Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who are the all-time best LB units in Pgh?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    Ham, Lambert, and Russell. Without a doubt.
    And add Dennis "Dirt" Winston and Robin Cole who also played significant roles on the back-end of those teams and it is a no doubter for me.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    My vote is for

Woodley
    Timmons
    Farrior
    Harrison

Primarily because of Harrison. I think he's the best of all the Steelers LBs. Not by longevity, but by peak performance.

If we're going by longevity, I'd have to go with Ham. Although, I'd take Timmons over him and think if you plugged Timmons into the 70s he'd be a monster in that system because he has everyone in terms of athleticism.

In terms of versatility, I'd say Chad Brown had that hands down. He was fantastic inside and out. I'm not sure how many guys could make that transition so easily. Timmons can't and he's quite easily the best athlete we've ever had at LB.
    I agree Harrison is the best ever LB in Pgh history at his peak. If he didn't have such a late start, he probably would be a Hall of Famer. Brown seemed awesome but wasn't that great in Seattle so I don't know. But, was the Harrison group better than Lloyd's? Kevin Greene and Lloyd on the outside with Kirkland and Brown in the middle? I don't know man, that is hard to beat. Let's not forget the greatness of Greene and Lloyd.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Farrior played at 218, so yes, I can imagine a 220 lb LB
    But that's the exception, not the rule. And Farrior didn't have his best season when he was that light. Lambert even looked skinny. I don't know that he could bring enough junk in the trunk to get off blocks from 330 lb OGs. They would envelope him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Here is how good Ham was:

Pro football career Ham was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second-round (34th overall) of the 1971 NFL Draft. He won the starting left linebacker job as a rookie. He was first-team All-Pro six years and was named to eight straight Pro Bowls.[1] He was named the greatest outside linebacker of all time by a consortium of professional sports writers, beating Lawrence Taylor for this honor.[

Dobre Shunka!!!
    Better than LT? Were these guys sniffing glue or paint? LT was a one-man wrecking machine. Ham was no where near that level. LT was the only LB to ever win MVP.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    Ham, Lambert, and Russell. Without a doubt.
    Those guys might have been too small to even start in today's game. Maybe they would be safeties.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Jack Lambert was my favorite Steeler growing up, but Deebo is nobody's pussycat. Kent State in the house??
    King Kong himself couldn't make Deebo look like a pussycat. When healthy, he impacts almost every play - pass or rush. It's amazing. His leverage, power, quickness and firepower with his hits is incomprehensible. I have seen Lambert get ran over like a VW bug being hit head on by a Mack Truck (Both Earl Campbell and Pete Johnson did this.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Better than LT? Were these guys sniffing glue or paint? LT was a one-man wrecking machine. Ham was no where near that level. LT was the only LB to ever win MVP.
    LT was a sack master but he can't hold Hams jock strap when it comes to " Complete Linebacker " Like I said, Ham, Lambert Russel the best ever period.
    Now thats my opinion that is shared by many in the NFL and the sports writers.

FO WHEEL!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    On a similar note, PLEASE don't discount players based on accolades. I'm not about to say that Ham/Lambert weren't all that, but anyone who watched Harrison or Greg Lloyd can say that they could've/would've played on those 70's teams too. And if they did, they would've reaped similar accolades.

Let's be honest--you have Joe Greene bringing heat from the inside, and Mel Blount mauling anyone on one side of the field (i.e. shut-down), and it wouldn't be hard for LBs to make some big plays.
    Not just Mean Joe, but _ALL_ the front 4 wreaked havoc: Holmes, LC, White? All were beasts. If you put Lloyd or Harrison on those teams, they would have even stood out MORE than did Ham and Jack.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hypocycloid4Life View Post
    Don't forget...

Little
    Henkel
    Merryweather
    Well, they certainly weren't bad but they don't deserve mention among these 3 groups. I actually had beers with Hinkle. But Merriweather was one of the only players to hold out to the point of never playing for the Steelers again - he ended up in MN and didn't do all that much.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dobre Shunka/ Good Ham

Count dracula in Cleats/ Jack Splat

The lieutenant, Andy's rank in the military

We are not comparing era's and who could of done what, we are comparing the groups and which one the best. The only player in the other group that can even sniff the HOF is Greene.

The Lambert group has the credentials, multiple pro bowl selections, SB's, etr.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-21-2013 at 02:57 PM.