Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams Sets Sights higher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Maybe I'm an optimist but I saw improvement from Adams as the season progressed. He's a terrific run blocker who needs work in pass protection. IMO, saying he won't improve in that area is a little short-sighted.
    Basing an opinion on history isn't short sighted, it's wise. Adams came to tOSU high touted. He underperformed his entire career for the Buckeyes, continually showing a lack of passion, and aggression. To assume anything will ever be different is very optimistic.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And yet, Adams was considered to be a consensus top offensive tackle in the 2012 draft...most draft ratings had him as the 4th or 5th best OT at worst...the Steelers, apparently, had a first round grade on him as far as talent...

Now, indubitably, failing the drug test is stupid...flat out...

That being said, I don't think that a very late 2nd round pick is too soon for a top 5 tackle prospect...
    We both know why. He is the prototypical size and build for a LT, and he played for a major program. If you are ok with a guy who will be mediocre, but serviceable Adams is your guy.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    We both know why. He is the prototypical size and build for a LT, and he played for a major program. If you are ok with a guy who will be mediocre, but serviceable Adams is your guy.
    If people didn't think Adams could be special, he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best OTs in his draft...

LOTS of people, including the Steelers, saw something...

Legend

User Info Menu

If people didn't think Adams could be special, he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best OTs in his draft...

and they thought he could be special in college as well. He wasn't. Many many OTs get overvalued. Adams was a 4th-5th round talent in a first rounders body. Once upon a time I posted a link of Adams getting abused playing against Arkansas. Top talent don't get turnstyled. He has always been on sometimes...off sometimes...wishy washy blah with no real passion in his play.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-adams?id=2532783[/url]
    Last edited by Shawn; 02-20-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whoever wrote this article needs a job on the Steeler scouting department.

[URL]http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2202[/URL]

AND

per profootballweekly

Very spotty play history. Soft-tempered. Came off as very immature and low-burn in the interview process. Questionable mental toughness. Has been pampered and is not wired with a trench mentality. Not passionate about the game. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 19 times at the Combine and body does not look NFL-conditioned. Too easily distracted and has multiple off-field issues that already have eliminated him from consideration on some NFL draft boards.

Summary:
    Generated a buzz at the Senior Bowl because of his giant stature and ability to match up well in pass protection. However, he lacks the mental makeup, toughness and consistency desired on the front lines and has clear bust potential.
    Last edited by Shawn; 02-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Personally I would like to see Mike on the right side again. I can remember when we had Hartings, Faneca and Smith on the left side and that stayed together for years. We were a left handed team. With Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams on the right side we could have a very good line on the right side.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Adams seems to cop the most critisism from Steelers fans that support or follow OSU. The critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Mike Wallace seems to cop the most critisism from NFL fans that support or follow the Steelers. the critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Therefore- Mike Adams is to OSU fans what Wallace is to Steelers fans.

Thing is, Slapstick is right- Adams was the consensus 5th highest rated OT in 2012, and excluding his drag test, was rated a 1st round pick. Someone, somewhere, saw something about Adams to get that sort of grade. And it can't just be due to his size- there are so many OT's in that size range coming out of college now. Obviously his level of competition helped his ranking too. That said, it also had the potential to hurt his ranking, if he'd been shown incapable on a weekly basis. The fact that he still maintained a 1st round grade suggests that he must have held up his end of the bargain once or twice.

Maybe he wasn't the complete package at OSU? Maybe he didn't live up to the high expectations at OSU? Having not watched Adams college career, Chadman can't say.

But if he'd been as bad as some want us to believe at OSU, the NFL would have picked up on that. Adams would not have been rated as highly as he was.

Sometimes, when a player plays for the team you support, your opinions can can skewed, one way or the other, due to the emotional investment placed by the fan. You tend to see what you want to see, magnified, while other things get missed. You tend to focus on things that suit your own personal viewpoint & understanding, while overlooking things that might not fit the image you have in your mind.

For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Mike Adams seems to cop the most critisism from Steelers fans that support or follow OSU. The critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Mike Wallace seems to cop the most critisism from NFL fans that support or follow the Steelers. the critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Therefore- Mike Adams is to OSU fans what Wallace is to Steelers fans.

Thing is, Slapstick is right- Adams was the consensus 5th highest rated OT in 2012, and excluding his drag test, was rated a 1st round pick. Someone, somewhere, saw something about Adams to get that sort of grade. And it can't just be due to his size- there are so many OT's in that size range coming out of college now. Obviously his level of competition helped his ranking too. That said, it also had the potential to hurt his ranking, if he'd been shown incapable on a weekly basis. The fact that he still maintained a 1st round grade suggests that he must have held up his end of the bargain once or twice.

Maybe he wasn't the complete package at OSU? Maybe he didn't live up to the high expectations at OSU? Having not watched Adams college career, Chadman can't say.

But if he'd been as bad as some want us to believe at OSU, the NFL would have picked up on that. Adams would not have been rated as highly as he was.

Sometimes, when a player plays for the team you support, your opinions can can skewed, one way or the other, due to the emotional investment placed by the fan. You tend to see what you want to see, magnified, while other things get missed. You tend to focus on things that suit your own personal viewpoint & understanding, while overlooking things that might not fit the image you have in your mind.

For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.
    I am a huge OSU fan...

Though, I admit, it is often a struggle to maintain objectivity, I try very hard not to allow emotions into evaluations...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.[/QUOTE]

I think so too, to the point he will win that competition in camp. Now I could be wrong we'll see, stay tuned!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Adams has better feet & kickslide than Gilbert. Adams needs more experience to get tech sound. I don't know if one year is enough but camp will tell. If they decide he needs more reps, Gilbert to LT and Adams to RT. That said, Adams has the higher ceiling at LT and you should start to see it as he sees the field more. I know everyone thinks the OL is junk but it isn't. Lots of young talent that just needs more and more gameday reps and coaching. When they start logging reps together you will see it come together.