Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers hire WR coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I'm so amazingly tired of reading about the supposed "Tomlin Cronies". As several have pointed out in various threads if this is a problem then you better start marking up EVERY OTHER COACH IN THE NFL! I'm pretty sure Tomlin knows how to Coach, he did win one of the most coveted Jobs in the NFL and has done a pretty damn good job all things considered with quite a bit of on and off the field adversity. Let's wait and see how this guy pans out but he has a strong track record and all the Monday morning qb's on this site don't unless we're talking about a propensity to B*tch and moan like grade school kids.
    Exactly. Tomlin is going with someone he knows and has seen operate first hand who has a solid resume. Maybe he should just advertise the job in the Post Gazette or take someone elese's opinion on a coach he knows nothing about. The cronyism comments is just plain stupid talk. Every coach in the league has other coaches he has relationship with and either gives them jobs on their staffs or gets them jobs. It is exactly the same way in college. It's all about networks and having a network of people you know and trust.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Maybe he should just advertise the job in the Post Gazette
    That cracked me up. Although, he'd still most likely get a Pittsburgher which seems to be a problem for some. Maybe he should go with the Wall Street Journal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That cracked me up. Although, he'd still most likely get a Pittsburgher which seems to be a problem for some. Maybe he should go with the Wall Street Journal.
    The initial 'Apparently you have to be from Pittsburgh to get a coaching job here' was stated in a joking manner as 3 of our last 4 new coaching hires are from Pittsburgh. Not sure what is getting everyone fired up.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

relax guys. not sure you can blame tomlin for this. not even sure if he was allowed to make the hire

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you guys don't like these old coaches call them up and tell them about it. Richard Manns phone number is 9 and Dick Lebeaus phone number is 3.

Heck, Bruce Arians was our receivers coach so by comparrison, this guy will be like having Vince Lombardi.

Administrator

User Info Menu

"For the past few years, Mann has been assisting and consulting players as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Mann spent the 2001 season as the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach."

By past few years, do they mean12 years? Wow, he must be a hot commodity in the NFL circles. No coaching jobs in the last 12 years? Nice hire Tomlin.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    "For the past few years, Mann has been assisting and consulting players as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Mann spent the 2001 season as the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach."

By past few years, do they mean12 years? Wow, he must be a hot commodity in the NFL circles. No coaching jobs in the last 12 years? Nice hire Tomlin.
    he coached last with the bucs in 2009.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he coached last with the bucs in 2009.
    Gotcha. I misread that. So three years he was unemployed?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I'm so amazingly tired of reading about the supposed "Tomlin Cronies". As several have pointed out in various threads if this is a problem then you better start marking up EVERY OTHER COACH IN THE NFL! I'm pretty sure Tomlin knows how to Coach, he did win one of the most coveted Jobs in the NFL and has done a pretty damn good job all things considered with quite a bit of on and off the field adversity. Let's wait and see how this guy pans out but he has a strong track record and all the Monday morning qb's on this site don't unless we're talking about a propensity to B*tch and moan like grade school kids.

So many people are so quick to judgment in the face of a complete lack of evidence. Invariably, these premature assessments are negative. It seems that if you dislike Tomlin (for whatever reason) you must also dislike any hires done under his tenure. Really don't understand why people feel the need to jump to conclusions all the time around here, but the lack of rationality is mind boggling.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post

So many people are so quick to judgment in the face of a complete lack of evidence. Invariably, these premature assessments are negative. It seems that if you dislike Tomlin (for whatever reason) you must also dislike any hires done under his tenure. Really don't understand why people feel the need to jump to conclusions all the time around here, but the lack of rationality is mind boggling.
    I don't know if that is fair. I think it's people being critical and judgemental. I've liked certain things Tomlin did this year from a discipline perspective (i.e. Mendenhall situation) but other decisions are certainly questionable.