Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The O-Line ... changes in store

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers incorporated zone blocking concepts back when Duce Staley joined the team because he liked running behind zone blocking....they changed the scheme to fit the player and were successful until he was injured...

They never fully moved away from it...

The run blocking was fine with Zierlein...Willie Parker was leading the league and Mendenhall also had good seasons....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    The only change that needs to take place on the Oline is for it be healthy and stay healthy. We have 4 top picks on the line and every single one of them missed time last year due to injury.
    This^^^

If Gilbert doesn't fall on people and realizes the difference between hurt and injured we should be fine. Better yet..keep him on the sideline.

I actually liked the OL when Pouncey moved to G and Legs was the C.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers talk with Foster’s agent before free agency opens

March 9th, 2013
    Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

Steelers guard Ramon Foster is an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers had contract discussions with Ramon Foster’s agent, Joel Segal, on Thursday and will eventually make the unrestricted free agent offensive lineman an offer once the organization gets a better grasp on their current finances, said a source with knowledge of the meeting.

However, that offer may come too late and significantly under market value in order to retain Foster. Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee have shown interest in the 27-year-old guard. The N.Y. Giants could also be a potential suitor if they can’t re-sign Kevin Boothe.

Because of a new rule, agents are allowed to start formal talks with other teams starting three days before the start of the new NFL calendar year (12:01 a.m. Saturday) which is set for 4 p.m. Tuesday.

No signing can be announced until the opening of free agency if a deal is reached.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Foster has been a regular on the Steelers offensive line since being an undrafted rookie out of Tennessee in 2009.

Foster started 30 consecutive games at guard and 42 of 44 including Super Bowl XLV since being inserted into the lineup for a Week 10 game against the Patriots in 2010.

Foster has been extremely durable at a position that’s been injury prone for the Steelers in recent years. Foster missed only the second half of the season-opener against Denver with a severe headache before playing the final 966 snaps of the year at right guard.

According to ProFootballFocus, Foster allowed only two sacks the entire season – the least of all Steelers starters.

Foster signed a 1-year tender for $1.26 million last year as a restricted free agent after not getting much interest on the open market. He became expendable when the Steelers used a first round draft pick on right guard David DeCastro and decided to move Willie Colon and his recently signed 5-year, $29 million contract to left guard within a month of each other.

However, Foster started all 16 games last year when DeCastro was injured during the preseason.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/09/steelers-talk-with-fosters-agent-before-free-agency-opens/#.UTqsheHnmOc.twitter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

This is where I think everyone fits except Gliby. Could possibly move Adams to LT and Beachum at RT and find a LG. But I don't think Adams is a fit at LT either.

Ultimately this is why I can see the Steelers taking a look at LTs in this draft. Usually you've gotta be in the top 10 if you want a premiere LT and we're not usually this close. And there's a couple of good potential LTs. I think one could fall.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    K.C. and Haley had Jamaal Charles at RB, makes a big difference.
    He also had Thomas Jones who ran very well behind the same line.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so foster allowed only 2 sacks in 16 games playing 2 different positions.

I would say that's outstanding value for a 1.27 million dollar investment. Just a shame some here won't give this kid some credit. I hoe he goes elsewhere so the "experts" can find someone else to blame when the offense stinks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    so foster allowed only 2 sacks in 16 games playing 2 different positions.

I would say that's outstanding value for a 1.27 million dollar investment. Just a shame some here won't give this kid some credit. I hoe he goes elsewhere so the "experts" can find someone else to blame when the offense stinks.
    I hope he stays. The way we lose O-linemen to injury, we'd better have a lot of bodies who can play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could any of these guys surprise us?

72 Cheadle, Justin OG 6-2 290 23 R California
    71 Long, Joe T 6-5 304 23 R Wayne State (MI)
    62 Malecki, John OG 6-2 298 24 1 Pittsburgh
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Could any of these guys surprise us?

72 Cheadle, Justin OG 6-2 290 23 R California
    71 Long, Joe T 6-5 304 23 R Wayne State (MI)
    62 Malecki, John OG 6-2 298 24 1 Pittsburgh
    Possibly, but with no snaps or not enough of them we'll never know. When camp breaks that will be the time for these guys to show the coaches what they can do in combination of the pre-season. Sometimes you could have a diamond in the rough sitting on the bench...play em and lets see.

If it wasn't for the injuries Beachum might not of had a chance to show what he can do, now he at least showed he could compete for a starting role and worse be a decent backup
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This^^^

If Gilbert doesn't fall on people and realizes the difference between hurt and injured we should be fine. Better yet..keep him on the sideline.

I actually liked the OL when Pouncey moved to G and Legs was the C.
    If they would start hitting free weights, instead of just using wussy machines, they would fair much better on the injury front.