Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I will refuse to get giddy.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I will refuse to get giddy.....

....from this year's draft, as I did last year. I really thought they had a kick butt draft, but as we saw, we got almost zero help from last year's draft.

However, that being said.....

2012 draft could still end up amazing.

1. DeCastro - Could still be the perennial pro bowler he was believe to be. Why not?

2. Adams - Could still be an above average LT for the next decade.

3. Spense - If he recovers from knee injury, could still be a special player. He has all the intangibles and instincts and love to hit.

4. T'amu - We don't know. Was supposed to have all the tools needed to dominate at NT.

5. Rainey - Looked like he could have been a nice piece; perhaps they were too quick to dump him, the bigger charges on him were dropped to simple assault or something minor.

Plus Paulson could be decent.

I won't assume we hit the jackpot like I did after last year's draft, but I am not ready to give up on 2012 picks either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    ....from this year's draft, as I did last year. I really thought they had a kick butt draft, but as we saw, we got almost zero help from last year's draft.

1. DeCastro - Could still be the perennial pro bowler he was believe to be. Why not?

3. Spense - If he recovers from knee injury, could still be a special player. He has all the intangibles and instincts and love to hit.

4. T'amu - We don't know. Was supposed to have all the tools needed to dominate at NT.

5. Rainey - Looked like he could have been a nice piece; perhaps they were too quick to dump him, the bigger charges on him were dropped to simple assault or something minor.

I won't assume we hit the jackpot like I did after last year's draft, but I am not ready to give up on 2012 picks either.
    The only one that can be given up on is Rainey; the others (except Paulson and T'amu) missed either the entire year or major portions of it. I'm still excited about this group and believe they will be Steeler mainstays for many years.

Even if they played it would take 3 years to fully evaluate the draft.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why refuse to get giddy? Do you want to deprive yourself of happiness. Last year's draft WAS a good one. But, picks got hurt or screwed up in their personal lives. It happens. If you like this year's draft haul, then you should celebrate.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was absolutely ecstactic after last years draft..........then the injuries hit. What can you do as a fan.. sing the blues i guess. All I seem to see is that the Ravens hire better coaches in the off season and have better drafts or more production from their classes. Andy Heck was available as Off. line coach (MJD led league in rushing 2011) and we get Bicknell Jr. Heck hired by the Chiefs in some sort of irony. Caldwell for the Ravens makes Flaccid look like a star. Time will tell on that one. Danny Smith seems like a ho hum hire while Jacoby Jones is returning kicks in the super bowl. Sometimes it feels like we're a step behind the Ravens in the general management decisions imo. Don't know if I'm just pissed in general or spoiled.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I will refused to be giddy if another highly touted, can't miss, draft prospect miraculously falls in our lap for some unforeseen reason, (i.e.) Mendenhall, Sweed, Decastro... I know the jury is still out on Decastro, however from the reviews I have read, his play was less than underwhelming.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    I will refused to be giddy if another highly touted, can't miss, draft prospect miraculously falls in our lap for some unforeseen reason, (i.e.) Mendenhall, Sweed, Decastro... I know the jury is still out on Decastro, however from the reviews I have read, his play was less than underwhelming.
    That's the same way I feel. Let's not forget most of us thought 2011 first 3 picks were good in Heyward, Gilbert and Brown. None of those guys have done much of anything. I am still hoping Heyward and Gilbert pan out, but Browns just stinks. All you have to do with him in the game is do a double move and go deep and that dude is toast.

I have to be honest, the supposed awesome-drafting Steelers haven't done all that great since Tomlin.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3900&type=team[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's the same way I feel. Let's not forget most of us thought 2011 first 3 picks were good in Heyward, Gilbert and Brown. None of those guys have done much of anything. I am still hoping Heyward and Gilbert pan out, but Browns just stinks. All you have to do with him in the game is do a double move and go deep and that dude is toast.

I have to be honest, the supposed awesome-drafting Steelers haven't done all that great since Tomlin.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3900&type=team[/URL]

The draft used to be our bread n' butter, blueprint for building a team. I think it's safe to say it ain't happening that way for us anymore. With the lack of success we've had I am honestly starting to believe Colbert and Co. are relying on Kiper and Mcshay to evaluate talent... The draft is such a crap shoot anyways. It's time to start delving back into the FA pool. Like the ravens do. Yeah! I said it. Their FA acquisitions of Pollard, Leach and Jones is what put them over the top. And don't forget, they got Boldin for 4th and 5th round picks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With a healthy Ben & O-line just add a feature madman back then......[url]http://youtu.be/GhiKuXWYo9c[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Why refuse to get giddy? Do you want to deprive yourself of happiness. Last year's draft WAS a good one. But, picks got hurt or screwed up in their personal lives. It happens. If you like this year's draft haul, then you should celebrate.
    It's called "managing expectations" and it's not a bad thing to do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    The only can't-miss draft prospect of the three you listed is DeCastro. It's a bit revisionist to say either of the other two were can't miss. Sweed was highly touted going into his last year in college. By time draft rolled around, the people in the know didn't consider him first-round material at all (liken it to that Alshon Jeffery kid this last year). As for Mendenhall, he is/was a good RB prospect, no less-no more. It's not as if Trent Richardson or someone fell to us at 23 or whatever it was (NO ONE had Mendenhall in Top 10, for example). Mendenhall is a Running Back. A Running Back in this day/age, has the potential to fall down farther than one might think. If you think of it in that way, he was picked right around where he should've been.

However with DeCastro, he is can't miss. I liken this pick to picks like Polamalu, Heath Miller, or Hampton. Guys who played undervalued positions at the time, and slid as a result. Barring injuries (which as far as I can remember, he was a very durable college player), he will be a rock for us for ten years (I'm knocking on wood as I type).