Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: good Timmons article.

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Its much easier to isolate or avoid "the star" when 2 other stars are out.
    And truly elite players overcome that.

  2. #52
    oakland sure didn't avoid timmons when they needed a crucial 3rd down to ice that win against us.

    they went right at him.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You can take a slice of the season to try and prove your point. It's just false and poor statistical reasoning. Too many uncontrolled variables. It is pure speculation and confirmation bias.

    Timmons was the best and most consistent defender all season along with Clark.

    Haters gonna hate no matter what he does.

    He impacted plenty of games this year and some will never get over him being selected 15th. Without Timmons, this defense would have completely collapsed this year.

    He is an integral part on that side of the ball.
    If you want to make the argument that it is too small of a sample size, that's fine and I get that.

    But those three games were the best opportunity that we had to see what the D would look like with Timmons as the focal point. And during those games, he produced very little.

    Do you really want to argue that Timmons played like a $10 million ILB to start the season?

  4. #54
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Do you really want to argue that Timmons played like a $10 million ILB to start the season?
    The only player to make plays on our defense this year and you want to argue with his contract? And you want to base it on a three game stretch at the beginning of the season? And not his overall body of work, which is growing.

    His impact and play are comparable to the best MLB'ers in the game. His contract is also comparable to the best in the game.

    He played as well as Navarro Bowman this year and Bowman received more guaranteed money on his deal. In case you didn't notice, Bowman had a pretty terrible Super Bowl. I'll take some sub par play at the beginning of the season rather than at the end of the season.

    Your stuck on the first three games of the season because it is the only thread of an argument you can hang your hat on.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If you want to make the argument that it is too small of a sample size, that's fine and I get that.

    But those three games were the best opportunity that we had to see what the D would look like with Timmons as the focal point.
    The first game last year where we saw what the D would look like with Timmons as the focal point was the Philadelphia game...

  6. #56
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    And truly elite players overcome that.
    who said he was truly elite? LOL... why stop at truly... how about super duper truly elite players overcome death to stop 3rd and 8's.

  7. #57
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    The only player to make plays on our defense this year and you want to argue with his contract? And you want to base it on a three game stretch at the beginning of the season? And not his overall body of work, which is growing.

    His impact and play are comparable to the best MLB'ers in the game. His contract is also comparable to the best in the game.

    He played as well as Navarro Bowman this year and Bowman received more guaranteed money on his deal. In case you didn't notice, Bowman had a pretty terrible Super Bowl. I'll take some sub par play at the beginning of the season rather than at the end of the season.

    Your stuck on the first three games of the season because it is the only thread of an argument you can hang your hat on.
    If we took away FWP's long runs...

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The first game last year where we saw what the D would look like with Timmons as the focal point was the Philadelphia game...
    Also the first game that James Harrison was in the lineup...

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    The only player to make plays on our defense this year and you want to argue with his contract? And you want to base it on a three game stretch at the beginning of the season? And not his overall body of work, which is growing.

    His impact and play are comparable to the best MLB'ers in the game. His contract is also comparable to the best in the game.

    He played as well as Navarro Bowman this year and Bowman received more guaranteed money on his deal. In case you didn't notice, Bowman had a pretty terrible Super Bowl. I'll take some sub par play at the beginning of the season rather than at the end of the season.

    Your stuck on the first three games of the season because it is the only thread of an argument you can hang your hat on.
    His overall body of work? He was a good complimentary player this year when James Harrison was in the lineup. Last year, his play left a lot to be desired. He spent some time at OLB, but was mostly asked to rush the passer and produced very little.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    His overall body of work? He was a good complimentary player this year when James Harrison was in the lineup. Last year, his play left a lot to be desired. He spent some time at OLB, but was mostly asked to rush the passer and produced very little.
    This is pretty ridiculous. If you can't see that Timmons was the best defensive player on the team this past season and far and away the Steelers best linebacker, then you have blinders on.

    Lets ask Bouchette. Here he is talking about the underwhelming performances of some Steelers lb's is season:

    "First, Lawrence Timmons must be excused from that discussion. Timmons had the best season of his six-year career, was the unofficial MVP of the defense and should have made his first Pro Bowl.
    Playing the mack inside linebacker with more roaming duties, Timmons was dominant. He led the Steelers with 134 tackles, 20 more than buck inside linebacker Larry Foote, who was second (according to the coaches count). Timmons tied for the team lead with six sacks, led with three interceptions, had 19 quarterback pressures, forced two fumbles and recovered one.


    Timmons was everything the Steelers asked him to be when they drafted him No. 1 in 2007. He's only 26 and he's under contract for the next four years."




    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2LAbujDZj

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •