Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

.Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents
    Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 7, 2013 - 12:17pm
    How did the Pittsburgh Steelers get into this situation? The usually fiscally sound organization has fallen on hard times with the salary cap.

The philosophy of pushing money into the future ended with the new CBA, and the Steelers are at the front of the line for paying back it’s long due credit line.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if you thought last year was tough, this year will be brutal.
    He’s referring to the impending slashing of veterans as the “March Massacre.” Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert gave an indication in January that major changes were going to happen, but no one expected what Bouchette is envisioning:

“The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents, and they might have to lose a few more veterans if they don’t agree to take less money in 2013, they are so far over the salary cap that they would not be able to fill a 53-man roster without doing all of that,” Bouchette said.

Bouchette continues:

“The bloodletting that occurred last year when they released three longtime stars could be a drop in the bucket as to what occurs over the next month, which could resemble their March Massacre.”

Looks like many players will be shaking in their boots, and it appears the Steelers FO is very serious.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-07-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Two things, Ed Bouchette is in the selling news paper business. And second, those three long time veterans the released last year?....they personally did not want them to return. Had nothing to do with money.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Two things, Ed Bouchette is in the selling news paper business. And second, those three long time veterans the released last year?....they personally did not want them to return. Had nothing to do with money.
    That was last year, this year is a different story as they are strapped financially. To become cap compliant, there will be changes in the roster and contracts reworked for the ones who want to remain a Steeler.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The only free agent I am concerned about is Keenan Lewis.

Legend

User Info Menu

I actually see Troy, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Wallace gone right out of the gates.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    The only free agent I am concerned about is Keenan Lewis.
    Him and Foster of me.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I actually see Troy, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Wallace gone right out of the gates.
    I still cant see them cutting Polamalu. Mendy and Wallace can walk freely, I'm sure the organization would love to show them the door.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    I still cant see them cutting Polamalu. Mendy and Wallace can walk freely, I'm sure the organization would love to show them the door.
    if he is unwilling to take a serious pay cut he won't be a Steeler next year.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bleacher Report (yes, not very accountable) was claiming Clark is gonna get the Ax...

Who is due spring roster bonuses?
    -Zachintosh66- (SCM 1135)
    1. Tavon Austin, WR/RB, WV (trade back)
    2. Matt Elam, S, Flor
    3. Jesse Williams, DT, 'bama
    3. Robert Woods, WR USC (*from NE)
    4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Mich St (*from trade)
    4. Jaime Collins, OLB, So MIss
    5. Robert Lester, S, 'Bama (*from trade)
    5. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
    6. Landry Jones, QB, 'Bama
    7. AJ Klein, ILB, Iowa St.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That is a possibilty Shawn, how many games has Troy played the last three years. It's to a point they can't rely on him being healthy for any extended period of time.
    As for Harrison, he'll have to take a steep pay cut.

It's hard to make decisions like this with popular long time Steelers like Troy and James, but at the end of the day business supercedes everything. I would love to keep Harrison one of my favorite players but realize the Steelers have to make tough decisions that fans may not like, its part of the game.

I don't think they would release Troy, but the Steelers have to do what's best for the future of the team not just this coming season.