Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: good Timmons article.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Lawrence Timmons is nowhere near Aldon Smith.

His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out. An elite player who can lead a unit steps up to fill the vacuum; Timmons disappeared. He's a very good complimentary player, but not a centerpiece.
    I think that Aldon Smith's 19 sack season just happened to coincide with him being on the field at the same time as Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman and Justin Smith...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think that Aldon Smith's 19 sack season just happened to coincide with him being on the field at the same time as Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman and Justin Smith...
    Would you trade Timmons for Smith (even ignoring Timmons' contract)? I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lawrence Timmons is nowhere near Aldon Smith.

His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out. An elite player who can lead a unit steps up to fill the vacuum; Timmons disappeared. He's a very good complimentary player, but not a centerpiece.
    So you are saying that Aldon Smith's success is just a by product of the talented players who have to be on the field with him?

Since Timmons has nowhere near the talent around him helping him that Smith has why do you hold Timmons to a different standard?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Would you trade Timmons for Smith (even ignoring Timmons' contract)? I would make that trade in a heartbeat.
    Meh. Smith disappeared when all of those other guys were on the field with him...

I'd have to think about it...the grass isn't always greener...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well yeah, pass rushers are more valuable than MLB'ers.

That wasn't the point. The point was anyone can take a slice of a players season and it would appear they are struggling.

Timmons season as a whole was great and he was a big part of the reason for some of our wins.

Unlike Woodley, we seem to be getting the most out of our contract with him.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

99% of the people who don't like Timmons will NEVER like him because they didn't think he deserved to be a first rounder...

Legend

User Info Menu

Kind of funny to compare the numbers between an "underachiever" like Timmons, and the guy who most consider to be the most complete ILB in the league right now, Patrick Willis:

Tackles - Willis 120, Timmons 106
    Sacks - Willis .5, Timmons 6
    FF - Willis 2, Timmons 2
    INTs - Willis 2, Timmons 3

Now, we can argue both sides all night long as to what these numbers mean and the impact of their teammates.......Willis has fewer sacks because he doesn't get asked to blitz as much becuse they already have a pass rush. Timmons has to do more because he is lined up beside Larry Foote, not Navarro Bowman etc.

Point is, you can't argue the similarities in the numbers with the lone exception being Timmons' sack total. I have watched them both and while Willis is a machine, I don't see as huge a gap between him and Timmons as some here make it out to be. And, coincidentally, these two guys were drafted 4 picks apart in the 2007 draft.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Kind of funny to compare the numbers between an "underachiever" like Timmons, and the guy who most consider to be the most complete ILB in the league right now, Patrick Willis:

FF - Willis 2, Timmons 2

Now, we can argue both sides all night long as to what these numbers mean and the impact of their teammates.......Willis has fewer sacks because he doesn't get asked to blitz as much becuse they already have a pass rush. Timmons has to do more because he is lined up beside Larry Foote, not Navarro Bowman etc.

Point is, you can't argue the similarities in the numbers with the lone exception being Timmons' sack total. I have watched them both and while Willis is a machine, I don't see as huge a gap between him and Timmons as some here make it out to be. And, coincidentally, these two guys were drafted 4 picks apart in the 2007 draft.
    I think Willis is slowing down and is not nearly as dynamic as in the past.

What's interesting is when you compare Timmons to Bowman. He has 20 less solo tackles, but wins just about every other stat battle.

We sell Timmons short. The guy is simply a freakin beast.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

FF - Willis 2, Timmons 2

USA Today today had Timmons on the "All Joe Team" as one of the most underrated players in the NFL. For the first time in a decade he was the one defensive player to lead the team in Tackles (134), Sacks (6) and INTs (3). But of course he is lacking.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I want posluzney!!!