Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GM Colbert: Steelers are not old or in transition

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Hampton is no longer on the team
    He was last year. We have no idea who will be on this team next season. Any of the old guys could be shipped out. We just don't know.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
    beat me to it lemming.
    Get used to it.
    People often underestimate the the uncanny speed of the lowly lemming

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Pats have 7 starters over 30 and two aged 29...

They are SO much younger than the Steelers...
    Pats are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. Pgh is the 5th oldest. I'd say that makes the Pats relatively - and fairly significantly - younger than Pgh is. 5th youngest vs. 5th oldest? You can roll your eyes all you want, but it looks pretty silly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You can find old teams that win the SB (Ravens), and you can find young ones that win the SB. (The Cowboys were the youngest team in the NFL won their 1st SB in their run in the 1990s.) It's not as simple as that. But when you are an old team, you should at least consider trying to get younger as if not, you WILL eventually be too old to contend. Ravens pulled out a W because of a perfect storm of conditions: Ray announced this was his last ride and they got some key players back from injury and Flacco started playing his best football ever. That being said, it is unlikely that Balt will win another ring soon. Colbert has already come out and said it: When you go 12-4 and are winning or contending for SB, you are hesitant to make many personnel changes; but when you go 8-8 with an older team, it is time to make some moves.
    But the "perfect storm" happened with the help of the veterans on an old team.
    Had they purged this team of its aged veteran to soon this ring does not happen.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But the "perfect storm" happened with the help of the veterans on an old team.
    Had they purged this team of its aged veteran to soon this ring does not happen.
    That's exactly the point. Ravens had not fallen to being an 8-8 team prior to this year. Like Colbert said, when you go 12-4 and are contending for a ring, you tend to do everything to keep that group together, as Pgh and Balt had done the last several years, as both were contending for a title. Balt. proved that they made the right choice by keeping their group together, as Pgh proved they were right to do so all the way up to this season. Now it appears Pgh most likely needs to get rid of some of the old guys, as they just stunk it up for much of the season. I would love for Pgh to resemble a team like Seattle, who is young and really coming on. And the Pats, Packers and Vikings are all in the top 7 youngest teams as well. When Dallas their first SB in their 90s run, in 1993, they were the youngest team in the entire NFL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pats are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. Pgh is the 5th oldest. I'd say that makes the Pats relatively - and fairly significantly - younger than Pgh is. 5th youngest vs. 5th oldest? You can roll your eyes all you want, but it looks pretty silly.
    It's more about how old your starters are. Pittsburgh is the 5th oldest starting team. I don't know what their rank is for total team.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    It's more about how old your starters are. Pittsburgh is the 5th oldest starting team. I don't know what their rank is for total team.
    Well, we know they have 8 starters over 30. That seems pretty high. And that is even WITH moving on from Ward, Aaron Smith, Farrior. Wait, is Starks over 30? That would make 9. Starks is 31. Colon might be 30 too. That is 10.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers are the 5th oldest team. That kind of does prove they are kind of old.
    It would be interesting to see how much that average age would be changed if you removed Harrison & Hampton from the roster.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Oh, I'm sorry...

Here, I thought we were referring to starters...now, why would I think that? Oh, that's right...because WE WERE REFERRING TO STARTERS...

Pittsburgh had 8 starters over 30 while the Pats had 7...my point still stands...

Legend

User Info Menu

Most of the teams in the league have older and younger players. I doubt the age difference between teams (player for player) is that drastic. Regardless of age or any other nonsense the Steelers competed with every team they faced. A play here or there in a few games and they would had made the playoffs. Turnovers were a bigger issue then age last season. The Steelers will be fine going forward.