Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarvis Jones Passing On Combine

Legend

User Info Menu

Fair enough. It's entirely possible that Chadman's opinion on it does not allow for those that are sure-fire Top round picks...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Rookies that get invited, and accept the invitation to the Combine, and then choose to skip, or not fully participate.... that just seems like a lost opportunity.

Or it looks like they have something to hide.
    Sometimes they have nothing to gain, and much to lose.

If for example I was a beast on the field but my timed speed numbers or lift numbers are good but not great, I might slide if someone else does better.

Example Vontaze Burfict, note the quote just after the combine:

Burfict came into the Combine at 248 pounds, which is a little lighter than he normally plays. You'd thinklosing that weight would help his speed but that wasn't the case. He ran the 40-yard dash in unofficial times of 4.93 and 5.10 seconds.That's not a good time, not at all. Dontari Poe, a 346-pounddefensive tackle, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 seconds. That's about a 100-pound difference between the two and they have similar speed. 30 olinemen were fASTER.

He was also last in the broad jump among linebackers and second to last in the vertical leap. He has a lot to be desired in these workout numbers.

Burfict was once thought of as a first-round pick but character concerns along with poor test numbers are killing his draft stock.

It hasn't been a great week for the Arizona State linebacker. The question is how many teams pass on him in April.
    Every team passed on him, he was not drafted at all.
    While there already were concerns about Burfict's attitude, which dropped him out of the first, the combine KILLED HIM, and he was not drafted at all.

How stupid does that look now?

Quote:
    "Burfict’s presence on field made a notable difference for the Bengals this season. When Burfict was on field, the Bengals defense allowed 2.4 yards fewer per play compared to when he was off the field.

How big of an impact was that? There were 230 players this season who were on field for at least 500 plays and off the field for 100-or-more plays. In that sample, no player’s team took a bigger hit when going off field than the Bengals did with Burfict.

To be more exact,the difference in rush yards per play was 2.8 (6.4 to3.6) and thedifference in pass plays was 2.4 (8.7 to 6.3). For youuber-math nerdsout there, at 127 total tackles in 858 plays, that equates to Burfictbeing involved in a tackle 15 percent of thet ime. "

In hindsight Burfict would have been better served skipping the combine,especially if he had any ideal what his measurables were going to be.

If Jones test poorly will he go undrafted? No.

If he tests like Burfict, he drops out of the first.
    He is at worst a first round lock if he skips the combine.

He may indeed have something to hide, but he SHOULD hide bad numbers it if dumb teams will let clock times, or reps kill his stock
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-21-2013 at 06:27 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    gotta disagree here chadman.

jones has all the tape he needs for NFL teams to see. Nothing he does in gym shorts can really help him, IMO. Its all medical with him, if there are any issues.
    On this we agree. The Combine does nothing for Jones or any of the other top players who have hours of game tape on them. It has become more of a fan thing and program filler for the NFL Network
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yep.

seems like the senior bowl practices are just as big now. Or maybe it always has been, I'm not sure. Obviously for the seniors.

sure helped eric fisher this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

The most valuable part of the combine for NFL teams is the medical checks, by far.

The second most valuable part of the combine for NFL teams is the interviews.

The part that we all get to see on TV...the running, lifting, jumping, etc. is far less important.

No teams (at least no smart teams) are going to draft a Mike Mamula type solely because of an impressive workout in Indy.

I think the only real difference that the athletic portion of the combine can make is when you have a guy who you didn't have rated super-high, but tests super-well, then maybe you go back and watch his tape again with more of a fine toothed comb to see if you notice more potential on gameday than you noticed at first glance. Conversely, if you have a guy that you rated really well based on his tape, but he performs surprisingly poorly in combine drills, you might also want to rewatch some of his tape more closely to see if he just has better game speed than track speed, for instance, or how he is compensating to perform well on Saturdays in spite of not being supremely athletically gifted (comparatively, of course).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The most valuable part of the combine for NFL teams is the medical checks, by far.

The second most valuable part of the combine for NFL teams is the interviews.

The part that we all get to see on TV...the running, lifting, jumping, etc. is far less important.

No teams (at least no smart teams) are going to draft a Mike Mamula type solely because of an impressive workout in Indy.

I think the only real difference that the athletic portion of the combine can make is when you have a guy who you didn't have rated super-high, but tests super-well, then maybe you go back and watch his tape again with more of a fine toothed comb to see if you notice more potential on gameday than you noticed at first glance. Conversely, if you have a guy that you rated really well based on his tape, but he performs surprisingly poorly in combine drills, you might also want to rewatch some of his tape more closely to see if he just has better game speed than track speed, for instance, or how he is compensating to perform well on Saturdays in spite of not being supremely athletically gifted (comparatively, of course).
    Remember D Poe?
    Average COLLEGE player, workout beast?
    How soon we forget....well you said "no good teams", at least.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1418600-why-dontari-poe-is-the-chiefs-biggest-project[/URL]
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-21-2013 at 07:54 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher