Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foote in Contract Talks per Bouchette

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Really? They had Foote last year and Hightower was going to be the pick. I'm a Spence fan and I hope he becomes the starter but I don't think the Foote signing is any indication. If Foote is signed for anything over 1 year, it's a bad signing.
    Perhaps...but, IF Hightower had been the pick, they would not have selected Spence...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers make moves like this so that they will not be forced into a corner. Is Foote the answer at ILB? Certainly not. But now the team will not be forced to reach for an ILB if the right one is not available in the draft a la Troy Edwards.

It would not be disastrous if we were forced to enter the season with Foote alongside Timmons for one more year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Really? They had Foote last year and Hightower was going to be the pick. I'm a Spence fan and I hope he becomes the starter but I don't think the Foote signing is any indication. If Foote is signed for anything over 1 year, it's a bad signing.
    Yes really. They had Foote last year signed to be the starter for 2012 with "Hopes" Hightower would be the starter for 2013. Foote was "Insurance". He was in the last year of a three year deal. The next guy in line had to be found. That didn't change the line of thinking with Spence. What did change was Spence got hurt. He may or may not be ready for the start of the season. He could very well start on the PUP.

Since a 3rd was spent on Spence...He is an investment. You bring back Foote again as "Insurance". A capable starter to bridge to Spence when healthy. You know what you have in Foote. If they decide to go this route instead of a bargain & younger FA like a Henderson...That is what they are thinking in my opinion. They may also tender Sylvester. The Steelers also loaded up on the inside with McFadden, Rolle, & Wilson. Looks like they are buying time with the change in their pocket. If Foote is signed...I believe they will not go into the draft with ILB high on their list of needs and may not address it until later. That could change on draft day if there is someone graded high falls in early rounds. JMO

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong. I hope Spence has a huge career for the Steelers. I just don't realistically see it going this way. Chances are, he'll never pan out as an NFL LB and then when he got hurt, as bad as that injury was, that just puts him further behind the 8 ball...

I would not be counting on his services any time soon, if at all.... Signing Foote for a year or 2 makes sense. Then go out and draft Teo too. Now we're set at LB for years to come.....Well, ILB....

Will be interesting to see if this Mingo fellow would fall to us......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Yes really. They had Foote last year signed to be the starter for 2012 with "Hopes" Hightower would be the starter for 2013. Foote was "Insurance". He was in the last year of a three year deal. The next guy in line had to be found. That didn't change the line of thinking with Spence. What did change was Spence got hurt. He may or may not be ready for the start of the season. He could very well start on the PUP.

Since a 3rd was spent on Spence...He is an investment. You bring back Foote again as "Insurance". A capable starter to bridge to Spence when healthy. You know what you have in Foote. If they decide to go this route instead of a bargain & younger FA like a Henderson...That is what they are thinking in my opinion. They may also tender Sylvester. The Steelers also loaded up on the inside with McFadden, Rolle, & Wilson. Looks like they are buying time with the change in their pocket. If Foote is signed...I believe they will not go into the draft with ILB high on their list of needs and may not address it until later. That could change on draft day if there is someone graded high falls in early rounds. JMO
    You are assuming that Spence is the future starter. I hope you are right but...

He sustained a brutal injury and we've never seen the guy play in a "real" game against "real" starters. Are the Steelers willing to roll the dice on Spence? We shall see.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He sustained a brutal injury and we've never seen the guy play in a "real" game against "real" starters. Are the Steelers willing to roll the dice on Spence? We shall see.
    I do wonder what the team thinks of him at this point. Personally, I consider him lost to the NFL. He may have been a decent player, but that injury won't allow him to be a factor.

I'd love to be completely off base on this one...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Foote is the Max Starks of the defense, they wanted to replace him sooner but just don't have a replacement. We don't even know if Spence will ever play football again but I wish him the best. Slyvester hasn't proved he could replace foote so in all likelyhood Foote will be playing opposite Timmons in 2013.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers hate to have other teams be able to predict what they are going to do in the first three rounds of the draft. By signing a veteran ILB it opens more options for the Steelers at 1.17. They could look for Foote's replacement or they could pass and go in a different direction. Without having Foote onboard some predictability could have crept into the Steeler draft board.

On the other hand, being 14 million over the cap means Foote isn't getting a big salary for a year or two. I don't know how incentives work in contracts and when and if they count against the cap. But, a vet minimum (or slightly higher) incentive laden contract would be the way to go. Take this year's number of games, tackles, sacks, snaps, forced fumbles, etc and pay him a nice bonus if he can duplicate or better the 2012 season.

At least with incentives you will never feel like he's stealing your money. You told him what to do and he went and did it, so pay him for doing it, both sides are happy and satisfied.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The Steelers make moves like this so that they will not be forced into a corner. Is Foote the answer at ILB? Certainly not. But now the team will not be forced to reach for an ILB if the right one is not available in the draft a la Troy Edwards.

It would not be disastrous if we were forced to enter the season with Foote alongside Timmons for one more year.
    I think you are right on the money. The Steelers generally try to have a viable option at every position heading into the draft so that they are not forced to reach for need.

With Spence a huge question mark given the injury, this is a smart move. If the Steelers think the BPA at 17 is an ILB, they could easily make the pick and let the rookie learn from Foote. But this gives them the freedom to draft a WR, RB, CB, S, OLB, etc. at 17 if they so choose...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is my assumption and I believe the Steelers assume the same. He stood out in camp & preseason and I believe the Steelers know what they have.

Spence was healthy throughout his college career. Spence's injury was serious but I would be more concerned if he was a DB, RB, or WR. Lattimore had a more serious injury and he is on the road to full recovery and is expected to be drafted.

I think the decisions moving forward (Like signing Foote) will be based upon timetable on Spence's return. If Foote is signed, I feel ILB becomes less of a need early. Come draft day when the Steelers pick, if there is a significant drop off of grade in the early rounds for a player and he is an ILB I'm sure he will get consideration. For example, if Te'O or Ogletree fall out of the 1st and are sitting there in round 2....You were happy with their interviews....How can you not consider? I would pass on Te'O but I would find a way to get Ogletree on the field.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-20-2013 at 03:41 PM.