Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 5’11” 210 lbs. South Carolina
    Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6’ 1” 245lbs, Florida
    Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 5’9” 192lbs, Pitt
    Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 6’3” 216lbs, Elon
    Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6’ 5” 218lbs, K State
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Another solid draft with good prospects, I have a TE in mine too. I think they pick one early either your pick or the kid from Notre Dame would be fine with me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey Ov. Is this what you think they will do or what you would like?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Hey Ov. Is this what you think they will do or what you would like?
    What I would like. Come April, I'm sure they will enrich the defense early

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sunny and high 70s must mean it is time for yet another mock draft

Round 1: Zach Ertz, TE, 6’6” 252lbs, Stanford
    Round 2: Barrett Jones, OL, 6’5” 302lbs, Alabama
    Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 5’11” 210 lbs. South Carolina
    Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6’ 1” 245lbs, Florida
    Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 5’9” 192lbs, Pitt
    Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 6’3” 216lbs, Elon
    Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6’ 5” 218lbs, K State
    If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them. The guy is supposed to be late first round material. Why would they take him at 17? We desperately need OLB, NT, CB, S, RB, WR help before we should go looking for a TE.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them. The guy is supposed to be late first round material. Why would they take him at 17? We desperately need OLB, NT, CB, S, RB, WR help before we should go looking for a TE.
    Lets see if you can play civil. Maybe it would be a trade back? Or the Steelers an NFL coaches have him rated higher then the draft media does. It happens all the time. Players do get taken much higher then there draft media grade. I also would not be excited. But it could be a good time to get Millers replacement. Will Miller come back 100%?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Lets see if you can play civil. Maybe it would be a trade back? Or the Steelers an NFL coaches have him rated higher then the draft media does. It happens all the time. Players do get taken much higher then there draft media grade. I also would not be excited. But it could be a good time to get Millers replacement. Will Miller come back 100%?
    All that could be true, but my point is we have much more glaring needs than TE AND that it is quite common for later round - or even undrafted - TEs to do very well. Miller was worth taking with a first round, and it was a glaring need; now, TE is not our most glaring need, even IF Heath isn't 100% (which I feel it is likely he will be considering today's success with ACL surgeries). TE just isn't usually the most critical player. We have virtually no viable backs on the entire roster - not starting quality any how. And even though the passing game is much more dominant in today's game, your #1 RB is still crucial. Well, maybe your #1 and #2 are crucial, depending on your approach, but the point is, 40-some % of all of your plays is going to have the RB with his hands on the ball, so you better have some quality there, much more critical than a TE, especially in Pgh's system and philosophy. I am not saying RB should be taken in the first round, just that taking a TE #1, with this team with so many needs seems insane. Imagine if Harrison and Hampton are gone, which is very possible. Are they going to take a TE over those positions?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.
    Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.
    Yep, LB's have issues matching up in pass coverage on TE's, Gronk is a good example of that. I would take it a step further in saying a TE might be more conducive to the type of offense Haley wants to run.