Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward says Steelers locker room in total disarray

Legend

User Info Menu

Ward says Steelers locker room in total disarray

INDIANAPOLIS — Hines Ward doesn't recognize the Pittsburgh Steelers as he sees them today, about a year after leaving the franchise. He also doesn't like what he's hearing.

Ward told the NFL Network on Friday that the Steelers are in “total disarray” in their locker room and that the current chatter there wouldn't have gone on when he was there.

In recent days, there has been speculation about LaMarr Woodley's supposed weight problems, which even Steelers coaches talked about months ago, and wide receiver Antonio Brown said there was a rift between players who are concerned about team goals and other who were more focused on individual goals. Ryan Clark also mention a possible fracture in the locker room.

Ward, who holds the Steelers career receptions record, suggested the losing team leaders — he didn't mention them, but they included Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith — has hurt the Steelers internal chemistry.

“When you lose so much leadership in the locker room that is where things present itself like that,” Ward said. “Guys start finger pointing, calling out other guys. That's not the Steeler way. We always had a rule: We are a band of brothers. We've always collectively kept everything in-house. But there was no finger pointing and calling out each other. That's total disarray, a locker room in disarray.”

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday there was no such rift, saying he and coach Mike Tomlin closely monitor such things.

Ward also said he regretted having a Ray Lewis-like farewell tour with the Steelers. Ward began the 2011 season as a starter, lost his job midway through the season and by the end was a only a complementary player. The Steelers chose not to bring him back for 2012 and he joined NBC as a Sunday night game analyst.

That's the whole thing about it,” Ward said. “I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the opportunity to run around and congratulate the fans and really just thank them for so many great years. I always wanted that. … I always thought I could play football for another season, if I had been healthy.”

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3534225-74/steelers-ward-locker#axzz2Lf7ysZ3n[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I called this one before these guys came out and confirmed it all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ward never called Ben out publicly?

Legend

User Info Menu

cant be. tomlin has this under control

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ward never called Ben out publicly?
    Maybe Ward thinks he's the problem again. Afterall Ward and Farrior may have been the only 2 guys to keep Ben in check. Ward would call him out in public. And Farrior would call him out to be a better teammate to everyone in the locker room.

On the other hand, if it was Ben, I'm sure Haley woulda flipped his lid by now. But then again, Haley may be on his best behavior because he's in awe of the Steelers. I'm sure next season will be a little more raw from Haley and we may finally learn a little bit of what's really going on.

Legend

User Info Menu

When teams are winning, the locker room is one big happy family and when losing, they're usually not. Why is anyone surprised by this shocking revelation about the 2012 Steelers?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I called this one before these guys came out and confirmed it all.
    I take it you grew up without much positive reinforcement???
    You are so AWESOME, you need to start your own CULT
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hines Ward was my favorite Steeler, but he is not the most insightful guy around (as anyone who watches his little commentaries with Bob Costas on SNF can attest). Nor is he particularly shy of making remarks that would serve HIM well (i.e. since he left, leadership waned). I'm not saying it's totally untrue, but don't go thinking that he doesn't have alterior (self-centered) reasons for his opinion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Hines Ward was my favorite Steeler, but he is not the most insightful guy around (as anyone who watches his little commentaries with Bob Costas on SNF can attest). Nor is he particularly shy of making remarks that would serve HIM well (i.e. since he left, leadership waned). I'm not saying it's totally untrue, but don't go thinking that he doesn't have alterior (self-centered) reasons for his opinion.
    Hollywood and the media have mastered the art of taking an inch and the whole 9 yards along with it.

Watch a real boxing match and then watch a Rocky movie.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I take it you grew up without much positive reinforcement???
    You are so AWESOME, you need to start your own CULT
    You are confusing. HINT: When trying to apply ridicule, make sure it's not too clandestine to be understood. FAIL.