Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike vs Lewis

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You are in danger of encroaching on Lloydroid territory...
    Then it's safe to say that the point is made.

Besides, we have draft stuff to chat about now..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Agreed. As much as the Steelers would normally make sure that this was a player who doesn't slip the net, circumstances may not allow it this time around.

The Steelers need to drop around $16m to get under the cap- but even if they do that without cutting anyone, they have 42 players on the roster. They need to find cap space for a further 11 players.
    Not keeping young talent is a formula for disaster. There's an insane number of guys not getting past their rookie contract in Pittsburgh. Holmes, Wally(?), Mendy(?), Lewis(?). Add in other top draft picks not making an impact yet and you have to wonder what in the world is going on here?

The Steelers are on the verge of being a complete mess. At the same time, they could easily turn this around and be competitive.

I don't know what the problem is. I think it might be Rooney in Ireland. Colbert/Tomlin deserve their share of accountability.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Not keeping young talent is a formula for disaster. There's an insane number of guys not getting past their rookie contract in Pittsburgh. Holmes, Wally(?), Mendy(?), Lewis(?). Add in other top draft picks not making an impact yet and you have to wonder what in the world is going on here?

The Steelers are on the verge of being a complete mess. At the same time, they could easily turn this around and be competitive.

I don't know what the problem is. I think it might be Rooney in Ireland. Colbert/Tomlin deserve their share of accountability.
    Or, it could be a matter of players being head cases (Holmes, Mendenhall) or overestimating their own value (Wallace)...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Taylor will make $9,454,166. If you cut him before June 1st, it creates $6,908,334 of dead money with a $2,545,832 cap savings. Personally, I don't think Ike is going anywhere.

The Steelers will have the ability to tender all their RFA and keep one of the three URFA below who will get attention.
    Wallace
    Lewis
    Foster

Since it appears Wallace priced himself out, Lewis looks like the target. I don't believe they will pay Foster even close to what another team will offer. Retaining Lewis isn't a difficult task if they want to keep him. It may involve additional cuts but it should be a priority signing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Or, it could be a matter of players being head cases (Holmes, Mendenhall) or overestimating their own value (Wallace)...
    Why are we drafting so many headcases?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Taylor will make $9,454,166. If you cut him before June 1st, it creates $6,908,334 of dead money with a $2,545,832 cap savings. Personally, I don't think Ike is going anywhere.

The Steelers will have the ability to tender all their RFA and keep one of the three URFA below who will get attention.
    Wallace
    Lewis
    Foster

Since it appears Wallace priced himself out, Lewis looks like the target. I don't believe they will pay Foster even close to what another team will offer. Retaining Lewis isn't a difficult task if they want to keep him. It may involve additional cuts but it should be a priority signing.
    How many additional cuts? And who will have to be cut? How many holes does that leave? Is it possible to fill those holes adequately?

More than just additional cuts, re-signing Lewis will likely require restructuring of some of the big $$ contracts some of our older veterans are under. How much more can you afford to do those kinds of restructures, and "kick the can down the road" with those aging players?

As I said, the Steelers may decide that they really can't afford to re-sign Lewis.

I think they'll allow him to test the market...I think a team or two will recognize his talent, and offer him a big $$ contract...and I'm not optimistic that the Steelers will then choose to match it.

Legend

User Info Menu

It could also be the result of pushing all those contract restructures around. At some point, the piper has to be paid. It looks like now is that time.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"Because nice guys don't play football." "That's why girls don't play football."I don't think you can avoid headcases. I think you have to weigh the good with the bad. Anyone in here who strapped a helmet on knows there is a "demeanour" to be a football player. You are going to come across athletes with an unhealthy level of confidence, attitude, or aggressiveness. This isn't golf. To be honest, at this level, teams wouldn't survive without it. So you will always have your "head cases" or risks in the NFL. That will never change. That doesn't mean all of the players are like that. You could hand pick the "Troys" or "Millers" of the league but believe me....They aren't thinking about being courteous or Godly when they get lined up for a play. There are many personalities that play this game but I would say it is impossible to get all choir boys on a team and be comeptitive. That includes the Steelers. It is just the nature of the beast for a deliberate man.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    How many additional cuts? And who will have to be cut? How many holes does that leave? Is it possible to fill those holes adequately?

More than just additional cuts, re-signing Lewis will likely require restructuring of some of the big $$ contracts some of our older veterans are under. How much more can you afford to do those kinds of restructures, and "kick the can down the road" with those aging players?

As I said, the Steelers may decide that they really can't afford to re-sign Lewis.

I think they'll allow him to test the market...I think a team or two will recognize his talent, and offer him a big $$ contract...and I'm not optimistic that the Steelers will then choose to match it.
    The restructuring and cutting has to be done to meet rule 51. They won't do it just to get under it. They will do it to create operating room, create space for tenders, drafted poole, and sign URFA. You restructure and/or extend BB, Woodley, Timmons, & Miller. You cut Harrison & Colon if they won't take a pay cut. You get compliant with rule 51 and have enough to tender you RFA. You target Lewis before the draft. You be very selective with the other URFA until after the draft.

Remember...First year of deal can be structured where it won't be a big hit on Lewis. But...If you have to cut Clark or Keisel to hold on to Lewis...You do it. This will be there last year. Yes, they were both very productive last year but this is business. Last resort would be a restructure of Taylor or Troy. You pick the one who you will part ways with in 2013 and take the hit.

You are all worried about cutting vets to invest in the future. Don't get too attached to things. This is about the Steelers not the name on the back. "The Steelers would never cut Aaron Smith, James Farrior, or Hines Ward until they were ready to hang it up." How quickly we forget.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why are we drafting so many headcases?
    We've always had headcases...all the way back to Ernie Holmes...

Guys like Lloyd, Justin Strzelczyk, James Harrison...or guys like Tim Worley, Eric Green, Bam Morris...

It just depends upon what type of headcase you have...team players or not team players...