Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW - Woodley ripped by unnamed Steeler

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    +1 Really, the player should be man enough to say it to Woodley's face. It's gutless to say it anonymously through the newspaper.
    It's not "gutless" or "being man enough"... It shouldn't be whoever else's job, to tell a PROFESSIONAL how to get ready to do his job. As a doctor or nurse, is it my job to tell my fellow doctors or nurses that they should reflect a healthy lifestyle? As a teacher, should I have to go around and tell my fellow faculty that they should bring the necessary preparations to school? Should I (as a cop), have to tell my fellow cops to get in shape???

It is a ridiculous notion! YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. Being in-shape is what you are supposed to be!

Legend

User Info Menu

just want to point out that woodley had 8 or 9 sacks in the first nine games 2 years ago before he got hurt.
    right after he got that big contract, so i'm not sure where this 'he's been awful since getting his money' is coming from
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 02-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm shocked - shocked - that neither the anonymous source nor anybody else was able to trace Woodley's hamstring injuries to the real root cause that you identified - the 3-4 defense. I'm sure that article will follow.
    In your haste to take a jab you continue to miss the fundamental assertion. It has always been that Woodley does not have the body type or the commitment to fitness to play OLB in the 3-4. He is more naturally a 4-3 DE best suited to rushing the passer not chasing RBs and TEs who are much more athletic than he is. Woodley is a "power player" pure and simple.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Maybe he did address it in the locker room and to no avail. This would be a logical next step in applying some motivation, public admonishment.
    You're correct, maybe it was addressed, for me the next step would be the coaching staff and management, not the media and the fans. And, even then, if it wasn't rectified to my liking, it's time to just be quiet and play football. Trying to embarrass someone rarely has the result for which you are looking, they will typically begin to harbor animosity towards the accuser which will not help team camaraderie or chemistry.

IMO, the media is the last place you want to take a debate that should be kept between teammates.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Again I ask, is it really any worse than Woodley telling everyone (including teammates and coaches) that he was working out, when he obviously wasn't doing much of that?

First his LB coach addressed it in the media (don't remember anyone taking him to task for that)...now a teammate does the same...if I were LaMarr, I'd take it as a wake-up call...he needs to take Tom Shaw up on his offer, get off his lard ar$$$e, and start getting in shape.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 02-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I doubt that it was Clark. If Clark said it he would have attached his name to it.
    I think we can safely say it wasn't Casey Hampton...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Again I ask, is it really any worse than Woodley telling everyone (including teammates and coaches) that he was working out, when he obviously wasn't doing much of that?

First his LB coach addressed it in the media (don't remember anyone taking him to task for that)...now a teammate does the same...if I were LaMarr, I'd take it as a wake-up call...he needs to take Tom Shaw up on his offer, get off his lard ar$$$e, and start getting in shape.
    His manager (coach) is not his peer and as in any business can use the methods he believes can be successful in motivating players, they may work or not, but it is his prerogative. A peer typically is not looked on very kindly when they take other employees or players to task for their work or preparation for work. The only players that were close to playing up to snuff this past year were Clark, Taylor and Timmons. Anyone else is throwing stones while living in a glass house. Whoever said it, maybe ought to take a look in the mirror and ask himself: Did I do everything that I could to help this team win football games? Instead of sniping at Woodley.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

What was said was pretty much what everyone could see anyway: Woodley was awful, and he came in out of shape...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am glad one of his peers said so. Even if it goes to him in roundabout way through the media. I'm sure Woodley will be able to figure out who said it, if he doesn't already know. So I don't think it is cowardly or lacking in ethics. I think the teammate basically wants what is best for the Woodley and for the team. Sometimes you have to hurt someone's feelings to get them to shape up. Can't be nicey-nice too much. Woodley can more easily blow off criticism from fans or media than he can from peers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I found this quote by James Harrison calling out teammates, I'm not implying he called out Woodley but you never know.
    Here is the quote.

"He then offered teammates Ben Rothlisberger and Mendenhall up on the sacrificial fire of his temper tantrum calling Mendenhall a "fumble machine" and telling Big Ben to, "Stop acting like Peyton Manning. You aint that and you know it, man."

Read this by Jennifer Lewis,
    James Harrison Loose cannon on and off the field.