Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Widen Field?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Thank you. I have been having a hard time watching lately. The game is so not what I fell in love with as a boy. Let a great thing be great and leave it alone!!!!

Really sick of the Goodell era.
    And the game you fell in love with is not the game your grandfather fell in love with. The NFL has always been evolving and changing. We just can't get past ourselves to take a look at it in a historical context because we think the here and now are the beat all to end all.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Widen the field...eliminate kickoffs and punts...make it two-hand touch instead of tackle (but no "hard" touching, and no touching the face or the privates;Goodell has to have something to fine)...no running the ball on offense and no rushing the QB on defense...6 downs instead of 4...every player on offense is an eligible receiver...make it mandatory that every team has three chicks playing on the field at all times, dressed in skimpy attire...and while we're at it, let's change the name, because "football" is so yesterday...

Come on. This is all nuts...let's quit messing with a game that was, a few years ago, the best one going.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 02-13-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't like the game as much as I used to when I was younger. I didn't like the Mel Blount rule, I hate the Hines Ward rule, the no bumping after 5 yards is pathetic and almost impossible to officiate because it is subjective, I don't like not being able to hit the quarterback except above the waist and below the shoulders (things happen in an NFL game) and I hate instant replay, but there aren't enough people turning off football games and so, we get the current NFL. I'm sure Goodell has hired research firms to do demographic studies to find out who likes what about the game and the newer fans love offense and the older fans love their defense.

The defensive minded fans will either have to wathc or not watch; me, personally, unless the Steelers are playing, I don't watch, unless there is nothing else to do. It was never that way, in the past I couldn't wait for Sunday to sit down and watch football all day, that probably hasn't happened in 15 years. I can't change what they want to do; I can only change my entertainment habits and I've done just that.

That all being said, of course, I'm not for widening the field and giving even more free reign to the offense. In my estimation it's time to put some teeth back in the defense, either by calling holding on pass plays a little tighter or allowing cornerbacks more than 5 yards to get a receiver off his route, nothing major, just subtle enough to make it a more level playing field.

In the end, the NFL will do, what they want, regardless, of whether I like it or not. I'm certain that if I weren't born and raised in Pittsburgh I wouldn't be a football fan all by now.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 02-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We just can't get past ourselves to take a look at it in a historical context because we think the here and now are the beat all to end all.

I like football. That bother you??

What's your game of late Ovi? You on a mission to change me or something? I like football the way it was, not is, and I don't feel my grandpa's emotions about it, and I don't care about your views of history or yourself importance, or whatever stick is up your butt for my posts.

Get over me and yourself. I don't like it. Get it?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they decided to widen the field 30 feet or so. I do have a problem with some of the other changes they want to make or have made in the past. Agreed that Goodell needs to go. These fines, etc. that he arbitrarily imposes on players and coaches must be done in a different way. I don't like the idea they were passing around regarding the kickoffs and just placing the ball on the 25 or whatever.

I do however think that maybe since they are heavily favoring the offenses now, that maybe a 1st and 15 instead of a 1st and 10 might be an idea worth exploring. Also, none of spot foul crap for PI. 15 yds like college....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't change a thing... well, improve or require the best equipment for the players and make every helmet have a shock sensor that tells team doctors when a player has head trauma.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Don't change a thing... well, improve or require the best equipment for the players and make every helmet have a shock sensor that tells team doctors when a player has head trauma.
    For linemen that would be every play or close to it. I have to believe that every collision a lineman has is dangerous to his cognitive abilities later in life. The accumulation of these mini-concussions during a game make it difficult to determine when enough is enough for a lineman, because it is cumulative and not one big blow to the head.

I just don't know how you make the game safer and still have it be football. weight limits? widen the field? no kickoffs? shorten the game? (12 minute quarters) The players have evolved into big, fast and strong players and the collisions are more violent than ever. Good luck making the game safer and keeping people interested. Everyone already hates the Pro-Bowl, that is basically what will be seen soon, little contact, flag football style offense and no real hitting.

It's definitely not a game for the meek.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It is not broken....don't fix it.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    bette yet, provide them with all the facts you know about head trauma then hand them a waiver stating the know the risks but care about the money more. make a choice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When big bodies fly around there is bound to be injuries, this is football not golf.

The problem in the past was coaches wanted to win so bad that a player was put right back in after a concussion. Now they are addressing it which is a good thing but don't go overboard with all the rules.

I look at it this way, anyone who played the game knows the dangers up front, that's the drawback but these guys make more in one year than we make in a lifetime in some cases.
    The only merit I see in the lawsuits is when teams and their coaches knew a player had a concussion but kept him in the game, other
    than that, the players don't have much of an advantage....they signed up for this.

Now that concussion talk is out in the open its a good thing especially for the kids. Football needs to be safe but still there is a limit on how safe you can make it or you might as well get the flags out for flag football.

Police officers put their life in danger on any call they get, what are we going to do, sue the City everytime an officer is hurt or worse killed?
    They sign up for that job because they want to protect and serve the public, same with a football player they sign up cause they love the game and the money is fantastic. There are many jobs that could lead to injury or death, we try to make them safer but the danger is still there no matter waht you do.

To make football really safe would require radical changes to the game, otherwise players are at risk, a risk they signed up for. I'm all for doing everything possible to make the game safer, but I'm not for WWF fake football and neither is the fans.