Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Harrison Says He Won't Take a Paycut--Bye James!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure that we can write off the players who are waiting to step in. We don't know until they get a chance. People forget that in Porter's last year while Harrison got some spot playing time in 16 games he had "Zero" sacks and then in his first year as a starter he had 8.5. IMO Worilds is already further ahead in his development than Harrison was in the same situation. In spot playing time Worilds had 5 sacks in 2012. I think that everyone looks at 2008 and Harrison's 16 sacks and act like he's had that every year. He has had three consecutive years of 16, 10, and 10.5 sacks, but he has not hit double digits for two years now and has played a total of just 24 games in two years. Sorry, but that is player at the end of his career.
    I'd go along with that except Harrison played 13 games this year, missed the first month and took the next 6 games to get back to being James. He didn't get hurt the rest of the year and as you know from watching him over the years he doesn't play at half speed ever. He was stout in the running game and getting pressure on the quarterback regardless of what the one media rag says. He never was real good in coverage in large spaces, but on a condensed field (red zone) he was good at reading the short passing game.

I admit, I love James Harrison's style and attitude and he's one of my favorites of all time. I also know that his time is over with the Steelers and it isn't because of his production. I fully believe that in 2013 and 2014 he will get double digit sacks, 4 or 5 FF, 70-80 tackles and its doubtful that he gets an INT in either season. I wish it was for the Steelers, but its highly unlikely. I'll miss James Harrison.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    JPN, I can't disagree with anything you say here. The business side of the game in this instance is causing the Steelers to probably make personnel decisions that they may not want to make this year when it comes to the veterans. I suffered through the 80s and the non competitiveness of the team after the HOFers retired or finally couldn't compete any longer. Unfortunately, while the majority of this crop of veterans aren't HOFers they are very good football players compared to those waiting to take over (IMO) and I fear the same. The only difference this time is that the Steelers do have a quarterback in place that is a proven winner.

In the next 3 to 4 weeks the Steelers will have to reveal their hand to a degree. I believe they have to be under the cap limit on or near March 14th. We'll know a lot at that point about the team and the draft in all likelihood.

Pappy
    It will be an anxious time over the month...Even for us fans. I think you are spot on with the cuts even last year. Even the case of not re-signing vets. They all could have or would contribute in some capacity but the business side of football makes in almost impossible. Who wouldn't like to have the football player Harrison on this roster? If there is some years left in him....The Steelers could benefit even if in a rotation or reserve capacity. If $$$$ & FA wasn't the issues, you could find a way. Harrison won't take a pay cut and restructuring doesn't look like the answer. Add in the fact you have a 2nd rounder behind him 10 years younger headed for FA with not certainty because of lacks of snaps & starts to grow....It is a win-lose. Can't blame Harrison standing his ground and whatever happens won't change my feeling about him.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-15-2013 at 10:24 AM.