Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR Coach Scott Montgomery Leaving

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Was not aware of that Mr. Spaghetti.....
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I'm torn on this notion....is becoming the HC at UTEP a big promotion from being an OL coach? If you become a HC in college, isn't that just about the pinnacle of a college coaches career, where if you have your foot in the door in the NFL you can become more.

Same with becoming the OC of Duke Football? Pardon me but Duke isn't a real hotbed for football and WR coaches can get bumped up to OC in the NFL.

Maybe I'm mistaken. I know a guy whose kid played for North Allegheny where Kuglers son played, and he said that Kugler really disliked Haley and that is why he jumped at the chance to leave. He said/ he said...I know....but just what I was told. But I guess I can understand Kugler taking off for a HC gig at his alma mater.....but Montgomery going to Duke doesn't seem like a real big promotion.
    Here's the thing, if you want to be a head coach in the NFL and get the chance to manage the offense, defense and special teams (the way a head coach would do) then taking a head coaching job, even at a school not known for football gives you that experience. An NFL team looking to make a change and gives him an interview he can use experience running an entire football team as a positive and the negative is that he didn't do it in the NFL. In the case where you leave the NFL for a head coaching job, you do have NFL experience, just not as a head coach.

On the other hand, a coordinator can't say he's managed the entire team, only 1/3 of the team, either Special teams, offense or defense, so, if you're the owner of an NFL team, who do you hire? The guy with head coaching experience or the guy with NFL experience. I don't know, but I don't think its a detriment to leave the NFL to be a college head coach if you aspire to coach in the NFL at the head coaching position.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL coaching jobs are strictly business. Assistants tend to coach at one place for a couple of years, then move on to a new place for a couple of years, and so on. Rarely does a coach develop a "love" for a particular NFL team or NFL city, since those jobs tend to be so temporary...you are merely a hired gun.

However, a guy's alma mater will always be his alma mater. There will always be a meaningful relationship with one's alma mater no matter what. Even if it's not the pinnacle of the profession, you can make a comfortable salary while "going home" and being happy. It's hard to put a dollar value on something like that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's hard to put a dollar value on something like that.
    Very true....
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Could be Haley getting the coaches he wants versus what he inherited. It is not uncommon for a coach to get other coaches or share his philosophy. Not sure why so many here feel fresh blood and new perspectives are a bad thing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    NFL coaching jobs are strictly business. Assistants tend to coach at one place for a couple of years, then move on to a new place for a couple of years, and so on. Rarely does a coach develop a "love" for a particular NFL team or NFL city, since those jobs tend to be so temporary...you are merely a hired gun.

However, a guy's alma mater will always be his alma mater. There will always be a meaningful relationship with one's alma mater no matter what. Even if it's not the pinnacle of the profession, you can make a comfortable salary while "going home" and being happy. It's hard to put a dollar value on something like that.
    Keep in mind that the "grind" of the NFL isn't that great a life for coaches. The college ranks many times offer more security and "quality of life."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

It isn't like Montgomery left for a high school job or something...he is going to work at his alma mater, which happens to be in a BCS conference, and assuming duties with a greater level of responsibility...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wexell is speculating (pure speculation) that Montgomery was told he should take the job because he wasn't going to be retained.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is great news to me!! I thought the WRs underperformed this year (as most of us did) and with that talent that is unacceptable. Ward is gone and the WR corp goes in the downslide...correlation or reaction?? I don't know, I love the shake-up. Doesn't seem like the coaches presence was there. Something needs to light a fire under those guys. I am genuinely ecstatic right now, I am looking forward to someone who can develope the WRs better. A great FO move that never was imo.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

The coaching tree plays a big part in who stays and who goes... if this coach was mentored by BA he probably knew his days were numbered. I have a friend who has a brother who is a coach. He bounced around from Youngstown St. to Stanford, Maryland and ended up on the Ravens. When Harbaugh was hired he was also let go when the OC or DC was fired. He was really close to getting a promotion before the caoching chqnge.

He's a HS head coach now and he loves it. Most of these coaches have a desire to lead or be in the drivers seat. Its also grindijg oj the family and my friend told me his wife is much happier now that they have some stability and the kids arent starting over every 3 years at a new school.