Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers build their future now, and bite the bullet in 2013?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should the Steelers build their future now, and bite the bullet in 2013?

[url]http://steelblitz.com/should-the-steelers-just-bite-the-bullet-in-2013-and-start-building-for-the-future/2631/2013/02/11[/url]

It's tough to say. On one hand if they release too many vets especially the ones who did contribute in a good way, some pain will be involved as younger talent lacks the experience. On the other hand the idea getting younger sooner is thought to be a better strategy for the future.

I tend to think we still need some veterans in the mix. We started our transistion last year releasing long time players like Farrior and Ward and this season there will be more. It is my contention we do it gradually, with the 2014 season being the last year of transition. You still need some stability that older good players provide and what it takes to build a champioship team. The other thing is what if the new guys don't pan out and you already released a vet who could of made a difference?

No doubt, we'll see some new faces but lets not blow up the team just to get younger. I'm sure the Steelers FO will make these tough decisions keeping in mind you still need a core of vets to lead the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

No point removing players simply because they are 'old'.

If they are productive, and if there is no genuine progession plan in place for that position- there is no reason to remove an 'older' player.

But if their production & cap cost are not relative, and if there is already a young player in place to replace that older player- then sure, it's time to at least consider moving on.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

We do have a good number of players whose "production and cap cost are not relative", so I think there will be a larger-than-usual turnover this offseason. And it's bound to hurt some come the beginning of the season. But if we get the right players in the draft, and plug in the right players who are currently on the roster, we should be OK by midseason. We might drop out of playoff contention this season, but should be back in it next season.

Hey, it's one thing to make big roster changes to a 12-4 team, but we're talking about an 8-8 team...the time has come.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    We do have a good number of players whose "production and cap cost are not relative", so I think there will be a larger-than-usual turnover this offseason.
    This! Past contributions should not earn any player a "pass" for decreasing levels of performance. I view 2013 as a "reset" year where is they make the significant cuts they really should they have the opportunity to lay the groundwork for the future and maximize their flexibility moving forward.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

But throwing players on the field who are simply not ready, or never going to be ready, doesn't help the team, the player or the players around him.

For example- letting Ike Taylor go in order to sign Keenan Lewis & play Cortez Allen- ok, that's understandable- both young players have been exposed, they are ready. Cutting Troy Polamalu to insert Robert Golden- not a smart move- Golden hasn't shown the ability to contribute at all.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta keep the players that give us the best chance of winning the next SuperBowl. But also put us in position to win again the next year and the next year.

I wouldnt throw out the old guys. Some can still play. And this team isn't that far from being a SuperBowl contender.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they can do both. For example, I would not be surprised if they decide to re-sign one or even 2 of these players discussed on here as a possible cut......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think coming off an 8-8 year & given the cap situation, you would have to target high cap hits for players over 30 on decline. That list includes Polamalu, Clark, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, and throw in Colon. That also means not bringing back Foote, Hampton, Allen, Pope, & Burress until late in the game "If you have to" after the draft. At some point, every team who contends has to do a cap dump or part ways with fan favorites. You have to rely on good drafting & good coaching to remain competitive. Many are scared or don't want to face the reality but it has to happen for the Steelers too. The future is on the coaches and draft choices who are still question marks. It has to be done to preserve the youthful core long term.

I honestly think a surprise cut is coming in the Safety spot and I think it is Clark. Clark played better than Troy but Clark's contract makes him more attractive. I hope they figure out a way to keep them together another year but we will see. I also think Troy's future has a move to FS & maybe as early as 2013 if they could get an Ellam or Cyprien. Those to seem to be near images of what Troy does around the LOS.

Harrison is gone and Worilds, Carter, and Robinson are next in line. Have to see what those guys have and Harrison's decline is narrowing the drop off. Harrison's cap number, decline, and age makes it the simple but not easy choice.

If they retain Lewis, Taylor becomes an option IF they need cap space. I expect Taylor to remain in 2013 regardless of what happens to Lewis.

Keisel played well but he is in his last year and cutting him creates a good amount of space to dead money. They have young players in place behind him. However, I think he will play out his contract in 2013.

Colon will have to take a pay cut to remain. I actually expect him to.

Foote, Hampton, Allen, Pope, & Burress will be hole fillers if needed after the draft or if Spence & Miller look to remain sidelined on the PUP.

Don't get too attached because the 2014 league year will see the 2013 "survivors" under contract cut (Polamalu, Taylor, Colon). It will also see the "survivors" who played out their final year in 2013 searching for a new home if they want to play (Clark, Keisel, Cotchery). At that point, the fat has been trimmed. We can all hope that the players are in place & stepped up to make the next run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    But throwing players on the field who are simply not ready, or never going to be ready, doesn't help the team, the player or the players around him.

For example- letting Ike Taylor go in order to sign Keenan Lewis & play Cortez Allen- ok, that's understandable- both young players have been exposed, they are ready. Cutting Troy Polamalu to insert Robert Golden- not a smart move- Golden hasn't shown the ability to contribute at all.
    You won't know they aren't ready unless you give them a chance to prove it in game situations. Plus if they prove to not be ready you have essential data to make informed decisions moving forward. Keep in mind the players some are saying we should keep another year are so contributed to an 8 loss season when they could actually get onto the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think coming off an 8-8 year & given the cap situation, you would have to target high cap hits for players over 30 on decline. That list includes Polamalu, Clark, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, and throw in Colon. That also means not bringing back Foote, Hampton, Allen, Pope, & Burress until late in the game "If you have to" after the draft. At some point, every team who contends has to do a cap dump or part ways with fan favorites. You have to rely on good drafting & good coaching to remain competitive. Many are scared or don't want to face the reality but it has to happen for the Steelers too. The future is on the coaches and draft choices who are still question marks. It has to be done to preserve the youthful core long term.

I honestly think a surprise cut is coming in the Safety spot and I think it is Clark. Clark played better than Troy but Clark's contract makes him more attractive. I hope they figure out a way to keep them together another year but we will see. I also think Troy's future has a move to FS & maybe as early as 2013 if they could get an Ellam or Cyprien. Those to seem to be near images of what Troy does around the LOS.

Harrison is gone and Worilds, Carter, and Robinson are next in line. Have to see what those guys have and Harrison's decline is narrowing the drop off. Harrison's cap number, decline, and age makes it the simple but not easy choice.

If they retain Lewis, Taylor becomes an option IF they need cap space. I expect Taylor to remain in 2013 regardless of what happens to Lewis.

Keisel played well but he is in his last year and cutting him creates a good amount of space to dead money. They have young players in place behind him. However, I think he will play out his contract in 2013.

Colon will have to take a pay cut to remain. I actually expect him to.

Foote, Hampton, Allen, Pope, & Burress will be hole fillers if needed after the draft or if Spence & Miller look to remain sidelined on the PUP.

Don't get too attached because the 2014 league year will see the 2013 "survivors" under contract cut (Polamalu, Taylor, Colon). It will also see the "survivors" who played out their final year in 2013 searching for a new home if they want to play (Clark, Keisel, Cotchery). At that point, the fat has been trimmed. We can all hope that the players are in place & stepped up to make the next run.

Cutting Clark may not be a surprise. I apologize because I can't remember where I read it but I did read something about the injury he had towards the end of the season being more serious than it appeared. He may be cut because of health concerns.