Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are The Fans assuming too much by what Colbert said at seasons end?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Are The Fans assuming too much by what Colbert said at seasons end?

Colbert's remarks after the season ended gave an indication we may lose a substancial amount of players this coming season due to the cap issues.
    Are we assuming too much by what he said back then? Now that the dust is starting to settle Mr. Colbert might be singing a different tune knowing if they cut too many we could wind up even with a worse record.

We are led to believe the cap issues are so dire they can't be fixed without eliminating more players than they want to.
    There will be cuts, but I'm not sure they will be the magnitude of what we are expecting, with Omar Khan working contracts it may turn out completely different when all is said and done.

He stated we better have players in place for the ones that will be released, but do we? When Troy and Harrison were out, there was a big drop off in play, not until they came back did we see the defense pick it up and our secondary played better too with them back.

I'm thinking Omar Khan might have to do his best work ever this off season, give him a pen and some numbers and I trust it won't be as bad as projected when this thing is settled.

Legend

User Info Menu

Khan is very good at what he does, but even he is no magician. I don't think Colbert would have said what he said unless he was trying to prepare us for the release of some "major players" (no pun intended).

Legend

User Info Menu

even if he can push a few contracts back, where does that put us in 2-4 years?
    i'm all for cutting deep this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Khan is very good at what he does, but even he is no magician. I don't think Colbert would have said what he said unless he was trying to prepare us for the release of some "major players" (no pun intended).
    I think the salary cap situation indicates that Colbert meant exactly what he said unless some vets are prepared to play for much less.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Colbert's remarks after the season ended gave an indication we may lose a substancial amount of players this coming season due to the cap issues.
    Are we assuming too much by what he said back then? Now that the dust is starting to settle Mr. Colbert might be singing a different tune knowing if they cut too many we could wind up even with a worse record.

We are led to believe the cap issues are so dire they can't be fixed without eliminating more players than they want to.
    There will be cuts, but I'm not sure they will be the magnitude of what we are expecting, with Omar Khan working contracts it may turn out completely different when all is said and done.

He stated we better have players in place for the ones that will be released, but do we? When Troy and Harrison were out, there was a big drop off in play, not until they came back did we see the defense pick it up and our secondary played better too with them back.

I'm thinking Omar Khan might have to do his best work ever this off season, give him a pen and some numbers and I trust it won't be as bad as projected when this thing is settled.
    I don't agree. I think the defense was fine, even possibly better, with Troy out. With Harrison, its tough to gauge because even though he was 'there' he wasn't near 100% and our defense still played alright. The defense hit another level though when Harrison started to get healthy near the last quarter of the season. So, when Harrison wasn't all there, would Worilds have been able to perform better? Who knows?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the salary cap situation indicates that Colbert meant exactly what he said unless some vets are prepared to play for much less.
    Think this is spot on. What point is there to Colbert playing mind games at this stage? He's generally been pretty good at telling the media exactly what the plans are, no reason to expect this is any different.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For Steelers, salary cap concerns become imminent
    About Alan RobinsonAlan Robinson
    Steelers Reporter
    Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

How much money teams have committed to salaries next season (cap projected to be $121 million):

Team Salary commitment

Jets $150.3 million

Saints $147.0 million

Cowboys $143.7 million

Steelers $134.8 million

Panthers $132.7 million

Cardinals $127.7 million

49ers $125.9 million

Eagles $123.9 million

Seahawks $122.5 million

Packers $121.5 million

Rams $120.7 million

Chiefs $120.5 million

Broncos $119.6 million

Titans $118.0 million

Vikings $118.0 million

Texans $117.0 million

Falcons $116.6 million

Bears $116.4 million

Chargers $116.2 million

Giants $113.6 million

Lions $113.0 million

Redskins $112.7 million

Raiders $110.8 million

Jaguars $109.3 million

Ravens $107.5 million

Patriots $106.5 million

Buccaneers $104.1 million

Bills $103.7 million

Browns $83.1 million

Dolphins $79.8 million

Colts $77.5 million

Bengals $75.6 million

Figures of as Friday

Source: Spotrac.com

By Alan Robinson

Published: Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:46 p.m.
    Updated 7 hours ago

The Steelers are one of only five NFL teams that are more than $10 million above the projected 2013 salary cap of $121 million less than a month before the March 12 compliance deadline.

And it could be worse.

According to salaries compiled by sports contract website Spotrac, the Steelers have $134.8 million committed to players — or about $14 million above the cap.

Still, the Steelers are in better position cap-wise than they were a year ago when they were about $25 million above the cap. They got under by restructuring a number of contracts (Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ike Taylor, Willie Colon) and by cutting ties with veterans James Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Bryant McFadden, Arnaz Battle and Chris Kemoeatu.

The roster could experience a comparable shake-up this year.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace, running back Rashard Mendenhall and offensive linemen Max Starks and Ramon Foster could sign elsewhere. Veterans Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Willie Colon, Ryan Mundy and Byron Leftwich are among those who could be let go. Cornerback Keenan Lewis is an unrestricted free agent the Steelers are likely to make a primary target.

General manager Kevin Colbert has hinted that significant moves could be made.

“You make decisions to sustain or make decisions to change, and this year we have to make decisions to change,” Colbert said.

The other teams currently well above the cap are the New York Jets ($150.3 million), New Orleans Saints ($147 million), Dallas Cowboys ($143.7 million) and Carolina Panthers ($132.7 million).

The Arizona Cardinals ($127.7 million), San Francisco 49ers ($125.9 million), Philadelphia Eagles ($123.9 million) and Seattle Seahawks ($122.5 million) also are above the cap.

The Steelers have about a half-million dollars in dead money for players no longer on the team whose contracts still count against the cap, $87.8 million in base salaries, $27.6 million in bonus money and $19.9 million in other bonuses.

The Steelers' AFC North rivals are well below the cap, including the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens ($107 million). The Cincinnati Bengals are a league-best $46 million below the cap at $75.6 million, despite making the playoffs the past two seasons. The Cleveland Browns — headed by new, deep-pockets owner Jimmy Haslam — are significantly below the cap at $83.1 million, giving them considerable flexibility to make moves during the free-agent signing period.

The Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins also have enough cap room to make major moves.

In their current position, the Steelers can't chase any of the immediate-impact free agents.

“We've signed significant players (as free agents), but they have been few and far between,” Colbert said. “We have to be open to that, but at what cost?”

As teams head to the scouting combine in Indianapolis next week to evaluate players in the 2013 draft class, the Steelers are expected to begin making moves to get under the cap.

“It will include terminations. It will include (contract) extensions and restructurings,” Colbert said recently. “The combination of the three will get us in compliance. ... But if you want to terminate someone, you'd better have a replacement. If you extend someone, you have to have confidence that player will see it out. If you restructure, you'd better be confident going forward you don't hurt yourself cap-wise.”

Read more: [url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3490036-74/million-cap-steelers#ixzz2L3sqZEjc[/url]

Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-16-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I don't agree. I think the defense was fine, even possibly better, with Troy out. With Harrison, its tough to gauge because even though he was 'there' he wasn't near 100% and our defense still played alright. The defense hit another level though when Harrison started to get healthy near the last quarter of the season. So, when Harrison wasn't all there, would Worilds have been able to perform better? Who knows?
    I agree and as I said before, it was the play of the defense without these major players that is making the decision to release them somewhat easier.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid
    even if he can push a few contracts back, where does that put us in 2-4 years?
    i'm all for cutting deep this year.
    Steelers probably need to bite the bullet and cut both Harrison and Polamalu. Hopefully, one or both of them will re-sign for much less money, but if not, it's time to move forward...even though our D is bound to suffer for awhile.

We'll need to re-sign Will Allen, but he should come a lot cheaper than Troy. Hopefully Worilds will step up. I agree with a poster in another thread, if Harrison leaves, it might be better to put Woodley on the right side and Worilds on the left.

Hampton is almost certainly gone, but I'd like to see McLendon retained, if it doesn't cost too much. The team will look hard at cutting Kiesel, I think. I hope they find some way to retain Lewis. A few days ago, I didn't think they would cut Ike, but now, I'm starting to wonder.

On the offensive side, Wallace and Mendenhall are likely gone, along with Starks and Foster. I wish Colon could be cut and that money freed up, but the cap hit is prohibitive. Cutting Leftwich will save a million or so.

Some have pointed out that they could restructure players like Miller, Antonio Brown, Woodley, and Ben, but I think it's time to stop with all the restructuring...that's part of the reason we got into this mess, and it makes it almost impossible to think about cutting some underachievers (ie., Woodley) for several years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I keep hearing that Ben will be one of the contracts that get 'restructured' which is essentially paying him a bonus and that hit is seen 'down the road'. Right now he is our franchise QB but is not too far from the end. He played the last quarter of the season and playoff game injured 2 seasons ago, pretty ineffectively I might add, and then was either out injured or playing ineffectively the last half of this past season. Do we want to put ourselves in a hole next season or the one after due to pushing his money down the road?

i would rather trim the fat out now by cutting aged defenders, going young in the process, than have ourselves handcuffed by the cap for years to come. The blame for not having a top 5 or 10 ranked offense can be spread to nearly every aspect of our offense. The bottom line though is we are paying a franchise QB, franchise QB money, so the excuses HAVE TO BE OVER! Time for the offense to put up enough points to cover for a young defense and allow them to struggle through some growing pains that will come with a young defense.

Issues that need addressed for that to happen:

1 - Offensive line injuries have killed us for years. The constant shuffling to inferior backups has to stop. Whether this is fixed by the draft or by cutting enough cap room from the defense is yet to be seen, but going into the season with the offensive linemen we currently have on this roster would pretty much guarantee another season of crappy line play due to injury. Is anyone here even remotely confident Gilbert could play a full season plus playoffs injury free? I would bet that one of our starting 5 OL is injured for A significant stretch if not out for the season by game 8.

2 - We need a major infusion of talent at RB. Mediocre talent and injury has plagued this facet of our team for too long. I would think we need to let Mendenhall and Redman walk. I would tender Dwyer. Then cut Batch. I would then add two backs either both through the draft or one through the draft and one through free agency. We would also add one as an UDFA. If you build a top notch OL, young backs can shine.

3 - Our franchise QB has essentially killed the team by being injured in some form or fashion each of the last two seasons. Two years ago he spent the last quarter of the season and lone playoff upset hobbling around like a peg leg pirate grounding our passing attack and throwing game killing interceptions. This past season saw him miss 3 games and come back too early from injury that left a lot to be desired out of his play. Although other factors can be thrown in, two horrible interceptions can be pointed to as reasons for two late season losses. With all of this in mind, the time has come to upgrade both backup QB slots. Once again I would do this by acquiring one free agent and one draft pick to groom. Let's face it, Brady Quinn would be an upgrade over old Charlie Batch and glass man Leftwich. There are some QB's that can be had this draft outside of the first round that could be groomed. Nassib, Bray, Jones could be options, among others.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 02-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite