Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The case FOR Harrison

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Panthers...Jon Beason's cap hit is 9.5 mill next year.

When I said "these teams" I meant bad teams who are notorious for overpaying players. Plenty of teams have LB's making 5 to 6 mill who aren't of JH's caliber present day.

Woodley is #2 with a cap hit of 10.25 mill.... that guy is stealing.

[URL]http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/linebacker/[/URL]
    Is it his fault the Steelers restructured him twice and pushed his cap hit into the future?

That is his cap hit is so high. Also why he can't be cut. Nor should we cut him. This is a make or break season for Woodley as to whether he stays with the Steelers beyond this year.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Is it his fault the Steelers restructured him twice and pushed his cap hit into the future. That is why it is so high now. Also why he can't be cut. Nor should we cut him. This is a make or break season for Woodley as to whether he stays with the Steelers beyond this year.
    If you cut him this year it would be a -1.1 mil cap savings! 14.3 mil dead money...OUCH!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Panthers...Jon Beason's cap hit is 9.5 mill next year.

When I said "these teams" I meant bad teams who are notorious for overpaying players. Plenty of teams have LB's making 5 to 6 mill who aren't of JH's caliber present day.

Woodley is #2 with a cap hit of 10.25 mill.... that guy is stealing.

[URL]http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/linebacker/[/URL]
    Beason was only 26 years old when he signed his extension two years ago...

Harrison will be 35...it's a different situation...

Plenty of teams have LBs maikg 5-6 million, but those LBs aren't 35 and didn't just ink their new deals...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Did you see the part where I said he was still good in the run game? You don't pay 3-4 OLB'ers that much money to play well in the run game.

Woodley is another one that needs to be on notice. However, he is much younger and will therefore get a chance to show it was just a poor two year period. Even Terrell Suggs had some down years.

As for Worilds and his fleet footedness. I disagree with you. Worilds had a fantastic sub 1.6 10 yard split in the forty. He is explosive. His run defense is where he lacks and I think he can get better with reps.

He will have a healthy offseason. Worilds will come to training camp ripped and strong.
    Worilds ran that fast in the combines prior to becoming a pro, but I don't think he's that fast any more...he tried to bulk up like Woodley, and it took some of his speed away.

You sound as though the only weak spot in Worilds' game is run defense, and yet the "experts" on this board say that's not all that important; rushing the passer and covering receivers are the important facets. Well if Worilds was so great at those aspects this last season, why the heck couldn't he beat out Harrison or Woodley?
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 02-15-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

stopping the run isn't important until you can't do it anymore.

we have been spoiled by doing it so well for so long that its almost an afterthought for some people.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

we have been spoiled by doing it so well for so long that its almost an afterthought for some people.
    Spot on, Pasta Man.

And Harrison has been a big part of that. I think he's probably gone in a few weeks, but I don't see how losing him can help our defense this coming season.

Maybe Woodley and Worilds will get serious about conditioning, and improve their play. I'm afraid to count on that, however.

I'm hoping we can find an OLB gem in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Worilds ran that fast in the combines prior to becoming a pro, but I don't think he's that fast any more...he tried to bulk up like Woodley, and it took some of his speed away.

You sound as though the only weak spot in Worilds' game is run defense, and yet the "experts" on this board say that's not all that important; rushing the passer and covering receivers are the important facets. Well if Worilds was so great at those aspects this last season, why the heck couldn't he beat out Harrison or Woodley?
    Because he isn't as good as either one of them, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The purge that's coming is going to leave the Steelers in a bad way next year and, unless, they hit the draft lottery this year that downturn could last for a "few" years, IMO.

The players behind the vets (and, I know we can't keep them) just simply aren't as good at playing football as the vets.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

You only have to remember back to the beginning of the year when teams were gouging the defense in the run game and the board was in meltdown mode over Ziggy and Heyward. Guess who else wasn't playing at that time? James freaking Harrison wasn't on the field and neither was Polamalu after game 2 or 3. Coincidence? I think not.

James is gone, I get it, but believing the defense will be better because of it is silly, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Silverback = Beast. Hate thinking about him leaving this team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

That is a simple question to answer. He wasn't healthy until after the season started. His biggest non football weakness is his health. This dates back to college. This is where you could debate about Worilds the most and have a shot at winning.

He hasn't lost his explosiveness and he was lifting weights with Harrison once he was healthy. His weight came down after he was able to get into shape.

Health is his biggest question mark.
    Here comes the BOOM!