Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Super Bowl In Pittsburgh

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A Super Bowl In Pittsburgh

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3423848-74/bowl-super-pittsburgh#axzz2K71SpMAb[/url]

While it's unlikely I wonder why they can have one in N.J. but not in other cold climates. Before they even decided to host a SB in N.J, I thought it should of been done years ago.
    In these tough economic times hosting a Super Bowl brings a ton of cash into the City, one like the Burgh could use an economic boost as I'm sure others can too.

I guess they will use N.J as a test to see if its feasible to have some future SB's in cold weather City's, I hope it works out so a City like the Burgh could have one.

[url]http://pix.mdmpix.com/680/2009/2009-08-29_011/West-End-Overlook-of-Pittsburgh-PA.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-06-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I doubt Heinz Field has the seating capacity. Would be cool if the birthplace of pro football got one though.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I doubt Heinz Field has the seating capacity. Would be cool if the birthplace of pro football got one though.
    Great take on this with the birth place ! I'm sure the seating, hotels etc are apart of this all. This shouldn't be the case in my opinion. The Super Bowl should visit a different city each season in my opinion. They'll get their money despite the seating capacity.
    Since Goodell has taken over, no one has ever claimed the NFL is fair or run without bias.

Starter

User Info Menu

Having the Super Bowl in any cold weather city is just one of many HORRIBLE ideas brought to fruition by Rodger Dodger. I could care less about revenue. What about the integrity of the game? Would Pittsburgh or New England not have a huge advantage over New Orleans or Atlanta in a February blizzard game in New York?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Great take on this with the birth place ! I'm sure the seating, hotels etc are apart of this all. This shouldn't be the case in my opinion. The Super Bowl should visit a different city each season in my opinion. They'll get their money despite the seating capacity.
    Since Goodell has taken over, no one has ever claimed the NFL is fair or run without bias.
    This is what I thought for years, since they all conrtibute to the revenue stream why can't it be done.
    As for the Burgh they are working on adding more seats, but since the day HeiNZ Field was built, I thought why didn't they make it an 80,000 capacity stadium in the first place?
    There is a waiting list for season tickets so I'm sure they would fill that stadium with no problem, now they want to add seats.

Anyway, I do give Goodell credit for trying the cold weather venue, this is a first and could lead to other City's hosting the big game. As the article stated, could you imagine the 50th, SB being played in the Burgh, and with the Steelers in it. Boy that would be awesome, and as I said a boost to the local economy.

From what I'm hearing they are planning more hotels and the North Side of Pittsburgh is being renovated with that in mind.
    That sight, comming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnels is awesome for someone who hasen't visited the Burgh, the entire City openS up in front of your eyes its like.... BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They are having 2nd thoughts about all of the logistics for this NY SB already. I read somewhere that there may be no halftime show or a limited one because of the cold weather. doh.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Having the Super Bowl in any cold weather city is just one of many HORRIBLE ideas brought to fruition by Rodger Dodger. I could care less about revenue. What about the integrity of the game? Would Pittsburgh or New England not have a huge advantage over New Orleans or Atlanta in a February blizzard game in New York?

These teams play in the cold anyother time when scheduled that way or if they are a cold weather team to start with. I do agree about if a blizzard would rush in to the area and shut the city down and prevent fans from attending. Not only that you could possibly have airports shut down and what have you. And once again while sitting the fezziwig fence I go back to the same thought of, it's everything these teams deal with throughout the season so why not the Super Bowl. It will always be a topic of discussion or arguement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Imagine a Super Bowl with high winds, lots of snow/ice and sub-zero temperatures. I think the result would be miserable for every single person involved, from the players to the viewers.

If you want to host the Super Bowl, you should build a dome.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree that it 'SHOULD' be hosted in warm weather cities or domes. However, if they are going to start having it in open air outdoor stadiums in the north in February, then it has to be open to every NFL city that has the venues to host such an event, and not just limited to certain ones. Pittsburgh has all the necessary ammenities other than the seating. Get on the ball Rooney's! Should of put seating in the closed end upon its initial construction!
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    These teams play in the cold anyother time when scheduled that way or if they are a cold weather team to start with. I do agree about if a blizzard would rush in to the area and shut the city down and prevent fans from attending. Not only that you could possibly have airports shut down and what have you. And once again while sitting the fezziwig fence I go back to the same thought of, it's everything these teams deal with throughout the season so why not the Super Bowl. It will always be a topic of discussion or arguement.
    The difference is in the Super Bowl weather can be avoided, by hosting the game at fair weather locations. The NFL has an obligation to put teams on as even a playing field as possible in the leagues biggest game. This obligation is not only to the teams, but to the fans as well.