Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR Coach Scott Montgomery Leaving

Rookie

User Info Menu

lets hope Mike does not hire another crony. I not sure Ward is the ansewer as Wr coach but they need a coach who the young recievers can learn from.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    lets hope Mike does not hire another crony. I not sure Ward is the ansewer as Wr coach but they need a coach who the young recievers can learn from.
    What "crony" has Tomlin hired? Haley? No. LeBeau? Given to him. Carnell Lake? No. Bicknell? No.

Guess I don't see the cronies you do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What "crony" has Tomlin hired? Haley? No. LeBeau? Given to him. Carnell Lake? No. Bicknell? No.

Guess I don't see the cronies you do.
    Amos Jones
    Kirby Wilson
    Garrett Giemont

^^^^ Tomlin cronies
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Amos Jones
    Kirby Wilson
    Garrett Giemont

^^^^ Tomlin cronies
    If that's the case, then every head coach in the NFL hires "cronies", if the only qualification is that they previously worked together...

Rob Chudzinski hired Norv Turner = crony

John Harbaugh hired Juan Castillo = crony

Jim Harbaugh hired Greg Roman and Vic Fangio = cronies

The list goes on and on...

Legend

User Info Menu

Swanny and Stallworth might be too old, but wonder if Lipps or Thigpen would be interested in coaching?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Swanny and Stallworth might be too old, but wonder if Lipps or Thigpen would be interested in coaching?
    If you were going to look for a former player to be a coach, I would try to find somebody who got the job done without great physical tools, and instead somebody who outperformed their measurables. An offensive equivalent of Deshea Townsend.

The nostalgia of the old stars is great, and they certainly have some gravitas, but it is rare that you have a really good play become a really good coach. I think Carnell Lake is more the exception than the rule.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If you were going to look for a former player to be a coach, I would try to find somebody who got the job done without great physical tools, and instead somebody who outperformed their measurables. An offensive equivalent of Deshea Townsend.

The nostalgia of the old stars is great, and they certainly have some gravitas, but it is rare that you have a really good play become a really good coach. I think Carnell Lake is more the exception than the rule.
    I agree. There are more Cowhers, Grudens and Jeff Fishers in the NFL than there are Jim Harbaughs...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If that's the case, then every head coach in the NFL hires "cronies", if the only qualification is that they previously worked together...

Rob Chudzinski hired Norv Turner = crony

John Harbaugh hired Juan Castillo = crony

Jim Harbaugh hired Greg Roman and Vic Fangio = cronies

The list goes on and on...

Exactly. Every coach in the league hires people they know but when Tomlin does it somehow it becomes insidious.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree. There are more Cowhers, Grudens and Jeff Fishers in the NFL than there are Jim Harbaughs...
    129 TDs
    117 INTs
    77.6 Career QBR

I hope that this is not the measuring stick for a "really good" player

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Amos Jones
    Kirby Wilson
    Garrett Giemont

^^^^ Tomlin cronies
    So two out of the 10 coaches (20%) on the staff (Jones is gone) have a previous relationship with Tomlin and that is rabid cronyism. None are in key positions like being a coordinator but somehow Tomlin has got it wrong? Wow!