Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

how does lifting free weights help in avoiding you ankle getting rolled up on?
    Not much. But it could make all the connecting structure a little more solid to aid such an injury being as severe, hypothetically.
    which of the injuries the players suffered could have been avoided by lifting better in your opinion

spence? decastro?? ben? woodley? troy? harrison?
    You know I'd only be guessing. But my GUESS is that Harrison's injuries have nothing to do with the lack of free weights, as he is an animal in the weight room. Spense was too severe to be prevented from any training technique. Probably same with DeCastro. Woodley certainly COULD be a case where if he did more free weight working out, he could have prevented his hammie from popping every season in the last few. He is NOT known to work out much. His body fat is way too high to be playing OLB in the NFL. Had he been doing squats, who knows? Had working out made him drop 25 lbs of fat, who knows? Would his hammie pop if he was 25 lbs lighter? Not sure. Possibly. No one knows for sure, as you must realize. Troy's hippie mode training? Could very well be somewhat of a potential element. Had he mixed in some squats with his hippie board stuff? Who knows? Maybe it would have made him less likely to blow out his calf every other play.

The point is: Pgh seems to shy away from free weight training. And it doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Many of you have worked out with free weights and realize it is a tremendous aid in many ways. We don't even fully understand why, but we know it is far superior to ANY machine work.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bender: "When have you ever gotten laid"?
    lloydroid: "I've gotten laid, lotsa times"!
    Bender: "Name One".
    lloydroid: "She lives in Canada, met her at Niagra Falls. You wouldn't know her..."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Bender: "When have you ever gotten laid"?
    lloydroid: "I've gotten laid, lotsa times"!
    Bender: "Name One".
    lloydroid: "She lives in Canada, met her at Niagra Falls. You wouldn't know her..."
    Insecure much?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Not much. But it could make all the connecting structure a little more solid to aid such an injury being as severe, hypothetically.

You know I'd only be guessing. But my GUESS is that Harrison's injuries have nothing to do with the lack of free weights, as he is an animal in the weight room. Spense was too severe to be prevented from any training technique. Probably same with DeCastro. Woodley certainly COULD be a case where if he did more free weight working out, he could have prevented his hammie from popping every season in the last few. He is NOT known to work out much. His body fat is way too high to be playing OLB in the NFL. Had he been doing squats, who knows? Had working out made him drop 25 lbs of fat, who knows? Would his hammie pop if he was 25 lbs lighter? Not sure. Possibly. No one knows for sure, as you must realize. Troy's hippie mode training? Could very well be somewhat of a potential element. Had he mixed in some squats with his hippie board stuff? Who knows? Maybe it would have made him less likely to blow out his calf every other play.

The point is: Pgh seems to shy away from free weight training. And it doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Many of you have worked out with free weights and realize it is a tremendous aid in many ways. We don't even fully understand why, but we know it is far superior to ANY machine work.
    hammy injuries are avoided by stretching.

getting them too big (or tight) by ligtingis increasing the chance of a "pull" when running

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

getting them too big (or tight) by ligtingis increasing the chance of a "pull" when running
    You are right, but can't you strengthen hammies so they are less likely to go? I know making them tighter makes them more at risk, but, there must be a reason why those coming off inactivity tend to pull them more often than those who have been working out all along. And, Woodley sure doesn't look like someone who is doing many sprints or lifting much. He appears to be a guy doing very little work out wise.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You are right, but can't you strengthen hammies so they are less likely to go?
    why don't you ask your imaginary training friend and report back?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you want the reason for Woodley's hammy pulls?

That ninja kick crap he does after a sack. Probably started there and just kept getting worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

A study suggests that stretching doesn't prevent injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone can say with 100 percent certainty that free weights are better then other forms of strength training. It boils down to what works an individual.

People will continue to search high and low looking for reasons for injuries. Football is a sport where injuries can't be avoided regardless of the training. The human body wasn't made to endure the punishment that happens out on the football field. The answer is right in front of people and they are still blind to the facts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone can say with 100 percent certainty that free weights are better then other forms of strength training. It boils down to what works an individual.
    I don't know. I feel secure in saying training with free weights is more effective than using single-plane machines. Call it an opinion if you wish, but having to balance free weights during lifts have beneficial qualities; it not only makes you develop your core but also the muscle chains.

People will continue to search high and low looking for reasons for injuries. Football is a sport where injuries can't be avoided regardless of the training. The human body wasn't made to endure the punishment that happens out on the football field. The answer is right in front of people and they are still blind to the facts.
    To a degree you are right, but there is a reason why some players rarely get injured when others do: DNA, training methods and style of play. The great LT was said to never lift weights. Does that mean not lifting is the answer? Does that mean for him, he was better because he didn't lift, or would he have been even BETTER if he had? It has been mentioned that Fat Boy Woodley didn't touch weights last season - how did he do again? How often did Jerry Rice or Walton Peyton get injured, to a degree where they missed game? Almost never. If Ben would hit the weights a little bit, would he be better or worse? Injured more or less?

The bottom line is it appears Pgh doesn't do much free weight training and in my opinion, it is hurting their results on the field and adding to players in hot tubs.