Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams Sets Sights higher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Exactly. To this point neither one has a grip on that position, when the competition is completed we'll see our future LT, hopefully they can even exceed what Max did here as they develope their skills.
    For once lets see a healthy O-line for a change, the 49ers O-line played the entire season together not missing any playing time thats what I want to see our O-line do.
    It doesn't matter if they can play the position or not. Just make sure we don't draft someone who actually can because we have exceeded our allocation for the OL in the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It doesn't matter if they can play the position or not. Just make sure we don't draft someone who actually can because we have exceeded our allocation for the OL in the draft.
    There is nothing "sure" about anything in the draft...I'm "sure" the Steelers think that both Adams and Gilbert are capable of playing LT...just as they would be "sure" of somebody in the draft this year...

Just draft the best player available instead of drafting for need...drafting for need just leads to a bad draft...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    this team is in no position to be drafting for depth. I am against going OL in the 1st because I feel we have invested in that group enough for them to be successful. No way fisher is there at 17, so if we end up with warmack I won't hate the pick because I believe we would be getting a very good football player. But I won't love it either.

just feel we have bigger needs, and no I don't care one bit about getting an "instant starter" as some here feel is the only valuation of a 1st round draft pick. I'm certainly happy the steelers FO doesn't see it that way.
    I understand your position Eddie, but someone please tell me how we are going to correct our inability to score enough points to win ball games?Check the stats on the Steelers scoring since 2004. Our best years were 24.6 a game and they were few, in this era of football you better be able to score points as we seen two defensive teams in the SB that couldn't stop the other team from scoring.

I realize we have other positions to fill that may supercede an O-lineman, I just hope they include positions that will turn an anemic offense around.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the offense must play better. Plain and simple.

seems like every year we hear BR claim that this will finally be the year the offense breaks out and carries its own weight.

I'm waiting.....

Legend

User Info Menu

We have to yet the young players play. The problem was really that Max Starks and Willie Colon must have been holding back Adams and Beachum.

When it comes to the defense, you have the utmost belief that unproven players must play and that they'll improve on the defense. Why not the same faith in the highly drafted offensive lineman?

Legend

User Info Menu

Like I tell my kids, I don't want to hear how good you are going to be, show me. Anyone can say it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would prefer neither one at either position. Two undermotivated sloppy players as our bookends?
    You said it, Shawn.
    People might say, "You guys are like the Bustamalu crowd way back when..." That's NOT the case. Gilbert and especially Adams have game tape going back to college. Guys with this level of supposed athleticism should stand out on the college level--no ifs, ands, or buts. (Whereas a guy like Polamalu dominated college, so anyone with half a brain could excuse any adjustment period he had to make.)

Adams is a bum. In the off-season, he will say the right things (like he apparently did, to convince the brass to pick him after getting busted for GOING TO THE COMBINE HIGH. WHAT F'N IDIOT WOULD DO THAT? I'll tell you who--Adams.) But when push comes to shove, he lacks mental toughness. Same probably with Gilbert. (I have higher hopes for him though, for some reason.) You see guys like Adams come out all the time--major D1 talent, doesn't dominate in college, and come draft time--people mitigate that in some way. He is what he is.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes. Rookies and 2nd year players should always be given the starting role because they are young which automatically makes them better than the established and experienced vets, because we know the vets can't contribute the way the rookies can. Good luck winning consistently with that strategy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You said it, Shawn.
    People might say, "You guys are like the Bustamalu crowd way back when..." That's NOT the case. Gilbert and especially Adams have game tape going back to college. Guys with this level of supposed athleticism should stand out on the college level--no ifs, ands, or buts. (Whereas a guy like Polamalu dominated college, so anyone with half a brain could excuse any adjustment period he had to make.)

Adams is a bum. In the off-season, he will say the right things (like he apparently did, to convince the brass to pick him after getting busted for GOING TO THE COMBINE HIGH. WHAT F'N IDIOT WOULD DO THAT? I'll tell you who--Adams.) But when push comes to shove, he lacks mental toughness. Same probably with Gilbert. (I have higher hopes for him though, for some reason.) You see guys like Adams come out all the time--major D1 talent, doesn't dominate in college, and come draft time--people mitigate that in some way. He is what he is.
    What is odd is the Steelers rarely make this mistake. The tape on Adams tells a tale of a guy with all the tools, and never put it together.
    Last edited by Shawn; 02-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What is odd is the Steelers rarely make this mistake. The tape on Adams tells a tell of a guy with all the tools, and never put it together.
    Maybe Colbert smoked a little weed with him before he made the pick...