Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I was wrong

Rookie

User Info Menu

I agree...retarded is an offensive word...

You should have just typed "stupid"...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lyoidroid comes off as a small petulant child.

its pointless to even engage him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree...retarded is an offensive word...

You should have just typed "stupid"...
    I've been told it's offense, but I also hear a lot of people use the term. I think it depends on how it's used. If it's used as a synonym of stupid, then it's offensive. But I think it's acceptable to use it to mean drunk or high like the Black Eyed Peas song from only a few years ago.

Unless it's become socially unacceptable entirely in just the last 5 years.

I can't keep up with political correctness. It changes so often. If people just mean no harm in what they say, I think anything's ok. Because in a sense it's just as offensive to call someone stupid if you are using it as a euphemism for retarded.

Maybe we can just outlaw adjectives completely. And you can never refer to anyone using any descriptive word. Because any word can have a negative connotation.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I've been told it's offense, but I also hear a lot of people use the term. I think it depends on how it's used. If it's used as a synonym of stupid, then it's offensive. But I think it's acceptable to use it to mean drunk or high like the Black Eyed Peas song from only a few years ago.

Unless it's become socially unacceptable entirely in just the last 5 years.

I can't keep up with political correctness. It changes so often. If people just mean no harm in what they say, I think anything's ok. Because in a sense it's just as offensive to call someone stupid if you are using it as a euphemism for retarded.

Maybe we can just outlaw adjectives completely. And you can never refer to anyone using any descriptive word. Because any word can have a negative connotation.
    Generally, if one simply does their best to be respectful (particularly to those who have earned it), there is nothing to worry about...

Political correctness usually takes care of itself in that case...

But, it's difficult to be respectful to someone if they haven't earned it...or if they seem to be actively working in the opposite direction...

Starter

User Info Menu

I have no regret of my word choice and felt it was appropriate in the context it was used. My only apology is to those with learning disabilities that were wrongfully compared to the creator of this thread.
    Last edited by 7 UP; 02-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I have no regret of my word choice and felt it was appropriate in the context it was used. My only apology is to those with learning disabilities that were wrongful compared to the creator of this thread.
    My original response was facetious...

Flippy just kicked it up a notch...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    OK, I will.

OK, I re-read it. And.................?????
    The line starts with "I found this particular post..."
    While, there are better word choices than "retarded" (not for your sake but its use period in this context) 7up very clearly attacked the content of your post.

While, I am not a moderator, there would seem to be a difference between "you are such an idiot" (a clear personal attack) and "that is the most idiotic thing I have ever read" which goes after the content of a post.

Now I understand that the very nature of your post Ldroid, makes the attack on that particular post feel essentially like a personal attack, but I dont see how you moderate out this kind of thing when this forum is filled with spirited debates, and all posts are fair game.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    When I was benching a few nights ago...
    ha ha ............

now all you need do is find 21 other guys with your awesomeness and dedication and play full contact football in pads for 60 minutes and see if you remain healthy. Then do it again for 4 to 6 weeks and report back.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    lyoidroid comes off as a small petulant child.

its pointless to even engage him.
    Coming from the guy who appears to have never made it past the 7th grade. Those govt. checks still coming in?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The line starts with "I found this particular post..."
    While, there are better word choices than "retarded" (not for your sake but its use period in this context) 7up very clearly attacked the content of your post.

While, I am not a moderator, there would seem to be a difference between "you are such an idiot" (a clear personal attack) and "that is the most idiotic thing I have ever read" which goes after the content of a post.

Now I understand that the very nature of your post Ldroid, makes the attack on that particular post feel essentially like a personal attack, but I dont see how you moderate out this kind of thing when this forum is filled with spirited debates, and all posts are fair game.
    No, I am definitely not making my true opinion clear. I wouldn't care if there was a policy where all out flame wars were allowed or even encouraged. It wouldn't bother me one bit. I have been on a few boards (which I don't even think exist, 1 doesn't for sure that I know of) where half the posts were nothing more than flames. And, there was really some good entertainment value there, but it could get tedious at some points. The only reason I make mention of those offering ad hominem attacks here is because the mods sent me PMs over ridiculously lame stuff. For instance, after making another correct prediction, I posted, "If anyone wants more predictions from me, you can get them by paying me for them." Do you really think that I thought that there was anyone on God's green earth who was going to pay me for predictions? It was an overly obvious joke. And yet, a mod PMd me wanting to know what I charged, all in an attempt to prove I was soliciting business and that was against board rules. For realz? Serious? Really? They have also pestered me on "personal attacks" even though you can't find one instance where I started any of that; I am reactionary in each and every case.

So, in all honesty, the personal attack stuff rolls off me like water off a duck's back. But if they are going to give me crap about it, why do they just let others go hog wild? Inconsistent. If you are going to create board rules, apply them evenly, or not at all, but don't apply them selectively. That's the only reason I ever bring it up at all.