Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: good Timmons article.

Backup

User Info Menu

How many seasons did it take for Timmons to be noticed and still did not make the pro bowl ? Making the pro bwl is nice but it doesn't always tell the truth about a player. A player could have one gret season maybe two or one great backed up with some nice seasons and he rides that reputation to the pro bowl for years to come.
    I always thought Carnell Lake in the day deserved more pro bowl selections and Levon Kirkland too. Those two guys were way better than Timmons. Some people can't understand the hate fest towards Timmos and I can't understand the love fest for him. The guy at best is a utility player. Doesn't do anything extremely well but, hides himself well enough for some not to notice he is an over paid second stringer.
    Congradulatios, all you with the rose colored glasses can be proud he had three or four good plays last season. It only took a number one pick, two big dollar contracts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    How many seasons did it take for Timmons to be noticed and still did not make the pro bowl ? Making the pro bwl is nice but it doesn't always tell the truth about a player. A player could have one gret season maybe two or one great backed up with some nice seasons and he rides that reputation to the pro bowl for years to come.
    I always thought Carnell Lake in the day deserved more pro bowl selections and Levon Kirkland too. Those two guys were way better than Timmons. Some people can't understand the hate fest towards Timmos and I can't understand the love fest for him. The guy at best is a utility player. Doesn't do anything extremely well but, hides himself well enough for some not to notice he is an over paid second stringer.
    Congradulatios, all you with the rose colored glasses can be proud he had three or four good plays last season. It only took a number one pick, two big dollar contracts.

Ouch ! that's to the point. I'm not a fan of Timmons either. I guess he does his job and all that but I feel the time the Steelers have placed in him, the money they have spent on him, he wasn't worth it. I think someone else at a lower draft pick and a lower wage could do as well as Timmons. I guess I don't have a problem with Timmons at all, it's the coaches and Colbert I have the problem with. I do believe Tomlin will continue to cherish Timmons because he's his first number one draft pick as the Steelers head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons and Clark were easily the two best players on the D last season. I don't know what some of you were watching but he made a lot of plays, and there were games in which he was downright dominant.

If you look at the course of his career recently, he played well in 2009, better in '10, and fell off the planet in '11. He played a lot of that season shuffling around, and his play reflected that. This is not an excuse, but it is a reality that he is an ILB, not an OLB. We can expect that his poor 2011 season should not predict his future play if he stays at ILB.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The point of the article is that, by their metrics, only one linebacker had a season as good as Lawrence Timmons in 2012...

Now, you can feel free to dislike Timmons all you want, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player...who has had several good seasons and, last year, a great season...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The point of the article is that, by their metrics, only one linebacker had a season as good as Lawrence Timmons in 2012...

Now, you can feel free to dislike Timmons all you want, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player...who has had several good seasons and, last year, a great season...
    ... starting after James Harrison returned.

Timmons was invisible early in the season. His first really good game was against the Eagles (though his late hit against Sanchez was big in the Jets game).

A great player, an elite talent, should be able to carry the defense. Timmons has not been that guy yet.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I disagree.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree.
    Wholeheartedly disagree too. Timmons was the only pass rush we had early in the season. He was being asked to do more than anyone on that defense given that Harrison, Troy and Woodley were missing in action.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons was invisible early in the season. His first really good game was against the Eagles (though his late hit against Sanchez was big in the Jets game).

A great player, an elite talent, should be able to carry the defense. Timmons has not been that guy yet.
    I agree Phillyesq. I also don't beleive he has been worth a number one draft selection or the big paychecks that he receives. He's an average player that ever so often brings attention to himself with a good play or two and then all the fans gush over him and make him out to be something more than he is.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I agree Phillyesq. I also don't beleive he has been worth a number one draft selection or the big paychecks that he receives. He's an average player that ever so often brings attention to himself with a good play or two and then all the fans gush over him and make him out to be something more than he is.
    In this case, it's Bleacher Report who "gushed over him"...because he played really well last season...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Eagles game was the fourth game of the season. So I think he started a little slow before that but it didn't take too long. The people who don't like Timmons are amazingly difficult to please. If you don't think he was too good last year, then there really is no way to satisfy you. He is well above an average player, Great maybe not (that's someone's own opinion, just like elite). I'll take a season like 2012 every year. He won't make that hall of fame, if that is your standard but is well worth the No. 1, Tomlin and Colbert laid on him.