Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A great read on Wallace, and might make some look different at the situation...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    This is, Chadman would assume, the general thinking of the average Steeler fan.

That's a lot of money, right? Yes- it is. If the Steelers offered Chadman $10m average for 5 years, he'd sign it on the spot- no questions asked.

But that's more than likely due to the fact that $10m average for 5 years is more than Chadman could possibly ever earn.

Not so for Mike Wallace. He obviously feels he can earn better elsewhere- and he's likely right.

Does this make him greedy? Ok- to the average 5 day a week employee, who sees $80k a year as a solid wage, sure- wanting more than $10m a year is greedy. Come live in the real world, right?

But that isn't a star NFL players 'real world'. Their real world is counted in millions, not thousands- and what seems astronomical to us, is 'normal' to them.

Put it this way- if Joe Shmo worked at Company A, and earned $70k a year, but he saw similar jobs in rival companies paying $90k a year- is Joe Shmo greedy to want his wage to go up to $90k? If he'd been employed by Company A as a kid out of school, but saw a higher paying job at Company B come up, should he feel that he can't chase the extra dollars at Company B, because of loyalty to his original employer?

If Chadman was Joe Shmo- he'd jump at Company B's money.

If Wallace feels he deserves more, then who can argue that? If he feels he's going to get more elsewhere than what the Steelers offered him, that doesn't make him 'greedy' any more than Joe Shmo is greedy. Could he live comfortably on $10m? Absolutely. But why should he settle for that if he can get more?
    Now, it just remains to be seen if, based upon his last year-and-a-half, Wallace will be able to get more...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Wallace gets no sympathy from me.. I have no problem with him trying to get paid but it's not like we didn't offer him a contract.

The Knox comparison makes no sense at all...
    Not sure 'sympathy' is what he's looking for- or what "Wallace fans" are looking for. Certainly not what Chadman is looking for in his defense of Wallace. You are spot on- he got offered a contract, he chose to reject it.

Chadman's problem with the whole thing is not so much that the Steelers couldn't get Wallace signed.

It's the over-reaction to it that bothers Chadman. Signing Brown to that big contract was unnecessary. Brown would have been a RFA now, not UFA. The Steelers could have done with Brown what they did with Wallace- offer him the highest tender of just over $2m, and then negotiated a longer contract next year. Instead, he'll cost $6.2m against the cap, that the Steelers currently sit $16m over. How many players are going to be cut in order to accomodate Brown's contract?

All good that they have him signed up long term. But they jumped too early, and results last year suggest they overspent on a one year sensation. The difference to signing Wallace is that Wallace had 3 years of production under his belt, Brown had 1. Chadman makes no secret that he's a gambler, and if he were to put money on who offers the safer bet- it'd be Wallace every time.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Now, it just remains to be seen if, based upon his last year-and-a-half, Wallace will be able to get more...
    Conversely, it now waits to be seen if based on the last 12 months, the Steelers overspent on Brown too.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

I get the argument for security, the possibility of injury, etc. What Wallace failed to appreciate, however, is that this security comes with a price when you are under team control. If he wanted that security last year, he should have taken the deal the Steelers offered (assuming the reports are true). He obviously chose the other path, opting against security and instead taking a risk and hoping for a bigger payout.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I get the argument for security, the possibility of injury, etc. What Wallace failed to appreciate, however, is that this security comes with a price when you are under team control. If he wanted that security last year, he should have taken the deal the Steelers offered (assuming the reports are true). He obviously chose the other path, opting against security and instead taking a risk and hoping for a bigger payout.
    And in the process, he played scared in 2012 - trying to make sure he didn't get injured, which hurt the team. THAT'S what I have a problem with. If you decide to shun the Steelers' offer (which would make him more wealthy than most people on the planet) so that you can get more money elsewhere - fine - I don't fault him for that. But then at least honor the contract you HAVE and play the best ball you can play and let the cards fall where they may.

If security was his main concern, he should have taken the Steelers' offer. Then he's set for life regardless of what happens in 2012. But top money was his main concern. So, man-up and play lights out for that next contract, instead of playing scared hoping your next contract will come based on past performances.

Legend

User Info Menu

We'll see what Wallace actually signs for. I believe it will be less than Wallace and his Fan Club would believe. I think the past season should rightly raise some red flags to anyone looking to sign him and give him a big payday. I've seen nothing that suggests that he will maintain a high motivation level once he has that big contract. After all, by his own admission he "loses focus" and let's not forget that once Brown started to take the limelight away in the second half of 2011 it was well documented that he was pouting.

If he can get his money good for him. No doubt some NFL team will be stupid enough to dump a ton of money on the "one trick pony," but with what we know of his mental make up after the past year and half how do you think he will handle the pressure to perform? Just glad the Steelers won't be the ones tying up that much money.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Doesn't change my opinion at all. He was offered at least $8M and and an average of $10M according to rerports. His signing bonus alone would allow someone to live very comfortably for the rest of their life. The bottomline is Wallace got greedy and bumbled the negotiations with the Steelers by doing exactly what they ask their players not to do. He then had a down season that will effect his value. That's on him.
    Agreed, it seems he was offered a healthy contract, one that would set him for life in case of injury. He decides not to sign it and play without guarantees. Now, we are supposed to feel sorry for him? No, not buying it.
    Last edited by Shawn; 02-15-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not sure 'sympathy' is what he's looking for- or what "Wallace fans" are looking for. Certainly not what Chadman is looking for in his defense of Wallace. You are spot on- he got offered a contract, he chose to reject it.

Chadman's problem with the whole thing is not so much that the Steelers couldn't get Wallace signed.

It's the over-reaction to it that bothers Chadman. Signing Brown to that big contract was unnecessary. Brown would have been a RFA now, not UFA. The Steelers could have done with Brown what they did with Wallace- offer him the highest tender of just over $2m, and then negotiated a longer contract next year. Instead, he'll cost $6.2m against the cap, that the Steelers currently sit $16m over. How many players are going to be cut in order to accomodate Brown's contract?

All good that they have him signed up long term. But they jumped too early, and results last year suggest they overspent on a one year sensation. The difference to signing Wallace is that Wallace had 3 years of production under his belt, Brown had 1. Chadman makes no secret that he's a gambler, and if he were to put money on who offers the safer bet- it'd be Wallace every time.
    If Wallace gets a crazy offer from another team Brown would surely do the same exact thing to get a similar pay day.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't want Wallace for an average of 10 mil / year, or even 9 mil / year.

I MIGHT consider 8 mil / year and that is a huge MIGHT.

He might get a lot of money from another franchise. Good for him. I just hope it's not with the Steelers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If someone wants pay Wallace a huge chunk of change, more power to them. I just personally don't think he is that good. I think he is an incomplete WR. I think all it would take is one bad ankle or knee injury and he is done just like Willie Parker. Once that speed is lessened even a little bit, it's over for guys like Wallace.

Brown will shift back out to running Wallace routes, put up great numbers, and is a much more complete WR then Wallace. I'm glad we signed the one and not the other.
    @_Hellgrammite