Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: good Timmons article.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Timmons has played very good for a OLB at ILB. Now I have no idea what it takes to convert. But it can not be easy. Also he has played next to 2 guys on the downside of there career. Both have played very well but it has to effect Timmons some how. Some of the impact I am sure has been good to learn the position from Farrior and Foote. Put a good young player next and infront of him then see if he can be as good as some fans want him to be. I think he is already a very good ILB.

Backup

User Info Menu

Farrior was great so was James Harrison. Woodley had a couple of great seasons and now is less than Timmons when it comes to production. Jason Gildon I thought stunk despite his sack record. Sorry that I may have offended some with saying Timmons isn't worth his draft selection or paycheck, it's just how I view him. I wonder if I'm correct with my opinions of the others that I have mentioned ?
    We could change the subject and turn this all upon Ziggy Hood. He 's the biggest disappointment in a very long time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons is the best LB Steelers have right now. He is good in coverage and he can rush the passer. Woodley is fat and i hope Steelers don't restructure Woodley this season. Lets see if he comes to play this season. If not cut him.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As far as Ziggy or Timmons what do you guys expect? Give me a players name? Not an old Steeler. Someone playing today to compare for both players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    As far as Ziggy or Timmons what do you guys expect? Give me a players name? Not an old Steeler. Someone playing today to compare for both players.
    It seems the problem is people have set the bar unrealistically high for Timmons. They expect Timmons to run through Olinemen, have 10 sacks, 5 INT's, and make every play imaginable. Timmons does it "all" well. He does things that won't show up on stat sheets. The ability to do it "all" probably hurts him in the minds of some fans. As a result, he gets labeled a jack of all trades but a master of none. From a defensive stand point, I believe the coaches are very happy with the flexibility that Timmons offers. Some people are never going to give Timmons any respect.

Maybe if Timmons had a big mouth and was more flashy on and off the field he would get more credit for his play?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not for me, I never cared for Joey Porter and his mouth.. I thought he was over hyped as well. Maybe not over hyped but for all the talking he did, I thougt he should have been more of a phenomenon because he sure thought he was. Joey did a lot of barking in his day and I don't care for anyone that beats their chest. . I was thrilled that he was a Steeler in the Steelers/Colts playoff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    The Eagles game was the fourth game of the season. So I think he started a little slow before that but it didn't take too long. The people who don't like Timmons are amazingly difficult to please. If you don't think he was too good last year, then there really is no way to satisfy you. He is well above an average player, Great maybe not (that's someone's own opinion, just like elite). I'll take a season like 2012 every year. He won't make that hall of fame, if that is your standard but is well worth the No. 1, Tomlin and Colbert laid on him.
    Here are his numbers from the first three games:

11 solo tackles; 1 assist; 1 pass defensed. No sacks.
    Rounding up, that projects to 59 solo tackles, 5+ assists, and 5 passes defensed. Those are awful numbers for an ILB.

Oh, and the Steelers went 1-2 in those games.

Timmons had a very good conclusion to the season but he did not start producing until after James Harrison returned.

Timmons is a good complimentary player but he is not somebody who can be the centerpiece of the defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Here are his numbers from the first three games:

11 solo tackles; 1 assist; 1 pass defensed. No sacks.
    Rounding up, that projects to 59 solo tackles, 5+ assists, and 5 passes defensed. Those are awful numbers for an ILB.

Oh, and the Steelers went 1-2 in those games.

Timmons had a very good conclusion to the season but he did not start producing until after James Harrison returned.

Timmons is a good complimentary player but he is not somebody who can be the centerpiece of the defense.
    13 games is a "conclusion to the season"? I would call the biggest part of the season. Anyone can isolate a player during the season who is having a sub par stretch.

How about Aldon Smith? Take a look at this last 3 or 4 games. Pretty sub par production. Oh he had a 19 sack season.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    13 games is a "conclusion to the season"? I would call the biggest part of the season. Anyone can isolate a player during the season who is having a sub par stretch.

How about Aldon Smith? Take a look at this last 3 or 4 games. Pretty sub par production. Oh he had a 19 sack season.
    Lawrence Timmons is nowhere near Aldon Smith.

His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out. An elite player who can lead a unit steps up to fill the vacuum; Timmons disappeared. He's a very good complimentary player, but not a centerpiece.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Lawrence Timmons is nowhere near Aldon Smith.

His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out. An elite player who can lead a unit steps up to fill the vacuum; Timmons disappeared. He's a very good complimentary player, but not a centerpiece.
    Good thing it is a team game. Timmons may not be at the game changing level of a JH or TP. But he can get better and be a game changer I think. His health still concerns me. But his play on the field is fine. Just need a few more splash plays.