Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ward says Steelers locker room in total disarray

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Hines Ward was my favorite Steeler, but he is not the most insightful guy around (as anyone who watches his little commentaries with Bob Costas on SNF can attest). Nor is he particularly shy of making remarks that would serve HIM well (i.e. since he left, leadership waned). I'm not saying it's totally untrue, but don't go thinking that he doesn't have alterior (self-centered) reasons for his opinion.
    I disagree on two fronts: He is insightful and he was one HELL of a leader. Without Hines, and his push of the team to win a SB for Bettis, I don't think we even win that ring. Let's make no mistake: His criticisms of Ben are on the money. Ben is no leader. The team sees his actions, and his sideline words are for the cameras and they all know it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Hollywood and the media have mastered the art of taking an inch and the whole 9 yards along with it.

Watch a real boxing match and then watch a Rocky movie.
    Again, your attempted assertion is a mystery. What is your point? That Ward's comments are akin to a real boxing match compared to a Rocky movie? Huh? I don't even understand your attempted point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    When teams are winning, the locker room is one big happy family and when losing, they're usually not. Why is anyone surprised by this shocking revelation about the 2012 Steelers?
    Only agree to a point. What came first, the bad chemistry or the losses? I would say the poor unity often exists causing the poor play. Just go back and look at the body language, etc. of that team last year. Several of the players just were not embracing the team effort. They had malcontents. I have no doubt about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, unless I'm missing someone else, I would say the problems in the locker room from 2012 will be fixed in 2013.

Mendenhall and Wallace will both be gone......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I disagree on two fronts: He is insightful and he was one HELL of a leader. Without Hines, and his push of the team to win a SB for Bettis, I don't think we even win that ring. Let's make no mistake: His criticisms of Ben are on the money. Ben is no leader. The team sees his actions, and his sideline words are for the cameras and they all know it.
    The same Ben that made the shoe string/game saving tackle against the Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs? The tackle that negated a potentially game changing fumble by the aforementioned Jerome Bettis…

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anger 82&95 View Post
    The same Ben that made the shoe string/game saving tackle against the Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs? The tackle that negated a potentially game changing fumble by the aforementioned Jerome Bettis…
    Yea that was folk hero status. No doubt. That was one play, albeit awesome. I am not saying Ben is the biggest problem, far from it. But he is not enough of a leader to pull this train. We saw what happened with the loss of leadership.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Originally Posted by SidSmythe

Hollywood and the media have mastered the art of taking an inch and the whole 9 yards along with it.

Watch a real boxing match and then watch a Rocky movie.
    Again, your attempted assertion is a mystery. What is your point? That Ward's comments are akin to a real boxing match compared to a Rocky movie? Huh? I don't even understand your attempted point.
    He simply means the media is over-exaggerating the story coming out of Pittburgh. Just as "Rocky" did with boxing.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never said he wasn't a leader... I just said (along with 95) he was my favorite player. I'm just saying that Hines is not particularly sharp with his comments. On SNF (and interviews in general, when he was a player) he is a Captain Obvious type, who gave very little in terms of true insight. And as I said, he has a certain level of self-absorption (i.e. since he left, leadership fell off) that pretty much all professional athletes have.

As far as what you say he thinks of Ben, that's speculation on your part. Just like I would say Ben is a leader--it's my speculation.