Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Says He Won't Take a Paycut--Bye James!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    There you go reading beyond the headline again...
    And for that I apologize sir.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    JPN, based on what I saw this year, there really isn't a future on this current roster on defense or at least a future that looks bright.

Worilds? - Maybe, but didn't do anything to really say, "I can't wait to see him full time."
    Carter? - Definitely not
    Robinson? - Definitely not
    Woodley? - Heck over the past two years I can't say that his future is still as bright as it was three years ago
    Sylvester? - Definitely not
    Hood/Heyward? - Same as Worilds, maybe
    McClendon? - Couldn't win the job from Casey, so a "maybe" at best
    T'amu? - nope, more off the field news than on the field
    Golden/Will Allen? - Not really, do you want them as our starting safety tandem?
    Lewis/Cortez Allen? - The only ones that really look to be on the rise and there is a strong possibility that Lewis won't be a Steeler

So, I don't really see the future on defense, maybe its there and I have no idea how to evaluate these guys, but I didn't see anything other than Lewis and Cortez Allen that said, man the future is really bright at that position.

IMO, the Steelers need to find a way to work some guys in this year and keep some vets and then complete the transition in 2014. Cleaning house this year may put the Steelers at 3rd or 4th in the division for more than 1 year, IMO, unless, tremendous strides are made by a handful of young players and I just don't see it.

Pappy
    This is a scary post but one I agree with quite a bit. Whole lot of "maybe" and "no" when it comes to replacements. There will need to be a huge level in improvement of play form the players you list just to get to decent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is a scary post but one I agree with quite a bit. Whole lot of "maybe" and "no" when it comes to replacements. There will need to be a huge level in improvement of play form the players you list just to get to decent.
    I think James Harrison was also considered a big "maybe" replacing Porter. I remember the whining about the loss of leadership and motivation when Porter was let go. How'd that work out? We heard the same thing when Plaxico left and Stupidio Holmes left. Guess what? new guys got a chance and performed just like they will when all these vets leave.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's scary because it's true. He actually gave too much credit to Hood and Heyward. I hope Tomlin and staff do not believe Mundy is the answer in any situation. Let's not forget what players will also be on the outs or on the downside of their proffesion come 2014. Ike Taylor is probably on his last high this seasons to where, his physical abilities will decline but he can ride his veteran smarts. After a while, the smarts will no longer be able to keep him on the filed once he gets slower, more injuries and all that comes along with age and contracts.

Clark is the same along with Troy and one of these days we will watch a Steeler highlight film and see all our past players and realize we are back to ground zero. If I'm right about my predictions I will also say Tomlin will only last 7 or 8 more seasons with the Steelers and they'll annouce his retirement. Just like they did with Arians. After that, we will have another few to several years of an up hill battle only IF they start drafting and developing players like they did under Cowher. Cowhers only problem was, he thought he could reach the promise land with glorified backup quarterbacks.

I might not even turn the TV on for several more seasons. Don't be too upset with me with my glass is half empty attitude. Three or four beers this weekend and I'll see all the positives and predict we will win next seasons Super Bowl. I'm a bummer when I'm sober but, I do make a very happy drunk.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think James Harrison was also considered a big "maybe" replacing Porter. I remember the whining about the loss of leadership and motivation when Porter was let go. How'd that work out? We heard the same thing when Plaxico left and Stupidio Holmes left. Guess what? new guys got a chance and performed just like they will when all these vets leave.

I was actually glad Joey was off the team but, I had no idea Harrison would do so well. As much as I stood in Plaxicos corner when he was a Steeler, I wasn't upset that he was gone. I remember him making the difficult catches but missing the ones that hit his hands. I was very high on Holmes especially with the omen of, he was the first receiver taken that season in the draft coming from a predicted weak receivers draft class. To me it was like having the number one over all pick and I knew Santonio had some talent.

The only players I've seen a little spark from the above mentioned are, Worilds and McClendon. I don't don't know if those sparks can light the fire.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If I'm right about my predictions I will also say Tomlin will only last 7 or 8 more seasons with the Steelers and they'll annouce his retirement.
    This is hilarious. I hope your being sarcastic.

Tomlin will only last 14 seasons and will be considered a failure for 2 Super Bowl appearances and one win? This will be considered a failure?

Cowher lasted 15 seasons with 2 Super Bowl appearances and one win. Is he is the second GOAT coach of the Steelers next to Knoll?

I would hope that Steelers fans would realize this will take three years to re-load/re-build. Look at 98-2000 as an example of what can be done.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If I recall correctly the year before Porter was released Harrison actually saw a decent amount of playing time due to injury to Porter and that was the year he made the interception and hurdled the Charger defender as one of his signature plays. I'm not certain, but I think that's when that all happened and the drop off from Porter to Harrison wasn't that great, so the FO believed they had Porter's replacement. I just don't see anyone replacing Harrison's production even in a year when he admits to be playing significantly less than 100%. No player could step up and take the job from him and, so, a play making position on defense will be left in the hands of a rookie or a young player that couldn't take the job away from an 80%-90% healthy James Harrison.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If I recall correctly the year before Porter was released Harrison actually saw a decent amount of playing time due to injury to Porter and that was the year he made the interception and hurdled the Charger defender as one of his signature plays. I'm not certain, but I think that's when that all happened and the drop off from Porter to Harrison wasn't that great, so the FO believed they had Porter's replacement. I just don't see anyone replacing Harrison's production even in a year when he admits to be playing significantly less than 100%. No player could step up and take the job from him and, so, a play making position on defense will be left in the hands of a rookie or a young player that couldn't take the job away from an 80%-90% healthy James Harrison.

Pappy
    Harrison never took Porter's job. Porter played out 2006 as the starter and was about the same level of play that year Harrison is at now. Porter's 2006 season and Harrison's 2012 season are eerily similar.

Porter was healthier and younger at that point than Harrison is now. Why all the hubbub about keeping a 35 year old player that is starting to breakdown?

They took a calculated risk on James Harrison based on spot duty up to that point. In 2006 James had 5 tackles and 3 assist to go along with .5 tackles for loss.

Before 2007 James Harrison had one good game starting for Joey Porter in 2004 and a good game against San Diego in 2005. He showed flashes of being a player.

However, takes a look at Worilds. He had 5 sacks in limited snaps. The Steelers will take a calculated risk that he can replace Harrison this year.

This will be the first season that Worilds will get a full offseason healthy and a full offseason of OTA's and mini-camps.

This gives me hope. Along with the fact he was lifting weights with Harrison like a mad man once healthy this year.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-13-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

JPN, based on what I saw this year, there really isn't a future on this current roster on defense or at least a future that looks bright.

Worilds? - Maybe, but didn't do anything to really say, "I can't wait to see him full time."
    Carter? - Definitely not
    Robinson? - Definitely not
    Woodley? - Heck over the past two years I can't say that his future is still as bright as it was three years ago
    Sylvester? - Definitely not
    Hood/Heyward? - Same as Worilds, maybe
    McClendon? - Couldn't win the job from Casey, so a "maybe" at best
    T'amu? - nope, more off the field news than on the field
    Golden/Will Allen? - Not really, do you want them as our starting safety tandem?
    Lewis/Cortez Allen? - The only ones that really look to be on the rise and there is a strong possibility that Lewis won't be a Steeler

So, I don't really see the future on defense, maybe its there and I have no idea how to evaluate these guys, but I didn't see anything other than Lewis and Cortez Allen that said, man the future is really bright at that position.

IMO, the Steelers need to find a way to work some guys in this year and keep some vets and then complete the transition in 2014. Cleaning house this year may put the Steelers at 3rd or 4th in the division for more than 1 year, IMO, unless, tremendous strides are made by a handful of young players and I just don't see it.

Pappy
    There are alot of maybes Pap. Most from limited playing time. If we knew the answers to the maybes we could all sleep better. The only ones who have a better idea if the Steelers. We can only guess. My guess based upon their actions?

Worilds - I believe the Steelers feel he is next in line.
    Carter - Still a work in progress. Depth until he shows more.
    Robinson - They liked something to protect him on the 53.
    Woodley - Still the man after a down year. Nothing to worry about.
    Sylvester - May be just depth and a role player on ST. We will find out about inside this year.
    Hood/Heyward - No reason to think they aren't the future.
    McClendon - You won't see Casey back because of him. Casey was making 4.9 mil last year on a guranteed contract. Do you think a healthy Hampton would have been benched?
    T'amu - Bent over backwards to keep him even after his problems. That tells you something.
    Golden - I took Allen off. He shouldn't be here on this list. Again, thought enough of Golden to keep him on 53. He may have a shot at the future FS.
    Lewis/Cortez Allen - Love the CB depth. Lewis should be the #1 priority.

The Steelers were 3rd in the divsion with this roster. What makes anyone think keeping these declining over paid underachieving 30+ year olds will drink from the fountain of youth and give us one for the Chief and all can ride off into the sunset and retire Steelers after they win the SB in 2013 has me puzzled. I know KC can figure it out.

Rookie

User Info Menu

i know you dont think tomlin is a better coach then cowher, tomlin should have been fired this year , bring back cowher , tomlin cant handle a old team that is proven