Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take it for what its worth: Steelers drooling over Ansah

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's a followup on the assessment of Cooper:

"2013 NFL Combine: Bench Press Recap - Offensive Linemen

The most impressive bench press total belongs to North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper. He weighed in heavier than expected at 311 pounds and apparently that added weight is muscle. Cooper tied for second with the largest number of reps on the bench press with 35. He benefits from having short arms (33 inches) but the strength was impressive to see considering he is known as a blocker who features rare speed and agility. Cooper is helping himself in the early going at the Combine."
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

I really hope the Steelers don't go OL with 1.17 if you can't develop a good offensive line with 2-first round picks, 2-second round picks and a couple of veterans that have been serviceable then you need evaluate your scouting and your coaches, not the players.

Just my opinion on 1.17, too many other areas that need to be addressed.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh, I agree Pappy, they can't afford to go OL in the first this year. The LB situation is too pressing to ignore this year. We have to fix the pass rush. Plus, we'll need to pickup a WR and RB somewhere along the way as well.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I really hope the Steelers don't go OL with 1.17 if you can't develop a good offensive line with 2-first round picks, 2-second round picks and a couple of veterans that have been serviceable then you need evaluate your scouting and your coaches, not the players.

Just my opinion on 1.17, too many other areas that need to be addressed.

Pappy
    I generally agree with you, though watching the combine a bit this morning, Cooper looks like an amazing athlete, and Wexell has been drooling over his play for a while. I suppose there are worse things than having 3 elite interior offensive lineman, but my preference is still for a skill player on either side of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Walter Football shows that the Steelers have indeed met with Ansah at the combine. Here's a short list of prospects they've interviewed and shown interest in up til now....

Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU (COM)
    John Cooper, G, North Carolina (COM)
    Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM)

Interestingly enough, they haven't interviewed Warmack. I read an article yesterday that had some disappointed in him at weigh in because he was only 6'2".

[URL="http://walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php"]http://walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php
    [/URL]
    They probably view Cooper as a better fit for the new zone scheme. Cooper can really run and strike targets at the second level and downfield. I really think Lane Johnson is a possibility at 17. I think he'd immediately be the best LT on the team and could eventually be an all pro. I know, I know we have two tackles we drafted in the second round. But, I don't care one bit. Protecting Ben is priority number one if you want to have a successful season. Gilbert and Adams do not inspire confidence at this point. Besides, having 3 viable options at OT is really a necessity in today's NFL.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    They probably view Cooper as a better fit for the new zone scheme. Cooper can really run and strike targets at the second level and downfield. I really think Lane Johnson is a possibility at 17. I think he'd immediately be the best LT on the team and could eventually be an all pro. I know, I know we have two tackles we drafted in the second round. But, I don't care one bit. Protecting Ben is priority number one if you want to have a successful season. Gilbert and Adams do not inspire confidence at this point. Besides, having 3 viable options at OT is really a necessity in today's NFL.
    FYI you can take Travis Kelce off your board. One scout described him as a "character trainwreck"

Legend

User Info Menu

will he even be able to drop back and cover as we ask our OLBs to do at 275 LBs

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    FYI you can take Travis Kelce off your board. One scout described him as a "character trainwreck"
    I live in Cincy. Word is that he was a mess in 2010 when he was suspended. Now, they say he is still a little bit out there, but he has his coach's and teammates' respect. He is a very hard worker in the running game, an unselfish, punishing blocker (that tells me something about his character). He is a bit of risk, but he is probably a 2nd round talent who will go later because of the off-the-field stuff. He has good speed and great hands, and he runs good routes.

He could turn out to be a great pro and a good draft value.
    Last edited by steelblood; 02-24-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I agree on the LT first then G if BPA. Why not? Ben has taken a ton of hits and injuries. He is a franchise QB! Lets keep him around healthy. If some of the old players on D can stay healthy no rookies will see the field anyway. Pick some guys 2nd round and down to teach and groom. If a team hits on some 3rd round CB's and WR's. Later round CB's,WR's ETC why not use the premium pick for the o-line and d-line if that is what it takes? The Steelers have tried to use 3rd and later rounds for o-line and d-line and seem to have missed most times.

If you agree this team could make a run with a healthy Ben, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, ETC. Lets grab a player that is BPA at 17 and will start this year. Not retool for 2 or 3 years down the road. If a retool is the plan then trade down for some extra picks and take BPA at a area of need for next year or 2.

Gilbert has played OG. So Lane Johnson, Gilbert, Pouncy, Decastro, Adams should be a monster line by playoff time. Defense should be fine if Harrison is here and healthy. Same for Troy,Clark, ETC. Also NEED Lewis I think. Ike, Lewis and Cortez should be even better then last year.

Maybe a UDFA from last year is in the works? Maybe a UFDA can be found again this year that can be a good or great player. Helps offset some of the stinker picks the Steelers have had the last few years. Maybe a low prices FA can come in and help more then anyone thinks.

I know EVERYONE wants a superbowl every year. But sometimes the playoffs are good enough. There is a 2014 draft to keep going. One year draft can really be good but a stinker wil not destroy a good team. Just look at the 2008 draft! Did it hurt? Yep, but this draft can help replace those stinker picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert has played OG. So Lane Johnson, Gilbert, Pouncy, Decastro, Adams should be a monster line by playoff time. Defense should be fine if Harrison is here and healthy. Same for Troy,Clark, ETC. Also NEED Lewis I think. Ike, Lewis and Cortez should be even better then last year.
    Was just going to say the same thing- if Lane Johnson IS the target, Gilbert could be scheduled to 'do a Colon' and move to OG.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE