Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: A great read on Wallace, and might make some look different at the situation...

Legend

User Info Menu

Simply put, Wallace wants to be paid as a team's No. 1 WR, but he isn't. Does anyone really believe he can average 6 or more receptions a game and stay intact? I don't. One tweaked knee or ankle and the guy's value will plummet. Wallace himself knows it and it is the reason why things played out the way they did last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace wasn't going to make 10 million per year with the Steelers. Not sure why fans continue to insist the he was going to make 10 million per year??? NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Sidney Rice - 18 mill guaranteed money.

Santonio Holmes - 24 mill in guaranteed money.

Vincent Jackson - 26 mill in guaranteede money.

Greg Jennings - 16.5 mill in guaranteed money.

Roddy White - 18.6 mill in guaranteed money.

Reggie Wayne - 12.5 guaranteed money

Andre Johnson - 48 mill guaranteed money

Miles Austin - 18 mill guaranteed money

Brandon Marshall - 25 mill guaranteed money

Calvin Johnson - 60 mill guaranteed money

Larry Fitz - 50 mill in guaranteed money

Guaranteed money offers more long term security then the overall value of a contract in the NFL. Basketball and baseball contracts are generally guaranteed. Wallace would had been a nut job to settle for a deal that only included 8.5 mill in guaranteed money based on what other WR's received.

$$

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace wasn't going to make 10 million per year with the Steelers. Not sure why fans continue to insist the he was going to make 10 million per year??? NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Sidney Rice - 18 mill guaranteed money.

Santonio Holmes - 24 mill in guaranteed money.

Vincent Jackson - 26 mill in guaranteede money.

Greg Jennings - 16.5 mill in guaranteed money.

Roddy White - 18.6 mill in guaranteed money.

Reggie Wayne - 12.5 guaranteed money

Andre Johnson - 48 mill guaranteed money

Miles Austin - 18 mill guaranteed money

Brandon Marshall - 25 mill guaranteed money

Calvin Johnson - 60 mill guaranteed money

Larry Fitz - 50 mill in guaranteed money

Guaranteed money offers more long term security then the overall value of a contract in the NFL. Basketball and baseball contracts are generally guaranteed. Wallace would had been a nut job to settle for a deal that only included 8.5 mill in guaranteed money based on what other WR's received.
    I don't believe that Mike Wallace compares favorably with any of those receivers when it comes to production and ability. Mike Wallace is a good receiver, but not in the category with those players, they will all go and battle for the ball to greater degree than Mike Wallace, IMO. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 guaranteed would be the most I go to try and secure him long term.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

From what I heard he wanted a contract compairable to > Star receiver Vincent Jackson, formerly of the San Diego Chargers, has agreed to terms with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, per several sources. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal is for $55.55 million over five years, with $26 million guaranteed, and $26 million overall in the first two years. Actually, according to Pro Football Talk, the contract number comes to $55,555,555

I think the sticking point was the guaranteed amount that Wallace wanted. His next contract could be his last so he's looking at it with a different mindset than we are. He wanted a contract that the Steelers wern't willing to sign so we move on so does Mike.
    I'm not going to burn bread on Mike, he played well for us his first few years and maybe not up to standards but outside of Heath who did?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's resign ourselves to the fact that he's gone & what should be done to replace him. He was good while here but he's on to greener pastures & by greener pastures I mean either a dome or warm weather team...& that's fine with me, not only because players come & go but because I don't believe he wanted to be here & it showed. We can argue motivation, money, effort & reactions of both sides all day but I firmly believe that if he & the the team wanted him to be here, then he would be.

That said, we can only hope the team has identified a replacement that will mesh with Ben & the other WRs & help take this team to another level.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I think the big gripe is that he is a p*ssy... We all saw Ben throw passes down the sideline that were maybe underthrown where Wallace turns, has plenty of time to make a break for the ball, but a defender is there so he stands and watches the defender either easily knock it away or pick it off with absolutely no effort to mix it up with the DB at all like the good WR's do. That is just pure lack of effort, or balls...
    What he said... Who wants to pay that guy top tier money?!? Anquan Boldin made Flacco king of the playoffs. If the ball is thrown anywhere in his vicinity, its either caught or he ensures that the defender doesn't intercept it. If unibrow had Wallace, he wouldn't have made it past round 2...

I don't like Wallace because he screwed himself and the team last year. And I get tired of hearing how I am just a hater because of my position. Good debaters use facts without name calling and assumptions about others "true motivations." Which one are you?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    I don't like Wallace because he screwed himself and the team last year. And I get tired of hearing how I am just a hater because of my position. Good debaters use facts without name calling and assumptions about others "true motivations." Which one are you?
    you just agreed with a guy that called wallace a p*ssy.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    you just agreed with a guy that called wallace a p*ssy.
    Yes I did. So what? The debate is ABOUT him, not WITH him...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    At least the Brown Fan Club will have a Steeler to root for and pull for who is helping the Steelers. Wallace's boys will have nothing but memories.
    Yes. Fond memories of a WR who could actually score.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Wallace is one of the most overrated WRs in the NFL.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.