Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: NO ONE has answered this, our OL injuries waiting to happen

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    NO ONE has answered this, our OL injuries waiting to happen

    As I was watching the Super Bowl, and obvious trend played out in front of my two eyes: Both SF and Balt. could run plays and fully expect their OL men to not fall down with an injury every other play. They are able to play football and not suffer injuries all over the OL. As a matter of fact, I believe SF has played EVERY DOWN this year with the exact same OL in tact. EVERY down.

    We have ALL lamented over our OL injuries. but I want to know why; why do our OLmen regularly fall down to injury? What is Pgh doing wrong? I am no longer going to write it off to just bad luck. There must be a reason Pgh has so many injuries. What kind of training do they have these guys doing? Are they over-working them in the weight room, leading to injuries? I have yet to hear what Pgh does specifically in the weight room, which could lead to this. For instance, do they have the fellas lifting free weights, in the power rack (squats, dead lifts) adding further stress to their legs. leading to injuries from over-working the knees, ankles, etc? Some trainers/coaches believe hitting heavy weights during the season, and preseason for that matter, just puts too much stress on the joints, ligaments, etc. and will lead to injuries. Are the Steelers clueless on this front? It is highly possible, as something is being done fricked up to make so many injuries occur.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,567
    You're right. Steelers are just screwed up and not as good as other teams. We should just fire Colbert, Tomlin and the rest of the coaches. Start all over.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You're right. Steelers are just screwed up and not as good as other teams. We should just fire Colbert, Tomlin and the rest of the coaches. Start all over.
    Why are you resorting to a straw man argument, intellectual dishonesty and not addressing the specific subject of the post? Anyone can deal in straw man arguments, as they are the weakest, least intelligent form of discussion. Stick to the subject at hand, or shut your stink hole.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Pittsburgh Steelers investigate 2012 spate of injuries
    By Sian Cowper, Reporter
    Filed: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 15:15 UK
    Last Updated: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 22:24 UK
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have said that they will look into why so many players sustained injuries during the 2012 season.

    Quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich, safety Troy Polamalu and wide receiver Antonio Brown were among the players to miss multiple games with injuries in the regular season.

    Steelers president Art Rooney II told the team's website: "It does happen sort of in cycles, and hopefully we're getting through this cycle. But having said that I don't think we can just sit here and believe we'll come to the end of the cycle.

    "We have to look at everything we're doing, and we will look at everything we're doing, from the training and conditioning side of things, from a practice side of things and see if there are things we can do to get better.

    "Conditioning is something that's always evolving, people are always coming up with new ideas on how to train, and so we'll look at all of that."

    The Steelers missed the playoffs for just the second time in six seasons.

    Now ya have it FO wheel

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...issed-playoffs

    Quote from a person in the article: Some of the o-line injuries may be attributed to Ben holding the ball at times. This probably increases the chance to get rolled up on from the back side.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers investigate 2012 spate of injuries
    By Sian Cowper, Reporter
    Filed: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 15:15 UK
    Last Updated: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 22:24 UK
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have said that they will look into why so many players sustained injuries during the 2012 season.

    Quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich, safety Troy Polamalu and wide receiver Antonio Brown were among the players to miss multiple games with injuries in the regular season.

    Steelers president Art Rooney II told the team's website: "It does happen sort of in cycles, and hopefully we're getting through this cycle. But having said that I don't think we can just sit here and believe we'll come to the end of the cycle.

    "We have to look at everything we're doing, and we will look at everything we're doing, from the training and conditioning side of things, from a practice side of things and see if there are things we can do to get better.

    "Conditioning is something that's always evolving, people are always coming up with new ideas on how to train, and so we'll look at all of that."

    The Steelers missed the playoffs for just the second time in six seasons.

    Now ya have it FO wheel

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...issed-playoffs
    Yes, I saw this article, but thanks. Last time I was in the Steelers' weight room, they were doing pretty antiquated work outs, using pyramid schemes with things like bench pressing, etc. Other teams are using much more modern techniques and I was wondering if Pgh has since gone more modern with their way of working out. If they are still having super overweight OLmen hitting it with heavy squats during the season, there is no wonder why they are experiencing so many injuries.

    Fo wheel. I did find this about our conditioning coach.

    “My training philosophy is to get the midline in shape and then make the circle a little larger and a little larger around the body,” says Garrett Giemont, strength and conditioning coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “When you look at that philosophy and then at Pilates, a trainer can see that it is a great adjunct to what he or she is trying to accomplish from an overall conditioning standpoint.”

    One Buccaneer who has seen a difference is punter Josh Bidwell. Bidwell began doing Pilates mat exercises during the 2004 season and statistically had his best overall season. This year he began working on a reformer. “As a punter I put tremendous pressure on my hamstrings, my lower back and my glutes,” says Bidwell. I'm not the most flexible person but Pilates has defiantly lengthened my muscles and increased my agility. I can really feel it in the way I move.” Bidwell had also been bothered by periodic, painful flare-ups in his lower back. But since he started Pilates that trouble has disappeared. “It is completely gone,” says Bidwell.

    As costs of amateur and professional sports continue escalating, keeping an athlete on the field and off the injured list becomes paramount. Trainers who implement Pilates as a component to their conditioning programs will see increased results in flexibility, durability and strength.

    Says Giemont: “When you take an athlete with a tremendous skill level and then give them the tools of length, strength and balance on a continual basis, it elevates their performance to an entirely new level.”
    http://stottpilates.se/aboutus/artic...nerSecret.html

    He seemed to be barking up the right tree, for 1998, any how. At least he understands the benefits of training the core. That's a good start. But I hope they aren't having the guys lift heavy during the season; if they are, they can start at fixing the injury problem right there. If they are having the OLmen doing power rack stuff during the year, they are really F-ing up right there. They have to know better than that, right?

    Fo wheel

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    What kind of training do they have these guys doing? Are they over-working them in the weight room, leading to injuries? I have yet to hear what Pgh does specifically in the weight room, which could lead to this. For instance, do they have the fellas lifting free weights, in the power rack (squats, dead lifts) adding further stress to their legs. leading to injuries from over-working the knees, ankles, etc? Some trainers/coaches believe hitting heavy weights during the season, and preseason for that matter, just puts too much stress on the joints, ligaments, etc. and will lead to injuries. Are the Steelers clueless on this front? It is highly possible, as something is being done fricked up to make so many injuries occur.
    I have no idea what your qualifications are but I'm pretty sure that the Steelers have a professional training staff.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Last time I was in the Steelers' weight room
    Ha hahahahahahahaha, funniest joke I've heard all day. Thanks for the laugh.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Ha hahahahahahahaha, funniest joke I've heard all day. Thanks for the laugh.
    Give out that huge belly laugh all you want. You'd be embarrassed if you only knew. But live in ignorance. It works for you.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I have no idea what your qualifications are but I'm pretty sure that the Steelers have a professional training staff.
    Assume all you want, but at one time, the guy they had in charge of conditioning was more of a pencil pusher than anyone who knew leading edge work out techniques.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    if you only knew
    Only those with truly nothing to boast about use this line. Insecure much?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •