Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chance Warmack likely to be there @ 17 when we pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sorry, but this guy is NO Alan Faneca, imo. No way he can pull like Alan could. No way, he's too big.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure I would be disappointed drafting Warmack at #17 when he could be the best OL you have on the team by the end of his rookie year if not sooner. That give you alot of flexibility going forward in negotiations with guys as they are looking at their second contracts.
    He may or may not be better than Pouncey & Decastro. He would have to play some in the NFL before you crown him anything wouldn't you think? Would the OL be better with him? Absolutely! Would that help the 40% of offensive production (In a productive season) we could lose through FA? May help some but he wouldn't be the biggest contributer in a given scenario. If Warmack is there and no WR or OLB and we can't trade out...I would undrstand. BPA. I would be disappointed until Warmack shows me he could make a difference.

He looks great on tape. He labored significantly at the combine. Maybe he was sick or out of shape. He didn't look like a 1st rounder running through position drills. Little concerned but that doesn't hurt him that much. D Moore had the same combine. I went back and watched more of each and still came away with the same feelings.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Sorry, but this guy is NO Alan Faneca, imo. No way he can pull like Alan could. No way, he's too big.
    Maybe so pfelix, but when he pancakes defenders you'll see similar results with the defender on the ground and no one to touch the back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    He may or may not be better than Pouncey & Decastro. He would have to play some in the NFL before you crown him anything wouldn't you think? Would the OL be better with him? Absolutely! Would that help the 40% of offensive production (In a productive season) we could lose through FA? May help some but he wouldn't be the biggest contributer in a given scenario. If Warmack is there and no WR or OLB and we can't trade out...I would undrstand. BPA. I would be disappointed until Warmack shows me he could make a difference.

He looks great on tape. He labored significantly at the combine. Maybe he was sick or out of shape. He didn't look like a 1st rounder running through position drills. Little concerned but that doesn't hurt him that much. D Moore had the same combine. I went back and watched more of each and still came away with the same feelings.
    I buy a WR might be a good alternative but no way do I buy that for an OLB who won't see significant time on the field for two years. This team will be radically different in two years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I buy a WR might be a good alternative but no way do I buy that for an OLB who won't see significant time on the field for two years. This team will be radically different in two years.
    I agree with you as far as an OLB not seeing the field. Unfortunately it seems the FO draft guys on the defensive side of the ball without and regard to when they see the field. I hope it changes but we don't control that.

Legend

User Info Menu

They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for
    Whereas there are 5 elite OL prospects worthy of being selected in the top half of the first round of this draft (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson at tackle, and Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper at guard), the strength of the wideout and running back class in on day two of the draft, not day one.

The only wideouts with a solid first round grade right now are Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, and both have question marks (Patterson could be an athletic freak in the Julio Jones mold, but he has only one year of major college experience, and Austin could be an athletic freak in the Percy Harvin mold, but he is ridiculously undersized). The only first round rated RB right now is Eddie Lacy, but how much of his production a factor of running behind what would be a pretty darn good NFL o-line featuring the likes of Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker, Barrett Jones, etc.

Wideouts who may be available on day 2 include Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Marquis Goodwin, Ryan Swope, and Stedman Bailey. Running backs who may be available on day 2 include Giovanni Bernard, Joseph Randle, Montee Ball, Jonathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington, and Christine Michael.

Even though we did use two first rounders and two second rounders recently on the OL, I think OL would be a BPA pick yet again if we decide to go offense in round 1. That said, I also see an abundance of early first round pass rushers this year as well, so I think it is more likely that we go defense if any of the pass rushers fall to us (Jarvis Jones, DaMontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Whereas there are 5 elite OL prospects worthy of being selected in the top half of the first round of this draft (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson at tackle, and Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper at guard), the strength of the wideout and running back class in on day two of the draft, not day one.

The only wideouts with a solid first round grade right now are Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, and both have question marks (Patterson could be an athletic freak in the Julio Jones mold, but he has only one year of major college experience, and Austin could be an athletic freak in the Percy Harvin mold, but he is ridiculously undersized). The only first round rated RB right now is Eddie Lacy, but how much of his production a factor of running behind what would be a pretty darn good NFL o-line featuring the likes of Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker, Barrett Jones, etc.

Wideouts who may be available on day 2 include Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Marquis Goodwin, Ryan Swope, and Stedman Bailey. Running backs who may be available on day 2 include Giovanni Bernard, Joseph Randle, Montee Ball, Jonathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington, and Christine Michael.

Even though we did use two first rounders and two second rounders recently on the OL, I think OL would be a BPA pick yet again if we decide to go offense in round 1. That said, I also see an abundance of early first round pass rushers this year as well, so I think it is more likely that we go defense if any of the pass rushers fall to us (Jarvis Jones, DaMontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo).
    Excellent post! I agree. As much as I would love to have Jarvis Jones at 17 I just dont see it happening. I can not see him getting past Cleveland at 6. I think the concerns about his health during the Combine week was trumped up by teams wanting him to fall. He is just too good and can play from day one. I do see Demontre Moore falling now. But he wont play much for a while (moving to 3-4 OLB), And Mingo is a freak but put on the tape and you just dont see that much of it translating into on-field performance. So like you have said in your post, I think a Jonathan Cooper may be the best pick overall for the Steelers at 17. But I sure hope you are right about Jarvis Jones. Oh how I would love that.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Deep WR class. Terrible RB class. I would only take 1 WR round 1 & that is Patterson. I wouldn't take any RBs round 1. OL may be BPA and could be the pick if they can't trade out.

There is a possibilty Moore could fall to #17. If he can run in the 4.7's at his proday and get close to 20 reps (Like he said he did during training) he may be gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Excellent post! I agree. As much as I would love to have Jarvis Jones at 17 I just dont see it happening. I can not see him getting past Cleveland at 6. I think the concerns about his health during the Combine week was trumped up by teams wanting him to fall. He is just too good and can play from day one. I do see Demontre Moore falling now. But he wont play much for a while (moving to 3-4 OLB), And Mingo is a freak but put on the tape and you just dont see that much of it translating into on-field performance. So like you have said in your post, I think a Jonathan Cooper may be the best pick overall for the Steelers at 17. But I sure hope you are right about Jarvis Jones. Oh how I would love that.
    FYI on Jones. His medical checked out GOOD. Teams will be getting the letters. I think he is gone now.

There is no reason to think Jones and Moore can see the field at the same time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    FYI on Jones. His medical checked out GOOD. Teams will be getting the letters. I think he is gone now.

There is no reason to think Jones and Moore can see the field at the same time.
    Yeah I know but his medical checked out good 3 years ago.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash