Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: I will refuse to get giddy.....

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The only can't-miss draft prospect of the three you listed is DeCastro. It's a bit revisionist to say either of the other two were can't miss. Sweed was highly touted going into his last year in college. By time draft rolled around, the people in the know didn't consider him first-round material at all (liken it to that Alshon Jeffery kid this last year). As for Mendenhall, he is/was a good RB prospect, no less-no more. It's not as if Trent Richardson or someone fell to us at 23 or whatever it was (NO ONE had Mendenhall in Top 10, for example). Mendenhall is a Running Back. A Running Back in this day/age, has the potential to fall down farther than one might think. If you think of it in that way, he was picked right around where he should've been.

    However with DeCastro, he is can't miss. I liken this pick to picks like Polamalu, Heath Miller, or Hampton. Guys who played undervalued positions at the time, and slid as a result. Barring injuries (which as far as I can remember, he was a very durable college player), he will be a rock for us for ten years (I'm knocking on wood as I type).
    Honestly, I'd prefer we would have draft Chris Johnson, Duane Brown, Forte, Ray Rice, Brandon Flowers, Jordy Nelson, Curtis Loften or Tracy Porter - all of whom were taken after our Spindenhall pick. As far as missing on a high RB pick, Pgh has done a lot of that, from Greg Hawthorn to Walter Abercrombie to Tim Worly to Bong Morris to now this bust.

    As far as DeCastro being can't miss, he hasn't really shown all that much even when he was healthy. I pray that changes, but for now, he hasn't shown any superior play.

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,864
    If the Steelers can't draft HOFer's on every pick, they might as well just quit and join the Canadian League. Holy cow.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    If the Steelers can't draft HOFer's on every pick, they might as well just quit and join the Canadian League. Holy cow.
    Straw man argument. No one ever asserted anything of the sort. Are we to be blind to the fact that they drafted players like the 2008 draft class? Entire class = worthless

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Straw man argument. No one ever asserted anything of the sort. Are we to be blind to the fact that they drafted players like the 2008 draft class? Entire class = worthless
    Don't confuse sarcasm with me wasting my time arguing anything in this thread. Yes I checked, sarcasm is allowed here.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Don't confuse sarcasm with me wasting my time arguing anything in this thread. Yes I checked, sarcasm is allowed here.
    But your sarcasm was misguided. Not against board rules, but missing the mark, all the same.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    But your sarcasm was misguided. Not against board rules, but missing the mark, all the same.
    Actually, his sarcasm was spot on...

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,342
    good to know that writing a sentence, especially one not quoting anyone else or responding directly to someone or something, can now be considered a strawman argument and will not be well received around these parts. I'll be sure to make a note of that.

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    Do people actually get 'giddy' as a result of the draft? That seems an over reaction.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Do people actually get 'giddy' as a result of the draft? That seems an over reaction.
    Probably the same types of people who lie awake all night on Christmas Eve waiting on Santa to arrive Chadman. Teehee! Teehee! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Actually, his sarcasm was spot on...
    At last! Someone who GETS me! LMAO.....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •