AkronSteel's 1st 2013 Mock Draft

1. Kevin Minter, ILB / LSU
    2. Eddie Lacy, RB / Alabama
    3. Markus Wheaton, WR / Oregon State
    4. Sean Porter, OLB / Texas A&M
    5. Zac Dysert, QB / Miami (OH)
    6. Jake Stoneburner, TE / Ohio State
    7. Brandon Williams, NT / Missouri Southern

The team will not be able to address all their needs with one draft class. The secondary gets neglected in this scenario but I fully expect the Steelers to do all they can to keep Keenan Lewis. That would give the team 3 solid experienced corners going into next season with Taylor, Lewis, and Allen and some other young players to compete for the latter roles like Brown, Van Dyke, King, and Victorian. Clark and Polamalu will return in 2013 to be the starters at safety and the team likes Robert Golden going forward. I would expect the team to push for a veteran minimum deal with Will Allen.

What this draft will accomplish is supplying the Steelers with a run stuffing ILB in the 1st round that will fit nice beside LT. The draft will supply Ben with playmakers at RB, WR, TE, and also give the team a young QB whom Ben already has a relationship with as a security blanket for Ben. Plus, the team gets much younger at the position. Porter and Williams would add depth to the front 7 that the Steelers will be missing a lot. It's not the best scenario but I wouldn't complain May 1st if these 7 guys are wearing Black & Gold.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

I would be happy with this scenario. I too feel that the ILB position needs an upgrade to help out Timmons. Lacy would come in and start right away.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

That would be a great draft.

Somehow though I think this may be a two Safety draft like when we took two LBs with Timmons and Woodley and two OL with DeCastro and Adams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thats a good draft.

I like picks Rd 2- Rd 6 but i am not a fan of ILB at 17. I just don't see the impact. One can easily get a thumper to compliment Timmons in later rounds.

People complain about too many high draft picks on O-line but with Minter pick Steelers will have two 1st Rd picks (mid-teens) and two 2nd Rd picks. Thats crazy amount to tie on one single unit. Timmons and Woodley are already paid and Worilids contract will be up soon. Can Minter beat Sly or Spence (healthy) in depth chart ?? Most likely Minter will be on bench for 2-3 years and Steelers have too many holes to fill to allow a high Rd 1 pick to be on bench for so long.

Steelers will be better off to re-sign Larry Foote for a year and see how Spence play.

Steelers need a player who can either score TDs or create turnovers/put pressure on QB IMO.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    1. Kevin Minter, ILB / LSU
    2. Eddie Lacy, RB / Alabama
    3. Markus Wheaton, WR / Oregon State
    4. Sean Porter, OLB / Texas A&M
    5. Zac Dysert, QB / Miami (OH)
    6. Jake Stoneburner, TE / Ohio State
    7. Brandon Williams, NT / Missouri Southern
    1. I like Minter, but not at pick 17. I would take him in a trade down scenario.

2. I don't like Eddie Lacy for the ZBS scheme Haley and Bicknell are implementing. I don't see him as a great fit. I worry about his production behind a line that was NFL Caliber against d-lines that may nor may not be in the NFL. He didn't have great games against LSU and that is as close to NFL caliber d-line he faced all year.

3. I like this pick. Marcus Wheaton is pretty polished and might be able to contribute pretty quickly.

4. This is an ok pick, but he is not a Rush-Backer in the 3-4. He is a better fit as a 4-3 OLB.

5. I would take this one in a heartbeat if he was there in the 5th. He is likely a 3rd or 4th rounder.

6. Good Pick.

7. I like this guy, but he is a minimum of a 4th rounder and will probably be gone in the 3rd. No way he is a 7th round pick.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Rookie

User Info Menu

i;ll throw a party if the draft goes exactly like that!!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

I too would be pleased with that draft. Would love to drop back a few spots in the first and still nab Minter. That would let us get a safety in the middle rounds. Otherwise would be a solid young class of contributors.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive mock draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

other then your 1st rounder... i like it