Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I certainly think Troy's medicine ball and balance board hippie training vs weight training has screwed him up.
    Yes and no. There is a place for the type of stuff Troy was doing, but I think he just took it too far. That "core training" stuff - which is what you would describe the medicine and hippie board as - is valuable. But so is regular benching, weight stuff. I think Troy not using any weight over 20 lbs just went too far.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm not going to say free weights had anything to do with injuries. What I will say from experience is that free weight training provides the most benefit. Especially benching, squating, or any clean jerk from floor. I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone lose the bar on the bench ending a set or lose balance squating or jerking the weight from the floor when they come from a machine training to free weight. You use different muscles when you make your body balance the counter weight versus putting that on a machine.
    Exactly.

Well said.

I don't think that we yet know all the benefits from free weight training, but there is no question it provides value that is not there with machines. And if Pgh is using mostly all machines for weight training, they are losing out - that much I know. According to my sources, who consult to many NFL teams, Pgh seems to do less free weight training than almost every other team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I certainly think Troy's medicine ball and balance board hippie training vs weight training has screwed him up.
    I think age, jumping over the OL to sack the QB, getting his knee twisted and fell on by a fat TE on a blocked kick, making tackles in the box like a LB or diving and running around like a crazed animal screwed him up too...

who knows, could be the hippie med ball too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    How can someone be wrong and still say they are right in the same post?

This question is for everyone but Loid.
    Too bad. I was wrong. My hunch was they were over-training with free weights during the season and the truth is they barely do free weights, which is just as faulty as doing too much. They aren't mutually exclusive. How can you not grasp that? They only have two power racks in the entire weight room. That tells me they are really going light on the free weights. I met with a former Steeler who is into strength and conditioning coaching; he was a fairly successful defensive player in the 1980s. Any how, he said he believed in machines more than free weights because there was less risk of injury. I think that thinking is faulty. It is only true when the person working out is inexperienced in lifting. Other than screwing up and trying to squat too much, or lifting too heavy when not properly worked out, free weights will actually make players LESS likely to get hurt, because all the support and chain muscle reaction is what makes us over all stronger and less likely to get hurt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Harrison pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    Does you best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend hear directly from a guy who personally, physically visits NFL/D1 college weight rooms and observes and consults on training techniques? Because, if so, then it would be similar.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Too bad. I was wrong. My hunch was they were over-training with free weights during the season and the truth is they barely do free weights, which is just as faulty as doing too much. They aren't mutually exclusive. How can you not grasp that? They only have two power racks in the entire weight room. That tells me they are really going light on the free weights. I met with a former Steeler who is into strength and conditioning coaching; he was a fairly successful defensive player in the 1980s. Any how, he said he believed in machines more than free weights because there was less risk of injury. I think that thinking is faulty. It is only true when the person working out is inexperienced in lifting. Other than screwing up and trying to squat too much, or lifting too heavy when not properly worked out, free weights will actually make players LESS likely to get hurt, because all the support and chain muscle reaction is what makes us over all stronger and less likely to get hurt.
    being wrong doesn't make you right.

Everyone knows there is a problem with all the injuries so why declare yourself right about the obvious.

...and stop bragging about all the imaginary people you know.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You do realize that most of the training the players do to get ready for the season IS NOT at the Steelers facility. The vast majority of the players do that on their own with private trainers at their off season home locations. The work they do at the facility is usually in season exercises where they are just working to maintain.
    This is even far more true today, with the new CBA, which limits how much teams can work out players. That being said, this entire discussion was re: the workouts being done DURING the season, if you recall, which is 100% done IN THE STEELERs' facility. It appears that Pgh uses more machines than free weights, and I believe that is a mistake. That is my opinion and it's not one without some insight.

Legend

User Info Menu

That is my opinion and it's not one without some insight.
    You don't get to decide that...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ummm, just too bad the source is a living, breathing friend of mine. So, nice try. Swing and a miss, again.
    just in case you haven't figured this out yet.......

nobody believes a word you say.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was right except I was wrong except I was right.
    It would have been easier for you to just post the above.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-19-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!