he is an outsside backer and is rarely taking on a running back that is running north and south like a middle linebacker in 43 defense would be doing many times per game. Both players could get off blocks and make tackles, Lambert by not allowing the blocker into his body (at 6'4" tall he had long arms) tio engage him and Harrison typically by brute strength.

    Had Harrison had a longer career at a high level he would be a HOF candidate and Lambert was easily a HOF candidate and inductee.

    Both players are great Steelers and will always remind me of great Steeler teams and defense. Selling one short because he played 30-35 years ago in a different era of football is silly.

    Pappy

    Well, I did watch pretty much every game that Lambert played and I can't remember a single time I saw him "trucked". I'd love to see a link to those plays. Lambert was probably one of the most technically supperior tacklers I've ever seen. Everytime he hit the runner he redirected the runner against the runners will.

    If you didn't watch the LBs of the 70s don't discount how good they were because when it comes to Ham and Lambert I'd take them over any LB we have had in the past 25 years.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well, I did watch pretty much every game that Lambert played and I can't remember a single time I saw him "trucked". I'd love to see a link to those plays. Lambert was probably one of the most technically supperior tacklers I've ever seen. Everytime he hit the runner he redirected the runner against the runners will.

    If you didn't watch the LBs of the 70s don't discount how good they were because when it comes to Ham and Lambert I'd take them over any LB we have had in the past 25 years.

    Yeah I never saw Lambert get trucked either. And I so agree with you about Lambert and ham.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  4. #14
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well, I did watch pretty much every game that Lambert played and I can't remember a single time I saw him "trucked". I'd love to see a link to those plays. Lambert was probably one of the most technically supperior tacklers I've ever seen. Everytime he hit the runner he redirected the runner against the runners will.

    If you didn't watch the LBs of the 70s don't discount how good they were because when it comes to Ham and Lambert I'd take them over any LB we have had in the past 25 years.
    I'm with you, Ham and Lambert are still regarded as two of the best linebackers of all time by peers, former coaches and the media (save for a few players with sour grapes, basically any Raider). They both had the full complement of skills to play the position, they weren't just run stoppers or pass defenders or pass rushers, they were great at every facet of being an NFL linebacker and their first ballot enshrinement in the HOF verifies that fact.

    I'm sure somewhere along the line both Ham and Lambert got in a position where the back had the advantage and lost the battle (every player does), but both tackled very well, Ham probably better than Lambert, but there weren't many yards gained after they hit you.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Pap was right- it's going to be very, very difficult to fill the shoes of James Harrison. In fact, Chadman would say, nearly impossible. So much so, that it's a better idea to not even try to 'replicate' Harrison, but invest in a player with his own skill set & physicality.

    The leverage point is well made, and something the Steelers obviously take to heart- in the last 7 years, how many LB's drafted have been taller than 6'2"?

    From this draft class, Eric Martin from Nebraska might be worth a look- about the right size (6'2" 250lbs) and plays with a bit of a mean streak (some might say a little out of control..).
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  6. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,861
    Lambert and Ham? Different era...

    If JH played back then he would probably put a few guys in traction.

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Lambert and Ham? Different era...

    If JH played back then he would probably put a few guys in traction.
    Gotta consider that without current diet & training schemes, he wouldn't have been as big or powerful back then.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  8. #18
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Pap was right- it's going to be very, very difficult to fill the shoes of James Harrison. In fact, Chadman would say, nearly impossible. So much so, that it's a better idea to not even try to 'replicate' Harrison, but invest in a player with his own skill set & physicality.

    The leverage point is well made, and something the Steelers obviously take to heart- in the last 7 years, how many LB's drafted have been taller than 6'2"?

    From this draft class, Eric Martin from Nebraska might be worth a look- about the right size (6'2" 250lbs) and plays with a bit of a mean streak (some might say a little out of control..).
    I think Sio Moore is more built like and plays like James Harrison than Eric Martin.

    And if for some reason the Steelers were to get Jarvis Jones, I think he would have a problem replacing James Harrison.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Bump!! This is the guy right here to replace James Harrison. And he could be had in round two. A first year combination of Worilds and Moore I think will suffice. And if Worilds pans out then this gives the Steelers some flexibility on what they can do with LaMarr Woodley (contract-cap wise).

    Sio Moore has a ton of similarities to that of a young James Harrison.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I've seen Jack ran over like he got hit by a Mack Truck by backs like Earl Campbell and Pete Johnson. I have never seen JH get trucked. His lower leverage and insane strength makes that impossible.
    did you really just use Earl Campbell as if he was just some RB? Pretty sure he would have trucked JH as well... C'MON MAAAN!

    I would guess both Bettis and guys like the much taller Fuamatu-Ma'Fala trucked JH a time or two in practice....
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •