Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: The Pittsburgh Steelers will not lose one player...

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree. Lewis should be our primary target, even if we have to sacrifice a veteran Steeler mainstay to make it happen. I highly doubt that the team will just let a talented young guy just walk out the door like that.
    I agree. I think Lewis stays unless somebody offers him an obscene contract.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Like Mike Wallace?
    When a player half azzes a season after turning down 10 million a year, it's fair to say the Steelers won't be so eager to sign that young talent.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    The Steelers are currently about 14.2 million over the cap as we sit right now. I don't see James Harrison returning which will save the team 5.1 million. If Willie Colon is cut it will save the team 1.2 million. That's 6.3 million into that cap. The team will probably also rework deals for Ben, Antonio, Lamarr, and LT which will save anywhere between 18-22 million. That gives the team approximately 10 million to spend. If a contract is structured right for Keenan the team should be able to resign him and also possibly Legursky and Warren, while also being able to bring in a free agent TE to hold the position until Heath is healthy. I would say a fair contract for Lewis should be somewhere between 6-8 annually for 5 seasons. Khan is a master at getting this team in a position to work within the cap space. They will lose players like Foster and Starks which I'm sure they would rather not but it will just not work within the confines of the cap. Losing players like Wallace, Mendenhall, Hampton was all anticipated by the team. I agree for the most part that the team will not lose most players they want to keep but they will lose some. Saying all that they will be fine. This team is built through the draft and I would expect an OLB, WR, RB, and S to be addressed early in April.
    It may have already been addressed, but you are not factoring in for the rookies that will be drafted. You have to have about 3-5 million in room on your cap to do this.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,490
    I believe past is past. The Steelers will lose people they wanted back. They may even cut a few they would have liked back for 2013. They just lose the "insurance" policy and put their faith in the young guys behind them. Really though...It isn't a big deal. It has to happen now or sometime soon.



  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I believe past is past. The Steelers will lose people they wanted back. They may even cut a few they would have liked back for 2013.
    I disagree...

    I think the OP's point is that there is a difference between "wanting" a player back and a player they "would like to have"...

    The latter is a luxury...the former is a necessity...

    If the Steelers decide that they really want a player, they will work it out...

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree...

    If the Steelers decide that they really want a player, they will work it out...
    This can be a mistake as well. We shouldn't act like the Steelers are perfect because we are fans.

    But neither should we act like the Steelers are dolts because we are fans.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree...

    I think the OP's point is that there is a difference between "wanting" a player back and a player they "would like to have"...

    The latter is a luxury...the former is a necessity...

    If the Steelers decide that they really want a player, they will work it out...
    With that kind of rationale, couldn't the same be said of just about every team?

    There are some players that the Steelers want to keep that they will not be able to keep because of salary cap constraints. But they're not going to sit there crying in their beer because they can't get it done...You're not going to hear them saying, "Dang, we couldn't get the guy we wanted, the sky is falling." Instead, they'll get to work and will find other, more affordable players to fill the roster slots. Hopefully, that will yield positive results on the field.

  8. #18
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,297
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    With that kind of rationale, couldn't the same be said of just about every team?

    There are some players that the Steelers want to keep that they will not be able to keep because of salary cap constraints. But they're not going to sit there crying in their beer because they can't get it done...You're not going to hear them saying, "Dang, we couldn't get the guy we wanted, the sky is falling." Instead, they'll get to work and will find other, more affordable players to fill the roster slots. Hopefully, that will yield positive results on the field.
    I agree with BHD here we go...

    Mike Wallace or drafted rookie
    Rashard Mendenhall or Dwyer, Redmond or rookie
    James Harrison or Jason Worilds
    Troy Polamalu or Robert Golden
    Ike Taylor or Lewis (this is probably the only one where the existing option is okay - Lewis)
    Kiesel or Heyward/Hood (Kiesel outplayed them both last year)

    The Steelers will be releaseing/cutting players because of their salary and the cap situation. I have to believe they want to keep these guys, but the cap situation is going to prevent it. They may try to find a way to fit Troy into the mis, but it isn't going to be easy.

    Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 02-08-2013 at 04:04 PM.


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    With that kind of rationale, couldn't the same be said of just about every team?
    Yes, and it should be said about every team. Some teams endear themselves to more confidence and others do not.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  10. #20
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I don't agree. I think they'll lose at least a couple of players that they'd really like to keep. Whether or not they admit it is another matter.

    The upcoming draft will be really important, as will whatever lower-level free agent signings they can manage.
    I agree. I don't understand the "We won't lose one player we want" line of thinking. They most certainly will. Shoot, Cinci HAS to add a bunch of $ to their play payroll as they are BELOW the league minimum by quite a bit. They will gladly sign Lewis.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •