Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Colbert: Steelers are not old or in transition

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

GM Colbert: Steelers are not old or in transition

GM Colbert: Steelers are not old or in transition
    By Alan Robinson

INDIANAPOLIS — General manager Kevin Colbert says the Steelers aren't a divided, too-old or in-transition team despite their disappointing 8-8 record last season.

Speaking on the first day of the NFL Scouting Combine, Colbert disagreed with wide receiver Antonio Brown's comments to ESPN that the Steelers locker room wasn't harmonious because some players were more focused on individual than team goals.
    “Whether you win a Super Bowl or finish 8-8, there's not a 100 percent harmonious locker room,” Colbert said Thursday at Lucas Oil Stadium. “Quite honestly, I'm not concerned about our locker room. Coach (Mike) Tomlin and I have had the opportunity to speak to our players, sometimes more than once, since the season ended. We have a very good finger on the pulse of where we stand from a team standpoint, and we're comfortable with that.”
    Colbert also denied were the Steelers were a team in transition due to the large number of free agents who could depart and a roster that's filled with players who are 30 or older, especially on defense.
    “I don't know what the roster is going to look like March 13 or in April, I don't know what it will at that point,” Colbert said. “Sure we have some old players, but they're significant players, they wouldn't be with us (otherwise). But we have a lot of young guys who are ready to take the next step if it's their turn.”
    Colbert also said:
    >> He wouldn't discuss any specific player, whether it's a prospective free agent or any player who might be drafted. He addressed a question about Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o generically, saying the Steelers closely evaluate all prospective players on and off the field.
    >> Inside linebacker Sean Spence, his rookie season wiped out by a serious preseason knee injury, isn't fully back but is making progress.
    >> In reference to tight end Heath Miller, he won't count on any player who has had an ACL-related injury until a year later. Miller was hurt in December. Colbert said the same thing last year about running back Rashard Mendenhall.
    >> He is open to drafting at any position in any round of the draft.
    Colbert is the only Steelers official who will speak at the Combine. While some other NFL coaches will talk during the weekend, Tomlin will not.

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3513771-74/colbert-players-steelers#axzz2LYRpMhl5[/url]
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert is in denial. Not a good sign.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Colbert is in denial. Not a good sign.
    What did you expect him to say in public? I guess he could have come out and said, "these guys were ready to kill each other all year, I can't wait until we rid ourselves of half of them!" That would have made news.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gee, Kevie, not old? How many key players are over 30 at this point?

Hampton
    Harrison
    Troy
    Clark
    Keisel
    Foote
    Ike
    Ben

8 starters out of 22. Nearing half the starting roster. Colbert is in denial, or at least his public persona is.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Gee, Kevie, not old? How many key players are over 30 at this point?

Hampton
    Harrison
    Troy
    Clark
    Keisel
    Foote
    Ike
    Ben

8 starters out of 22. Nearing half the starting roster. Colbert is in denial, or at least his public persona is.
    Find another team with less than 8 starters over the age of 30.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Maybe one or two and they are not usually good teams. Would be interested to look at the Playoff teams and see the age of their starters.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pats, Packers, Seahawks, Browns, how long you want me to continue?

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes. 4 teams out of 32 doesn't prove that the Steelers roster is 'old'.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

None of them won the Superbowl. So what's your point?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes. 4 teams out of 32 doesn't prove that the Steelers roster is 'old'.
    you asked and he delivered.