Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Offered Wallace $7 million Per Season...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    We don't have any way of knowing what was offered. I'm only taking what I read in the article and extrapolating the information and making some inferences from that information. I tend to agree with you that they probably offered him at least Antonio Brown money. On the other hand, maybe they saw something in Antonio that indicated that he's a better all around receiver and he was worth more, again, we don't know, but its fun to try and figure it all out.

Pappy
    We don't know and likely never will, but it would be interesting to see. I'd have to think they offered Wallace more than Brown, especially since Brown had 1 year left on his rookie deal and could have been retained for the tender amount this year.

Backup

User Info Menu

I love that we signed Antonio, but really we had him under contract for last year at less than $1 million. Basically, we signed him for a 4 year extension at $10.4 million. We could have signed him this off season for the same deal he signed last year and got an extra year out of the deal. I generally have faith in the front office, but I don't like these kind of deals.

Also, I'm not one of the many who think Omar khan is a genious. He has kept the team together by mortgaging the future. Unfortunately, it has now caught up with us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Talking about contracts on a $/year basis in the NFL is useless.

In a league where you can be cut at the drop of a hat, you really need to look at signing bonus and distribution of $$$ to understand if a contract is good.

For example two 3 year contracts:

--------------Contract 1-------Contract 2
    Bonus----------$15M------------$10M
    Year1-------------5M---------------5M
    Year2-------------6M---------------7M
    Year3-------------7M--------------11M
    ----------------------------------------
    Total------------$33M------------$33M
    Total/year-------$11M------------$11M

Same on a $/year basis. But contract 1 is way better if you get cut. I think agents don`t point this stuff out to their clients too much because they get paid on the total value of the contract, not the amount that actually gets paid to clients. I`d guess that there is a big different in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Or perhaps despite the "man love" from some fans the organization realized that Wallace has a very perishable skillset given one injury eliminates pretty much the only thing he does excel in and that is run fast.

Perhaps because they are in close contact with him day in and day out they sensed that maybe he was a prima dona who if he didn't get his way would "lose focus" or put and give less than full effort.

Or perhaps they made it very clear that they would not negotiate if he held out and got the sense despite everyone in the world knowing how they do business he would do exactly the opposite of what they asked him to do.

Or perhaps they were simply using standard negotiating tactics of establishing a base from which to negotiate from however when Wallace did exactly what they told him not to do and not show up negotiations could not continue.

After what they saw in 2012 I think they were pretty much right on the money.

So if 2012 is proof they got Wallace right, is it also proof they got Brown wrong?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    So if 2012 is proof they got Wallace right, is it also proof they got Brown wrong?
    Why, because he got hurt? That's like saying they made a mistake with Ben because he got hurt last year and then wasn't 100% after that. Do you think Brown was 100% when he came back. How many big returns were called back because of penalties. Something Wallace seemed in capable of doing despite his supposed otherworldly speed. They signed the more complete player as Brown's over 2,000 yards in combined yardage proved in 2011. They signed the player they wanted long term and it will prove to be the right decision.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Why, because he got hurt? That's like saying they made a mistake with Ben because he got hurt last year and then wasn't 100% after that. Do you think Brown was 100% when he came back. How many big returns were called back because of penalties. Something Wallace seemed in capable of doing despite his supposed otherworldly speed. They signed the more complete player as Brown's over 2,000 yards in combined yardage proved in 2011. They signed the player they wanted long term and it will prove to be the right decision.

Or.... the Steelers signed a guy based on 1 year's production, then after signing watched his production & impact dip significantly, while mental errors & ball control issues arose in his game.

2 sides of every coin.

And if you are going to use the "Wallace could get injured & therefore isn't worth the contract money" line, you can't absolve Brown because he... got injured.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Browns overall performance would have been much more impressive if there weren't so many penalties on special teams. I got to the point where I didn't want him to try to return anything

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because of the teams investment in Brown, I hope your right. So far, the jury is definitely out.