Pre-Combine Notes 2.0
[/URL]Two weeks from Saturday the offensive linemen take the field of Lucas Oil Stadium as the workouts for the 2013 NFL combine officially begin. Until then we will fill you on how the preparation is going for many of the invitees as well as the latest word on free agency. Update Feb 5th- Fluker in the mid 1st?
- Since declaring for the draft we’ve graded Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker
as a second round choice. It seems a number of teams have a higher opinion of the big tackle and feel Fluker won’t make it out of round one. Many in the scouting community think Fluker does not make it past the 21st pick of round one, presently held by the Cincinnati Bengals
. In fact some confided Fluker may be a better fit for the New York Giants
at pick 19. Despite not playing at the Senior Bowl due to groin and calf issues, teams were blown away during weigh-ins when Fluker measured just under 6-feet, 5-inches and tipped the scales at 355-pounds. His arm length of 36.38-inches was the clincher. Those we’ve spoken with love Fluker’s game film against LSU (Mingo & Montgomery) and Georgia (Jones). On a personal note I was introduced to Fluker on Sunday of the Senior Bowl by a long time friend from Mobile and was impressed with the big right tackle. Fluker really comes off as articulate, respectful and likable.
- Many chided Fluker’s teammate, safety Robert Lester
, for poor play at the Senior Bowl. But the hard hitting safety told a number of people he is just spent from the long 2012 campaign.
- Most have questioned the speed of Washington State junior receiver Marquess Wilson
, who opted to enter the draft. According to sources Wilson timed in the low 4.4’s at Wazzu and hopes for a repeat performance at the combine later this month. Presently the wide out is in Orlando training with Tom Shaw.
- We’ve alerted readers all along the concern with junior quarterback Tyler Bray
of Tennessee has been one of maturity as well as off the field issues. Bray is aware of these concerns and sources tell me he’s been working hard in the pre-draft process to alleviate these fears. The junior passer has been working with former NFL quarterback Ty Detmer, who’s helping Bray understand what is means to be a professional quarterback and what will be expected of him. Thus far the results have been positive as the trainers and coaches in Carson, California, where Bray has been preparing for the combine, have referred to the strong armed passer as “humble” and “coachable”.
- Several sources have confirmed USC has pushed back its pro-day from the second week of March until the end of the month. The workout was originally slated to coincide with the UCLA pro-day on March 12th but players were recently told the date has been changed to the end of the month. We initially heard March 27th as the replacement date but there’s been no confirmation of that yet. Sources close to the situation told us the reason for moving it back on the calendar was to make sure quarterback Matt Barkley
is prepared to throw. We’ve not spoken with anyone from Barkley’s camp but those in the know tell us they will be surprised if the Trojan quarterback takes part in any of the combine workout.
- Sources tell me Alabama defensive end Quinton Dial
, who has received a combine invitation, recently underwent toe surgery and will be out a few months. The expectation is Dial will only participate in medical exams at the combine.
- So whatever happened to Marquis Jackson
, the former pass rushing terror who transferred from Texas Southern to Portland State? Entering the season scouts stamped Jackson with a third round grade as he was one of the highest rated IAA seniors in the nation. Jackson finished the 2012 season with 36 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, compared to 50/18.5/6 in 2011. Sources from the area tell us it was a case of senioritis as PSU coaches say Jackson was a big disappointment. The over riding theme is Jackson should have entered the 2012 draft or thrown his name into last July’s supplemental draft, which was rumored at the time.