Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones Passing On Combine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones Passing On Combine

Per ESPN, Jones has decided not to work out at the Combine. Will focus on Pro Day.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Reports have said he doesn't like to work out. Wonder if that has anything to do with this decision? As far as his physical condition goes, I mean.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Reports have said he doesn't like to work out. Wonder if that has anything to do with this decision? As far as his physical condition goes, I mean.
    he has nothing to prove.

I heard him on ikes show and JJ has been working with him down at tom shaws place in florida.

if his medical is clean, he's easily a top 10 pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookies that get invited, and accept the invitation to the Combine, and then choose to skip, or not fully participate.... that just seems like a lost opportunity.

Or it looks like they have something to hide.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Rookies that get invited, and accept the invitation to the Combine, and then choose to skip, or not fully participate.... that just seems like a lost opportunity.

If they have no where to go but down, I understand it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

gotta disagree here chadman.

jones has all the tape he needs for NFL teams to see. Nothing he does in gym shorts can really help him, IMO. Its all medical with him, if there are any issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

jones has all the tape he needs for NFL teams to see. Nothing he does in gym shorts can really help him, IMO. Its all medical with him, if there are any issues.
    Then don't accept the invite to the Combine.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

On this we agree. The Combine does nothing for Jones or any of the other top players who have hours of game tape on them. It has become more of a fan thing and program filler for the NFL Network
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Sometimes they have nothing to gain, and much to lose.

If for example I was a beast on the field but my timed speed numbers or lift numbers are good but not great, I might slide if someone else does better.

Example Vontaze Burfict, note the quote just after the combine:

Burfict came into the Combine at 248 pounds, which is a little lighter than he normally plays. You'd thinklosing that weight would help his speed but that wasn't the case. He ran the 40-yard dash in unofficial times of 4.93 and 5.10 seconds.That's not a good time, not at all. Dontari Poe, a 346-pounddefensive tackle, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 seconds. That's about a 100-pound difference between the two and they have similar speed. 30 olinemen were fASTER.

He was also last in the broad jump among linebackers and second to last in the vertical leap. He has a lot to be desired in these workout numbers.

Burfict was once thought of as a first-round pick but character concerns along with poor test numbers are killing his draft stock.

It hasn't been a great week for the Arizona State linebacker. The question is how many teams pass on him in April.
    Every team passed on him, he was not drafted at all.
    While there already were concerns about Burfict's attitude, which dropped him out of the first, the combine KILLED HIM, and he was not drafted at all.

How stupid does that look now?

Quote:
    "Burfict’s presence on field made a notable difference for the Bengals this season. When Burfict was on field, the Bengals defense allowed 2.4 yards fewer per play compared to when he was off the field.

How big of an impact was that? There were 230 players this season who were on field for at least 500 plays and off the field for 100-or-more plays. In that sample, no player’s team took a bigger hit when going off field than the Bengals did with Burfict.

To be more exact,the difference in rush yards per play was 2.8 (6.4 to3.6) and thedifference in pass plays was 2.4 (8.7 to 6.3). For youuber-math nerdsout there, at 127 total tackles in 858 plays, that equates to Burfictbeing involved in a tackle 15 percent of thet ime. "

In hindsight Burfict would have been better served skipping the combine,especially if he had any ideal what his measurables were going to be.

If Jones test poorly will he go undrafted? No.

If he tests like Burfict, he drops out of the first.
    He is at worst a first round lock if he skips the combine.

He may indeed have something to hide, but he SHOULD hide bad numbers it if dumb teams will let clock times, or reps kill his stock
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-21-2013 at 06:27 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope it causes him to fall to pick #17
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB