Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Chance Warmack likely to be there @ 17 when we pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    NFL Network's Mike Mayock thinks Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack is the No. 1 player in the 2013 NFL Draft.
    Share on Facebook Tweet this post
    Because of his position, Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack has been a bit overlooked when it comes to potential top-five picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. The general consensus is that there's no way a guard would be drafted so early on, meaning it's probably unlikely that he will even be in the mix for the Detroit Lions' No. 5 overall pick.
    Position aside, let's consider where Warmack stacks up just based on overall talent. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently addressed this very topic on the Rich Eisen Podcast, and he actually thinks that Warmack is the best player in this year's draft. From Rotoworld:
    "The best player I've seen on tape is the guard from Alabama, Chance Warmack," said Mayock. "Now he's not going No. 1, but he's the best football player (in the draft)." Mayock expects the 2013 draft to be heavy on offensive and defensive linemen in the first round, because they are the strength of the draft.
    The Lions have a need at offensive guard with Stephen Peterman being released, but Warmack probably isn't a realistic possibility for them unless they trade down. I honestly wouldn't be totally opposed to the Lions taking Warmack at No. 5 considering how much he could potentially upgrade their offensive line. However, the thinking is that the Lions will want to address a bigger need like defensive end or go with a more impact position like offensive tackle if they stay at No. 5 overall.[/SIZE]
    Interesting.....you needed to hear it from Mike Mayock? I've been saying it for the past 6 months.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Are you kidding me? The 40 means nothing for a player like him. When is he going to run 40 yards on a football field? He is the most dominate player in this entire draft. He got to the second level and blew defenders out of position all year long. This is a future hall of famer.
    I hear ya. He just looked like a tub.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    I hear ya. He just looked like a tub.
    He looked less like a tub than our Colon does. Colon is ridiculously fat, on a slob, sloppy level. Warmack is going to be an awesome NFL OG. He is as natural as can be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yup. Even when he's at the local church pancake breakfast on Saturday mornings and putting them down the gullet.... A Natural. lol
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Interesting.....you needed to hear it from Mike Mayock? I've been saying it for the past 6 months.
    I watched Warmack play and knew he was a great guard but to be named the best player in the draft is a high honor. It would be a dream pick for us @ 17 but don't know if he'll be there, and if he was whether the Steelers would select him.

Haven't seen good left guard play since Alan Fanaca played that position, he could be that guy to help our running game on that side, plus DeCastro on the other and you would see our run game make a great improvement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft gurus always say the best guy in the draft is someone who goes in the middle of the first?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Another Lineman in 1st Round? Not Likely

TUESDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2013
    WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Normally, the free agency period would begin Friday, but it kept being pushed back and now it’s almost into the Ides of March. The NFL now wants to push it back even more, push the draft back more, into May, and just stretch this offseason for every single bit of drama it can wring out of it.

Yet, at the same time, the new CBA won’t allow players to work out together at the team’s facility until the middle of April April and then only strength and conditioning coaches can work with the players. The practices, commonly known as OTAs, cannot take place until after the draft and then only 10 are permitted.

The union fought for those rules, not NFL management, because it wanted to limit what was required in the offseason in “voluntary” workouts.

When I first began covering the Steelers for the Post-Gazette, there were no OTAs, no offseason workouts, not even organized weight lifting by the team. Chuck Noll did not believe in it and he detested the fact that some teams paid their players to actually lift weights in a structured environment at their facilities. He could get away with it previously because no NFL teams believed in such an offseason routine. But when others started doing it, the Steelers fell behind; perhaps that is why their record in the 1980s was so dismal.

As more and more put in offseason “voluntary” workouts, other teams had to do it to keep up with the Joneses. It was getting out of hand, however, and the union pushed for rules and then tightened them to where we are today.

Onto some stuff:

--- Kevin Colbert says the Steelers could draft a guard at No. 17, and I believe he believes that because he believes strongly in going with the highest rated prospect – to a point. Kevin also was there when he and Bill Cowher, according to Dan Rooney, wanted to draft a guard in the first round in 2004 and instead Rooney stepped into the conversation and turned it toward the quarterback.

--- To remind those about what the line should look like to open 2013, barring injuries and other foreseen calamaties that often beset them, the Steelers offensive line should look like this from left to right: Marcus Gilbert (2nd round, 2011), Kelvin Beachum (7th round, 2012), Maurkice Pouncey (1st round, 2010), David DeCastro (1st round, 2012), Mike Adams (2nd round, 2012). After ignoring the offensive line high in the draft for a decade, the Steelers have poured 67 percent of their top two draft picks into it the past three years. They can stop now.

--- They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for.

--- The Steelers have drafted five linemen in their six picks in the first two rounds the past three years, counting defensive end Cam Heyward. The only player in the top two rounds not a lineman was linebacker Jason Worilds, picked in the second round in 2010.

--- Ziggy Hood, their top selection in 2009, enters the final year of his contract. Typically, this is the year they would try to sign him to a new one, before the start of the season. Will they?

--- Worilds also enters the final year of his contract. If they believe he is the heir apparent to James Harrison, shouldn’t they try to extend him now?

--- The Steelers have been spot on for the most part in keeping the young players they want to keep, but that is about to end as both Mike Wallace and, perhaps Keenan Lewis, head elsewhere as unrestricted free agents. Some might lump Rashard Mendenhall in there as well.

--- The last young free agents the Steelers lost who they really would have preferred to keep were safety Chris Hope and receiver Antwaan Randle El in 2006 and receiver Nate Washington in 2009.

--- If Doug Legursky leaves as a free agent, John Malecki will take his place as the backup center/guard.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120019-ed-another-lineman-in-1st-round-not-likely[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

--- They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120019-ed-another-lineman-in-1st-round-not-likely[/URL][/QUOTE]

We all understand we'll need a feature back and receiver and I'm sure the Steelers will address that in the draft, but it works both ways you need a solid line for the back to run with consistency.
    I'm for taking the BPA no matter what position, as the article stated we better get a back & receiver but I don't see an Adrian peterson in the draft to pick in round one.

I've been a supporter of drafting Warmack as everyone knows, I think he would be the best player on the board if he was there @17, so if the Steelers want the next Alan Fanaca they would have that opportunity. It's not only that, losing Colon, Foster thins our O-line out, then with Starks leaving we are really thined out. What happens if injuries occur again? We have Malecki as the only signed O-lineman and he plays guard only. Even if we sign Legursky we are still thin on that line especially at Tackle where Warmack could probably play in an emergency situation Legursky surely couldn't play tackle.

I know most of you have a favorite player in mind when we pick, but would any of you be disappointed if we did indeed draft Warmack? Please don't bring up we already invested in the line, just ask yourself if you would be disappointed.
    For me I want my first round pick to be a dominate player even if he doesn't start right away, we could have both with Warmack a starter and dominate at his position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would be disappointed with Warmack or Cooper for that matter. Nothing against them as players. I also think the Steelers would hope not to be put in that situation. If they are there at #17 and no OLB or WR that grade out is on the board....They can't get out....Warmack is the highest rated player left and they select him....I would understand.
    But I still would be disappointed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would be disappointed with Warmack or Cooper for that matter. Nothing against them as players. I also think the Steelers would hope not to be put in that situation. If they are there at #17 and no OLB or WR that grade out is on the board....They can't get out....Warmack is the highest rated player left and they select him....I would understand.
    But I still would be disappointed.
    Not sure I would be disappointed drafting Warmack at #17 when he could be the best OL you have on the team by the end of his rookie year if not sooner. That give you alot of flexibility going forward in negotiations with guys as they are looking at their second contracts.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"